Have you Adopted a New Team to Cheer for Yet?

WordsOfWisdom

I could never really 'cheer' for any team not named The Toronto Maple Leafs. But, I don't mind Edmonton right now. I really enjoy watching McDavid and all the other young talent they have.

I'm not so intrested, though as to actually watch a whole game in the middle of the bloody night so I watch the condensed version of their games on my hockey streaming service. 

But, when they play the Leafs, I hate them.... :lol:

P.S. @WordsOfWisdom, I'm really surprised to hear you say that you are not enjoying watching the Leafs this year. This year is the forst in many years that I have actually been able to watch a whole game. I used to get so ticked at them because they weren't trying, that I simply couldn't watch. Losing doesn't bother me right now as long as they do it honestly - while making a real effort for 60 minutes. 

On the bolded, EXACTLY THIS  ^^^^^^^

Losing is bad, no doubt, but there is losing because you don't give a dam, and losing because you try but simply aren't yet good enough.

Last season, it honestly looked like the Leafs didn't care...this year, that's not the case.

I felt the same when my Bolts were bad. There were some years where it was hard to follow the team because we had a bunch of guys on the team who were just glad to get paychecks and get to go to the beach in November as opposed to guys who were out there trying their hardest, despite losing game after game.

I simply cannot follow and/or endorse the former....but, as painful as it can be, can fall right in behind the latter.

Leafs this year DO look like they are trying.

They just aren't good enough and still need to shake loose some of the unnecessary parts in order to evolve into something better.

Given the abyss that is the Toronto Maple Leafs right now, I'm sure CBC is going to start finding ways to broadcast more Habs games on HNIC -- and I may start watching. Seeing the Leafs get bumped from the "big show" might not be a bad thing. They are unwatchable right now.

Back in the mid-90's I became a Nordiques/Avalanche fan because..... well look at who the Leafs had on their team in 1995, 1996, 1997, etc. And that was only a half decade of futility back then... we're going on 15 years now...  (2002 being the last year this team did anything significant.)

If I were to adopt a new team for the short term, who should it be?  Thoughts?  :confused[1]:

Buffalo or Edmonton? But seriously, stay with the Leafs! Because should they start winning, it would taste so much sweeter!

Losing is bad, no doubt, but there is losing because you don't give a dam, and losing because you try but simply aren't yet good enough.

Last season, it honestly looked like the Leafs didn't care...this year, that's not the case.

Well they didn't throw the towel in last year either until about December. ;)  The Leafs "Stanley Cup" this year is a machine full of balls and hopefully a franchise altering and electric player that can make fans take notice. So it's nice that they're playing hard, but they need to ratchet it back a bit to avoid climbing up the standings. The tank is rolling. We don't want to hit a ditch or anything in the next 70 games.  :)

Buffalo or Edmonton? But seriously, stay with the Leafs! Because should they start winning, it would taste so much sweeter!

I figure we've got two more years like this one coming up before the bounceback occurs. There should be a top 5 pick this year, another next year, and one more the year after that. With some clever trades and free agent signings, the Leafs should be where Buffalo/Edmonton are today by 2019.  :cool[1]:

I turn 50 this month....AND if Hexy's plan fails, I know I will die before seeing Lord Stanley lifted by a Flyer captain

Depressing, but maybe true, I'm only a lap and half behind you on the race track of existense. Since the 2010 Final loss I've reframed the whole thing in my mind into hoping my kids get to see one!

I do think Hexy can make this team a contender again, but peeps need to realize this was a 4-6 year rebuild to get there from the day Hexy took the oath of office. I have no expectation for the short term other than to watch the progress of this crop of talent he has percolating, and hopefully see some some watchable hockey along the way

P.S. @WordsOfWisdom, I'm really surprised to hear you say that you are not enjoying watching the Leafs this year.

LOL. :rolleyes:;)   The last year I can remember watching them and enjoying them was probably 2002, 2003, etc.  They had a group of terrific players back then. Lots of star power, lots of real character guys. They were a real hockey team back then.

Today, much of the amusement centers around how many goals the opposition will score against them and how. Maybe that's just my own personal insanity kicking in. You know, watching the same thing over and over and expecting different results. :blink[1]:

It sounds like bandwagoning but last year I kind of picked up the Senators and Stars (God help me for cheering for Dallas anything).

It's almost entirely because of fantasy (I have Benn, Seguin, Spezza, Turris, Stone, and Hoffman). But I started actually watching their games. Last year I had Hamburglar from his second game on (and didn't have Hoffman) and the Sens, in particular, were a really fun, young, team to watch.

The Stars have been fun too. I'm not emotionally invested in either case (except for fantasy points), but they're fun to watch

Archived