Have you Adopted a New Team to Cheer for Yet?

WordsOfWisdom

Given the abyss that is the Toronto Maple Leafs right now, I'm sure CBC is going to start finding ways to broadcast more Habs games on HNIC -- and I may start watching. Seeing the Leafs get bumped from the "big show" might not be a bad thing. They are unwatchable right now.

Back in the mid-90's I became a Nordiques/Avalanche fan because..... well look at who the Leafs had on their team in 1995, 1996, 1997, etc. And that was only a half decade of futility back then... we're going on 15 years now...  (2002 being the last year this team did anything significant.)

If I were to adopt a new team for the short term, who should it be?  Thoughts?  :confused[1]:

@WoW...  now is the time to make the leap my friend.  

Orange and Black is a fitting color scheme this time of year and we **should** be on the upswing if Hextall keeps tracking to his plan.  Sanheim, Konecny, Provorov, Morin, etc... there is a lot to like in the pipeline for philly....  although, there is a lot to hate w/ the current roster (looking at you VLC, RJ and the highest paid AHL player: MacDud).

@wowjocke...  now is the time to make the leap my friend.  

Orange and Black is a fitting color scheme this time of year and we **should** be on the upswing if Hextall keeps tracking to his plan.  Sanheim, Konecny, Provorov, Morin, etc... there is a lot to like in the pipeline for philly....  although, there is a lot to hate w/ the current roster (looking at you VLC, RJ and the highest paid AHL player: MacDud).

If you could get them on long term injured reserve I'm sure the Leafs would take them off your hands!  :)

@WordsOfWisdom Yeah you'll fit right in, Philly hasn't had a Cup in just about as long..... 40 years, 48 years, it might as well be 100, come on over and say the mantra with us...."we were only one player away in 19xx"....

The Leafs aspire to be "one player away" in any year. We dream of being able to look back and say we were even close. :hocky:

Given the abyss that is the Toronto Maple Leafs right now, I'm sure CBC is going to start finding ways to broadcast more Habs games on HNIC -- and I may start watching. Seeing the Leafs get bumped from the "big show" might not be a bad thing. They are unwatchable right now.

Back in the mid-90's I became a Nordiques/Avalanche fan because..... well look at who the Leafs had on their team in 1995, 1996, 1997, etc. And that was only a half decade of futility back then... we're going on 15 years now...  (2002 being the last year this team did anything significant.)

If I were to adopt a new team for the short term, who should it be?  Thoughts?  :confused[1]:

Well, I had been a suffering Tampa Bay fan before they won their first Cup, then they were horrible a bit after that core could no longer win a second Cup and right before they ramped up to what they have now, so my thinking is: Suffer along with your team...for it will be that much sweeter when victory comes.

But then, I have NO idea what its like to be a suffering Leafs fans, with all the expectations every year regardless of the state of the team, so maybe it isn't the same thing after all.

Still though, if you MUST be a pseudo-fan of another team while yours finds and puts their big boy pants on, I'd suggest going clear across to the other Conference and finding a team that isn't a Toronto rival to root for.

Maybe one with players you like. Or former Leafs who have found their niche elsewhere.

Maybe its just me, but if I were in the Leafs' fans' shoes, I'd find it extremely difficult to root for any Conference rival, seeing them do well, while my own team continues to wallow in muck.

Not sure how you feel about Western Canadian teams, but might I suggest perhaps being a follower of either the Jets or Oilers?

Those teams still have things to work out, but their futures seem pretty good given the talent and philosophies on each now.

Going back to a thread I started some time back on this site, I STILL will maintain that the Oilers will be the next Canadian based franchise to hoist the Stanley Cup.

When?

Who knows, but they will do it ahead of the other Canadian franchises.....and yep, that includes Montreal. ;)

You heard it here first!

American based teams....perhaps the Dallas Stars with their high powered offense, so so defense, so so goaltending, and sandpaper-like play may be the way to go for you.

That description sorta sounds like some of the better 90's Leafs teams actually...

Or maybe go back to following the Avs for a bit.

Well, I had been a suffering Tampa Bay fan before they won their first Cup, then they were horrible a bit after that core could no longer win a second Cup and right before they ramped up to what they have now, so my thinking is: Suffer along with your team...for it will be that much sweeter when victory comes.

Even a murderer only suffers for 25 years. :P

But then, I have NO idea what its like to be a suffering Leafs fans, with all the expectations every year regardless of the state of the team, so maybe it isn't the same thing after all.

Still though, if you MUST be a pseudo-fan of another team while yours finds and puts their big boy pants on, I'd suggest going clear across to the other Conference and finding a team that isn't a Toronto rival to root for.

Maybe one with players you like. Or former Leafs who have found their niche elsewhere.

Let's go........... Blues?  :thumbsu: Hmmmmm..........    :huh:

I'm a rabid Flyer fan since 1972, but recently adopted a fondness for the Jets. I didn't want to. I was dead set against it actually.

The problem is this: the Jets play the game the way it should be played, which I learned as a Flyer fan. Big, fast, and skilled (people forget how skilled the bullies were). The Jets are an easy team to like just with that, but they are also exciting to watch, especially at home where the atmosphere is always electric and loud. It's just plain fun.

The problem is this: the Jets play the game the way it should be played...

You mean with sticks and elbows held high, an ice surface littered with spilt beer and teeth, and glass covered with blood?  :wub[1]:

Big, fast, and skilled

Oh. Nevermind.  ;)

(I kid. I enjoy the skilled game of today. Although if a team has no skill, I think they need to develop a gimmick to keep things interesting. The Leafs could develop a reputation for being cheap shot artists for example lol.)

I turn 50 this month....AND if Hexy's plan fails, I know I will die before seeing Lord Stanley lifted by a Flyer captain....THAT is how much is riding on Hexy....and hey, he appears to know what he is doing....like his patience....suck if you have to Flyers....better thing are coming....someday!!

I turn 50 this month....AND if Hexy's plan fails, I know I will die before seeing Lord Stanley lifted by a Flyer captain....THAT is how much is riding on Hexy....and hey, he appears to know what he is doing....like his patience....suck if you have to Flyers....better thing are coming....someday!!

Yep. The way to the top is through the bottom. 

Is that you Confucius??  :ph34r:

And didn't you also say that "Team who lose many game, not win many at all" and "Sport fan who hit rock bottom be in plenty pain" ? :rolleyes:

LOL. It's kinda like how if you dig a deep enough hole, you'll wind up in China. Or maybe it's more of a circular "wheel of life" kind of thing where if you journey around the bottom of the standings you'll pop up on the other side and be moving back toward the top.   :cool[1]: 

I could never really 'cheer' for any team not named The Toronto Maple Leafs. But, I don't mind Edmonton right now. I really enjoy watching McDavid and all the other young talent they have.

I'm not so intrested, though as to actually watch a whole game in the middle of the bloody night so I watch the condensed version of their games on my hockey streaming service. 

But, when they play the Leafs, I hate them.... :lol:

P.S. @WordsOfWisdom, I'm really surprised to hear you say that you are not enjoying watching the Leafs this year. This year is the forst in many years that I have actually been able to watch a whole game. I used to get so ticked at them because they weren't trying, that I simply couldn't watch. Losing doesn't bother me right now as long as they do it honestly - while making a real effort for 60 minutes. 

Archived