Couturier & PEB out; team takes dump

mojo1917

Story at 11

so since 14 and 78 have been out of the line up, we are nothing and nowhere.

this seems to  me to be a depth issue, with those guys in the line-up we play pretty decently.  

Move guys up into roles they are not ready for, (Laughton) or roles they don't want and can't perform (Lecavalier) and the whole apple cart tips over.

the good play wasn't an aberration,  the opening day roster can compete and win in the league, the problem is if anything should happen to anyone for more than a game or two and the tenuous skill level of the forward group becomes exposed.  

Story at 11

so since 14 and 78 have been out of the line up, we are nothing and nowhere.

this seems to  me to be a depth issue, with those guys in the line-up we play pretty decently.  

Move guys up into roles they are not ready for, (Laughton) or roles they don't want and can't perform (Lecavalier) and the whole apple cart tips over.

the good play wasn't an aberration,  the opening day roster can compete and win in the league, the problem is if anything should happen to anyone for more than a game or two and the tenuous skill level of the forward group becomes exposed.  

this team hasnt been playing well since the season started, it's been the same problems like last year, peb or courturier is not going to fix this team, it's not fixing giroux or voraeck's scoring problems. this team is what it is until the changes are made on this roster.

@briere48

i think you missed my point, which was/is we are not a deep organization .  any injuries to a couple of players and guys are moved into roles they're not ready for.  this makes it even more difficult for G and V to get going because other teams don't have to worry so much about other guys in the line up.

which was/is we are not a deep organization

Well they have some depth they just can't access it because Mcdud is waived yet still eating 4 mill of the cap space.

And Manning is up yet scratch because he isn't much help on the blueline and Vinny....well you know is the only guy they can insert because of said situation.

They have some kids they could call up and help out some maybe not as well as the guys missing but certainly more than Vinny's slothy 7 minutes of playing catchup.

The problem is they don't/won't waive Manning to have access to the reinforcements....and well that is the main problem. Even though i think now Cousins is out hurt from the other night. But had they waived Manning and already called him up he wouldn't have got hurt. Oh well it won't change till they get guys back or they waive Manning to call some guys up.

Flyers Weekly Observations: Nick Schultz a liability

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/flyers-weekly-observations-nick-schultz-liability

It might be time to consider benching Nick Schultz. The veteran defenseman has been brutal this season. He left Jamie McGinn completely untouched in front on Buffalo's second goal Tuesday night. That can't happen. Schultz needs to get a stick on him and/or at least attempt to impede the cross-ice pass from getting to McGinn. How did he follow that up? Well, he was on the ice for all of New Jersey's goals, excluding the empty-netter, on Wednesday. The 33-year-old could be blamed for of two of them, too. He lost his man in front on Travis Zajac's first marker and then was part of a total coverage failure on Zajac's second power-play tally of the night. Schultz was fantastic when he stepped into the lineup at the beginning of last season but his play has drastically tailed off since the Braydon Coburn trade. He's a liability right now and Flyers coach Dave Hakstol knows it. Schultz was removed from the Flyers' top pair with Mark Streit and his role is quickly diminishing. As it should.

HHHHhhhhhmmmmm interesting but who would they insert? Not sure that is even an improvement. Thoughts. Gripes. Suggestions.......

Didnt they come back to beat Boston (after a certain incident)? Then they played the Rangers pretty well...

I think they have depth but they just wont/cant use it for some reason. They had a lot of energy when the young guys played in preseason, but when guys start going down, VLC or L Schenn is the replacement. I guess its because of cap situations?

I know they want to develop those guys in the AHL, but I would almost welcome any short term injury just to see what those guys could do in the NHL for a few games.

When they are healthy and play their best, to a man, they can be quite competitive as we saw especially in the Ranger's game. The thing that separates pretty good teams and great teams are their ability to perform at their best, together, on a consistent basis. This group of characters has not been able to do that over any real stretch of time. This is going back how many years now? 4? 

We have roster problems because of cap constraints and we're not very deep as a result.  A few key injuries and we're seeing just what we should expect. They don't have the depth to have guys in key roles replaced. This is why we're a bubble team at best... and rightly so. 

I think, at the risk of sounding like a pull string doll... this is a rebuild year and we really can't expect too much here. This is all par for the course. 

They don't have the depth to have guys in key roles replaced

They have some depth not saying they will be as good as the guys they've lost. But they have issues accessing that talent due to the cap issues created by Homer!!!

And we've seen that adding Vinny and his 7 and 6 minutes of ice time did nothing to help infact all it did was mess up their ability to roll 4 effective lines. Once again i'm not saying this is the reason they lost but it certainly didn't help.

I think Hak and Hexy recognised this and the reason Conner was recalled and Vinny returned to popcorn duty. The want to roll 4 lines. It is their style now and when they can't they just don't look anywhere as effective.

The sad news is this is a perfect example why no club would take a chance on Vinny.

Now they (the other NHL clubs) have two games to show all he will do is f**k up any rhythm your club has or will establish. He just isn't an NHL player any longer...his wheels or lack thereof are apparent to even Ray Charles the NHL scout.

They have some depth not saying they will be as good as the guys they've lost. But they have issues accessing that talent due to the cap issues created by Homer!!!

You are NOT wrong. That is kinda what I meant too, I've just come to accept the cap screw that we're in I guess maybe a bit too much. Of course, I was pulling for Vinny the last 2 games... I really was. But.. wow. He looks slower than me on my over 30 team. 

Of course, I was pulling for Vinny the last 2 games... I really was. But.. wow. He looks slower than me on my over 30 team. 

Yes and then the interference call the last game he took and then the Sabres turn around and scored right after that was all Hak could take i'd imagine he'd seen enough to know the only thing he could use Vinny for was if a skating pylon was to get hurt and need some rest he could use Vinny as something for the players to skate around..........that is it. He sucketh!!!

Archived