LV Phantoms and other Flyers Prospect discussions 2015-2016

pilldoc

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LV 2 - BRI 0. Taylor Leier (20th) scores just 13 seconds into the 2nd period. First one to crease to nudge rebound of Colin McDonald shot.

End 2: LV 3 - BRI 0. Samuel Morin (5th) first to rebound in crease after Danick Martel shot off post then off back of goalie.

Was at game today in Bridgeport! First Bridgeport looked wasted and Phantoms were all over them. Now for players Sanheim was a great skater up front a lot got back on a play were he screwed up on and then  broke up the breakaway . He is at least 2 years away needs strength. Morin liked him alot will be a good one but another year in A will be good  to grow into is body and skills. Hagg he is keeper too all d but knows how to get the puck up and on net . Alt and Wilcox look good  too Wilcox needs same as others Alt might make team! Also like Leier a call up next year ,Kubel a year or two away same as above. Lindblom might be a steal a year down will be good!!! Stolarz will be a back up soon big team or just injury call up keep giving him reps. Hextall  please  be patience with them.

PROVOROV EARNS WEEKLY HONOUR

crop_27639178_27_1460397495.jpeg

http://www.wheatkings.com/article/provorov-earns-eekly-honour

Apr 11, 2016 - 13:02 CDT

Calgary, AB - The Western Hockey League announced today that Brandon Wheat Kingsdefenceman Ivan Provorov has been named the WHL Player of the Week for the week ending April 10th, 2016.  

Provorov recorded six points (2g-4a) to go along with a plus-5 rating in three games to propel the Brandon Wheat Kings to three straight playoff victories. 

On Tuesday, April 5th against the Edmonton Oil Kings, Provorov notched two points (1g-1a) to go along with a plus-4 rating as the Wheat Kings knocked off the Oil Kings by a score of 10-3 to win their Round 1 series 4-2. On Friday, April 8th against the Moose Jaw Warriors, Provorov tallied a pair of assists in the Wheat Kings 5-3 victory to take Game 1 of their Round 2 match-up. The following night, Provorov was named the game’s first star as he recorded a goal and an assist to lead the Wheat Kings to a 5-2 win over Moose Jaw in Game 2. 

The 19-year-old native of Yaroslavl, RUS finished the 2015-16 regular season as the League’s top scorer amongst defencemen with 73 points (21g-52a) and a plus-64 rating while appearing in 62 games. The 6-0, 200 lb defenceman is in his second WHL campaign with Brandon and has amassed 134 points (36g-98a) in 122 career WHL regular season contests. 

The WHL has also nominated Carter Hart of the Everett Silvertipsfor the Vaughn CHL Goaltender of the Week award. Hart, a 1998-born netminder from Sherwood Park, AB posted a record of 1-1-0-0 with a 1.02 goals against average and a .966 save percentage with one shutout. On Friday, April 8th, Hart had a solid outing as he turned aside 26 shots to guide the Silvertips to a 3-0 shutout win on the road against the Seattle Thunderbirds in Game 1 of their Round 2 series. Hart was named the game’s first star for his performance. On Sunday, April 10th, Hart claimed third star honours after stopping 30 of 32 shots in the Silvertips 3-1 loss to the Thunderbirds in Game 2. Currently in his second WHL campaign with Everett, Hart has posted a 53-29-3-7 record with a 2.22 goals against average and a .917 save percentage with 10 shutouts in 95 career WHL regular season appearances. 

Provorov and the Wheat Kings travel to Moose Jaw Monday for games three and four of their WHL Eastern Conference Semi Final series with the Warriors.

What an incredible stat for Provs...+64 in 62 WHL regular season games!!   I watched Game #5 in Brandon's series against Victoria. Provs looked like a man among boys. He was all over the ice, just a silky smooth skater who anticipates almost everything that happens before it comes to fruition. His skill level is just sick!!

As if you didn't have enough reason to tune into the Wheat Kings series against the Moose Jaw Warriors (Brandon leads 2-0 at the moment).....how about watching his teammate, Nolan Patrick, a center who just happens to be ranked #1 in the 2017 NHL draft. I don't think he is a lock, cause I've seen a few different guys ranked at the top of the 17 draft....but wow, did Nolan ever stick out in the game I watched.

I'm starting to get a nice feel for the talent level at the top of the 17 draft, cause Spitfire Gabriel Vallardii was previously ranked #1 and has now been bumped out of the top 5 by some mock drafts...

http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2017/

Anybody bumping down Vallardi must be wicked good, cause this kid has jaw dropping skill and wicked wheels.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Wow Flyer prospect channeling his inner Ivan/Travis impressive skate in with the puck!!!

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/gotta-see-waked-huskies-howling-ot-winner/?row=0&row_id=1617293

Sweet assist on the GWer!!!

He does look good there. Speed with the puck kills

On 4/12/2016 at 11:28 AM, OccamsRazor said:
I wonder who will be chosen and is there a limit on how many???

There's no limit. My guess is we see McDonald, Conner, Leier, Straka, Lindblom, Alt, Morin, Drewiske, Sanheim, and Stolarz 

1 hour ago, RJ8812 said:

There's no limit. My guess is we see McDonald, Conner, Leier, Straka, Lindblom, Alt, Morin, Drewiske, Sanheim, and Stolarz 

I'd throw Hagg in there too he has been playing better from what i have been ready. Like 3 goals the last 4 games. In fact he has scored one tonight. It's 1-1 as of this typing. Martel and Straka could be added as well.

I like what Lindblom and Aube-Kubel have shown so far.  Nowhere ready for the Bigs yet but both have very impressive offensive potential.  The whole defense thing is new to them right now, but they look better each game.  I hope to see both with the Phantoms all next year.  It would be nice to see a decent product for a change up in Allentown.

All right Flyer fans....the Hockey News has just released it's much anticipated Future Watch issue (I always get giddy when I see it on the rack!). As per tradition, I will type out the Flyers top 10 prospects word for word, I realize some just don't have access etc...

Written by Wayne Fish

Team Title : In Defense of Scorers

Philly has restocked it's system with promising forwards who will complement a deep blueline.

Grade B+/ Rank #9

So much has been said and heard about Philadelphia's stable of stellar defense prospects that a talented group of forwards almost gets lost in the shuffle. Flyers GM Ron Hextall nods his head at the possible oversight.He's quick to point out that several of teams top youngsters have made significant strides of late. "I know everybody focuses on our defense," Hextall said,"but we are excited about our forwards. Travis Konecny, Nicolas Aube-Kubel, Radel Fazleev, these are good players. They will stay the course and, in time, hopefully be on the big team."

1)Ivan Provorov (Ranked 4th best prospect out of the top 50 league wide)

D, 19, 6-0, 200

Brandon (WHL)

2015 Draft, 7th overall

49-13-41-54-14

The Russian was rated one of the top players at WJC and tied for 10th in scoring. "He has to get stronger" is the only disclaimer Hextall could come up with. "The reason we're very excited is he's a well-rounded player," He's as good defensively as he is offensively. He plays the game the right way, and he seldom makes mistakes. His hockey sense is elite and, to me, that's what makes him the player he is.He's competitive. He works hard and is very focused."

2)Travis Sanheim (Ranked 16th best prospect out of the top 50 league wide)

D, 19, 6-4, 199

Calgary (WHL)

40-10-41-51-54

2014 Draft, 17th overall

Sanheim was banged up to start the season and didn't get as good a look at the WJC as scouts would have liked. Still, he's a building block of Philly's defense. "He's a good defender, and we want him to become a better one" Hextall said. "A little bit more assertiveness. Overall, we are happy with his development. His strength has been an issue since he got drafted. He's gained 12 pounds - 14 pounds. He still has work to do in that area, but he's a 19 yearl old kid who will only get better and stronger.    

3)Travis Konecny (Ranked 29th best prospect out of the top 50 league wide)

C, 18, 5-10, 176

Sarnia, OHL 

51-23-60-83-21

2015 Draft 24th overall

The OHL's Ottawa 67's traded Konecny to Sarnia, where he caught fire on a contender. Hextall notes Konecny captained the 67's at 17. He showed off his speed and playmaking at the WJC. "Travis is a high-character kid." Hextall said. "Works hard.He's got speed and a lot of attributes we value. If there are any negatives, it might be turnovers, but you might be saying the same about any player until he reaches 35. He can manage the puck a bit better, but he makes a lot happen."           

4)Samuel Morin (just missed the cut, 51st out of the top 50 prospects league wide)

D, 20, 6-7, 227

Leigh Valley, AHL

54-3-12-15-84

2013 Draft, 11th overall

Sam Gagner returned from his AHL stint calling Morin "a beast". "He can move guys away in a hurry," he said, Morin models his game after Chris Pronger. Can he meet that lofty standard? "He's a big, physical guy who has to become airtight defensively, " Hexaall said "is he there yet?" I wouldn't say so. He's made strides. He's eager to learn.  He's played within his limitations. He's hard to play against, using his assets well. He's got to get better. He's got to get better at reading the nuances of the game."

5)Robert Hagg

D, 21 6-2, 201

Lehigh Valley, AHL

43-2-3-5-26

2013 Draft, 41st overall

Hagg averaged only 38 games his final two years with Modo in Sweden and jumped to 69 with the AHL Phantoms last year. He still might be transitioning to a more rigorous schedule. "Robert's been a little bit up and down this year," What we expect from him is solid two way play. He moves teh puck well. He's a solid player. His level of work ethic and compete wanes a bit when he gets tired. That's the thing he needs to continue to build.. It takes time, He's 21, but he's still a real young kid."

6)Anthony Stolarz

G, 22, 6-6, 210

Lehigh Valley, AHL

17-11-4, 2.56, .914

2012 Draft, 45th overall

Made AHL All-Star Game. Scouts say he's matured and more confident.

7)Nicolas Aube-Kubel

RW, 19, 5-11, 196

Val-d-Or, QMJHL

50-35-40-75-58

2014, 48th overall

He's become more well rounded defensively and better at managing the puck.

8)Radel Fazleev

C, 20, 6-1, 192

Calgary, WHL

49-17-42-59-36

2014 Draft, 168th overall

Scouts say he's improved vision, skill without sacrificing defensive foundation.

9)Oskar Lindblom

LW, 19, 6-1, 192

Brynas, Sweden

41-7-16-23-14

2014 Draft, 138th overall

Way ahead of schedule, according to Hextall. Biggest improvement: skating.

10)Felix Sandstrom

G-19, 6-2, 191

Brynas, Sweden

9-10-0, 2.51, .910

2015 draft, 70th overall

Flashes of brillance at WJC. Hextall says he likes the "mental toughness."

@jammer2

A nice finish to the season today.

Phantoms close 5-2 

A goal and a helper for Sanheim.

The same for Martel.

Nak with a goal and +2

Reece Willcox a helper +3 

Lindblom with a helper.

Swavely and Brent the other goals.

Stolarz with his 22nd win of the season. Lyons will push him and make a great tandem for the Phantoms next year.

Black Aces time.

7 hours ago, jammer2 said:

HF board thread on Flyer defensive prospect Philippe Myers....a decent read and I figured we could all use some info on him...

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1958267

Kid is a nice find for Hextall. He will help round out the Flyer youth movement on the blueline. I figure he'll at least spend one more year in juniors working on his game and developing. I can't not wait till the day there are no more Schultz, Streit and Mcduds on the team.

22 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Kid is a nice find for Hextall. He will help round out the Flyer youth movement on the blueline. I figure he'll at least spend one more year in juniors working on his game and developing. I can't not wait till the day there are no more Schultz, Streit and Mcduds on the team.

Ya know, the more I read about the kid, the more I like. I'm really liking the fact that beyond the big 4 of Ghost, Provs, Morin and Hagg, the Flyers have seemingly built up some nice insurance, in case one of them monumentally flop.....This Myers kid appears to be a decent prospect. Another guy who does not get talked about much, but I have rather high hopes for is Friedman. My gut says he may even turn out to be better than Hagg in the long run. Just love the depth that Hexy has built on the bluiline. We are gonna have a nice transition game for an entire decade....that is a LOT of nervousness being put on hold....indefinitely. In today's NHL, if you don't have smart elite puck luggers, you will never win, it's become a skill set that was once in high demand, now it's an absolute prerequisite for winning. The fact Hexy acknowledged this and actually made a plan, that is VERY encouraging. The proverbial light at the end of the tunnel!!!

Every year, the Hockey News comes out with it's Future Watch issue. I'm gonna post the top 10 out of the 50 prospects they recognize this year...and yeah, there is some Flyer relevance here.

1)Dylan Strome - Yotes

2)William Nylander - Leafs

3)Mitch Marner - Leafs

4)Ivan Provorov - Flyers

5)Mikko Rantanen - Ave's

6)Zach Werenski - Jackets

7)Ilya Samsonov - Caps

8)Pavel Zacha - Devs

9)Kyle Connor - Jets

10)Christian Dvorak - Yotes

Every year, the scouts combine to name the top prospect...

Players receiving votes...

1)Dylan Strome - 5 first place votes, 4 2nd place, 1 3rd place, 1 4th place...no 5ths, no 6ths..

2)William Nylander - 5 first place votes, 1 2nd place votes, 2 3rd place....no 4th place, 1 fifth place, no 6th place

3)Mitch Marner - no 1sts, 4 2nds, 2 3rds, 1 4th place, no 5th, 1 6th place...

4)Ivan Provorov, 1 1st place, 1 2nd place, 2 3rd place, 2 4th place, 1 5th place, 1 6th place.

5)Mikko Rantanen - no 1st, 1 2nd, no 3rds, 3 4ths, 1 5th, 1 6th.

6)Zach Werenski - no 1st, no 2nds, 1 3rd, 2 4th place, no 5th, 3 6th place.

As you can see, a lot of scouts think very highly of Ivan....the very start of the line of thinking that some teams messed up large by passing him over. I'm sure this topic gets touched on in the future....lol. Although he was not a concensus #1, Ivan was the only prospect that got a vote in every spot from 1st to 6th....which is kinda cool. Everyone thought he belonged in the top 6.

15 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

highlights of the last game of the year for the Phantoms......

http://ahl.neulion.com/ahl/video/lehigh-valley-phantoms-vs-syracuse-crunch/14677

Sanheims first goal.

Funny to see Goulbourne pound Deangelo i thought.

I'm really liking what I see in Goulbourne. He could be the most skilled Flyer tough guy since Tocchet. He has a legit chance to be a Flyer next year, displacing somebody like Vandevelde or another 4th line winger. He can skate and stick up for teammates, so he has a step up on all previous Flyer enforcers. I think the Flyers know the gig is up, you just can't have a tough guy who can't skate any longer....so Gouls is a nice find.

Archived