Leier sent down, Cousins called up

flyerrod

What is the reasoning for this? Is it contract control to keep from burning a year on Leier? Leier has played a cautious couple of games and seemed to be gaining a little more confidence and improving taking chances. Why not give him a more than just a little taste of what it is like to play in the NHL? This is not meant as a ding on Cousins, just as a " What the hell are they doing?" now question.

Could be with Umberger skating now and close to a return, they want to give Hakstol a look at Cousins in regular season action. See if he fits on the left, and see whether he or Leier is a better fit going forward.

What is the reasoning for this? Is it contract control to keep from burning a year on Leier?

No his contract year is already in effect of burning a year. Once you are in the AHL you are burning years of the ELC. The only exception are like when Hagg came over at 19 (his contract slid last year because he was 19).

His contract slid and Lindblom's could've slid if he came over...Euros can come over early and their contract can slid if they don't turn 20 before december 15th of the year they are playing in the AHL.

Not sure why he was sent back unless they wanted to get a guy up who could play center or wing. Plus Cousins is a nice agitator to replace that element White brought.

I like Leier and his game.

I also think he is a player that could really stand to gain some confidence and grow in the A.

If everyone handles this right, he will work hard play important minutes and excel doing it, so the next year, he will will make it impossible for Hextall to send him to LV.

He strikes me as a smart and high motor kid so, I don't expect him to mope and I hope the "brain trust" tells him to make the most of his opportunities. 

I like Leier and his game.

I also think he is a player that could really stand to gain some confidence and grow in the A.

If everyone handles this right, he will work hard play important minutes and excel doing it, so the next year, he will will make it impossible for Hextall to send him to LV.

He strikes me as a smart and high motor kid so, I don't expect him to mope and I hope the "brain trust" tells him to make the most of his opportunities. 

I agree now it gives him a taste of the next level and more of an idea to him on where he needs to improve himself now he knows for sure.

He doesn't have to just rely on hearing it from coach he has seen it first hand now actually playing against NHL guys.

Now he now like he may certainly need to hit the weight room some and increase his overall body strength.

Or just work on his over all game now in the AHL so he can eventually return to the NHL some day.

I think he will be a good bottom 6 guy in the near future maybe even bottom 9.

Archived