Team Coming of Age

Howie58

Greetings:

I did not expect this team to be 18-12-4 after the start they had. But we may be witnessing a group coming of age.  The youngsters are growing up and goalkeeping is competent. Tallon's patience is paying off.

Panthers have been building towards this sort of growth for awhile now.

The past couple seasons, they have always had the work ethic, the desire to compete, the youth, some veteran leadership which has grown even greater now...only thing they were missing were competitive structure and the ability to score on a consistent basis.

The scoring is still a work in progress, but yea, they seem to definitely be moving in the right direction.

And while vets such as Shawn Thornton, Jaromir Jagr, and Roberto Luongo are past their primes, it says a lot when guys like that are willing to go through growing pains with a young team with still an eye for post season play and to possibly win "one more time" before they call it a career.

The real travesty here is that, outside of hardcore hockey fans, not many notice because attendance at Panthers games is abysmal, and the team itself has a poor presence on the local Miami sports scene.

Even with bad attendance, if the marketing and raising the profile of the team were more prominent, maybe more would take notice.

Real shame.

Even though the Panthers are rivals to my Lightning, I am still rooting for them to continue to do well.......SOMEBODY has to take notice and decide, "Hey, you know what? There is some real gold to be had here.......let me put some money into raising awareness for the team"

Of course, end result could be people in the Miami market simply don't care that much about hockey....in which case, some other city may end up with a VERY good team for years to come.

These definitely are not your expansion Panthers anymore.

Youth, speed, and compete level dialed to 11 are the norm with these guys....and they have some very good veterans showing those young men the way.

Good foresight for sure, by the Florida GM.

Greetings:

I did not expect this team to be 18-12-4 after the start they had. But we may be witnessing a group coming of age.  The youngsters are growing up and goalkeeping is competent. Tallon's patience is paying off.

agree Howie, this is a fun team to watch.  If they make the playoffs this year it will help their financial troubles.

I luv Barkov's game.   I have him in all 3 of my 3 fhl teams.

Greetings:

I was at tonight's game versus Columbus. Barkov with two.  Luongo let in some softees but good enough to win.  If this keeps up people will take notice. Cripes...they are ahead of Detroit.....never thought I'd witness that.

Howie

Well, seven in a row, against the Habs no less.  Amazing.  I think some folks will start to notice this squad. It is no fluke.  Barkov with another two. 

Howie

The HBJ line is dynamic, they are the main contributors for the teams success, as well as Luongo and Ekblad.

agree Howie, this is a fun team to watch.  If they make the playoffs this year it will help their financial troubles.

I luv Barkov's game.   I have him in all 3 of my 3 fhl teams.

https://youtu.be/ogQkWzpUrzs

Barkov is one of those players that already possessed adequate defensive awareness when arriving in the NHL. Now his offense is vastly improving, and has been the teams best and most consistent forward throughout the season.

Definitely a Foreseeable selke candidate IMO

Florida makes it 9 in a row now, the latest win coming over my Minnesota Wild in a tough gritty game by the Panthers that saw them match physical play with physical play, a game that saw underrated backup Al Montoya look superb, and a game that saw the Panthers score opportunistically, despite the fact that they only tallied twice.

Granted, the Minnesota Wild gifted them the first goal 27 seconds into the game, but that doesn't take away from the fact that the Panthers were savvy enough to jump on the chance and make good.

I am about as surprised as anyone these Panthers are sitting atop the Atlantic Division, but I am NOT surprised they are playing well.

I had them as a dark horse team to make the playoffs as a wild card, but from the looks of it, they are making a bid to finish in at LEAST one of the top three guaranteed divisional playoff spots......if not the top itself.

We will see if this team has the chops to stay on top once Montreal gets Carey Price back, if Boston continues their own surprising push, and if either the Red Wings or Bolts finally figure things out and make a run of their own.

But winning attracts fans........even in Sunrise, so congrats to the Panthers for a well deserved place amongst the top teams currently in the NHL.

Archived