What's up with Price and McDavid?

BluPuk

Seems to me these two players, among the best of the best, are taking an awful long time to 'recover'. Any chance they're being rested for the play-offs?

How long does a broken collar bone take to heal? What, exactly is wrong with Carey Price?

Just seems odd to me.  :hocky:

Seems to me these two players, among the best of the best, are taking an awful long time to 'recover'. Any chance they're being rested for the play-offs?

How long does a broken collar bone take to heal? What, exactly is wrong with Carey Price?

Just seems odd to me. :hocky:

Not sure why. Two franchise players on two teams not wanting to risk further injury. Collar bones: 8 weeks. Isn't Price's a groin? Goalies and groins not something to mess around with.

A couple of years ago, I came across an excellent blog: http://undisclosedinjury.blogspot.ca/

Conveniently enough, his most recent entry is about McDavid:

In fact, the clavicle is the first bone to ossify (turn into bone) in the human skeleton, taking place in the embryo during the 5th and 6th weeks of gestation. However, it's one of the last bones in the body to finish ossification, at somewhere around 21-25 years of age. This is huge, considering McDavid is only 18 and his body is still developing. This can explain why his recovery may take longer than Patrick Kane's (26 YO) which was only 7 weeks.

and

Re-injury is not common. According to a literature review published in The Physician and Sportsmedicine Journal in March 2015, nonunion can range from <1% to 15% in published studies while re-fracture rates are between 1% and 2%. McDavid will undergo surgery today. I'd say his timeline for return is more 8-12 weeks given his age and status (young franchise player, regular season). Look for him in early 2016.

Connor McDavid ahead of schedule in recovery from broken collarbone: report

Connor McDavid has already impressed as an NHL player on the ice and now is garnering attention for his healing powers away from the rink.

The Edmonton Oilers rookie centre is ahead of schedule in his recovery from a broken left collarbone, general manager Peter Chiarelli told Sportsnet on Thursday.

It's believed McDavid, who was expected to be out months after he fell awkwardly and slid into the end boards with two Philadelphia defencemen in a Nov. 3 game, could return to game action shortly after his 19th birthday on Jan. 13.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/connor-mcdavid-recovery-broken-collarbone-1.3339444

Essentially, things are progressing well for McDavid, and his recovery is not extended at all.

Any chance they're being rested for the play-offs?

unless the Oilers go on a tremedous run..they are not making the playoffs.  No reason to rush a collarbone.  You want to make sure it is properly healed. (see Romo, Tony...of the ill-fated Cowboys.  Many speculated he came back to soon and look what happened...on an innocent sack he was reinjured)  McDavid is THE future of the Oilers. No reason to rush him back.

Agree with @Podein25 ..... goalies and groins is something that needs to be completely healed.

EDIT....and what @JR Ewing said.  Great find JR!

Price re-injured the exact same injury he had just come back from.

I am all for holding off on Rushing McDavid back. By the sounds of it, he is nearly healthy enough to play now. But why risk it with a franchise cornerstone in a year they don't expect to win?

Draisaitl/Hall have been a revelation together, and Draisaitl was playing super good at RW before McDavid even went down.

Now granted, Yakupov annoys me. His production went invisible when McDavid went away.

They could however legitimately be dangling RNH and Eberle for that coveted top dman they have been searching for.

Archived