What happened to Couturier?

icehole

3 hours ago, icehole said:

Why do most flyer fans want to get rid of B Schenn but would have Couturier's baby if they could?

My brother brought up a good point.  Couturier and schenn are taking the same path.  Both were highly thought of and disappointed in certain ways.  Both can irritate you but help the team in the long run.  The only difference is that Schenn lacks in the defensive game what Couturier lacks in the offensive game.  Why doesn't anyone give any credit to schenn? 

I think people do give credit to Schenn but it is going to boil down to what he is going to get paid on this next contract.  Do you think he will sign a contract similar to what Simmonds has? I don't see him taking less than what Couturier is getting at 4.3 mil per. Maybe sign him to a bridge contract 3 yr max at 4.something ?

8 minutes ago, flyerrod said:

I think people do give credit to Schenn but it is going to boil down to what he is going to get paid on this next contract.  Do you think he will sign a contract similar to what Simmonds has? I don't see him taking less than what Couturier is getting at 4.3 mil per. Maybe sign him to a bridge contract 3 yr max at 4.something ?

Simmonds is criminally underpaid. It's like he got LeClair's agent from his first deal or something. :devil:

That said, I could see Schenn going for Simmonds' rate (or even Read's) for a bridge deal to UFA.

The Flyers clearly wanted to commit to Couturier. I'm not so sure they have the same six-year idea with Schenn at this point.

Brayden is on pace for career highs - but not blowing away his previous numbers. Just incrementally going in the right direction. I think he's getting more comfortable on the ice and in a more consistent role

26 minutes ago, flyerrod said:

If Schenn would get the identical contract that couturier has, would everyone be happy with that?

If you look at the numbers, they're pretty close.  Couturier has a few more games but he has less goals and assists.  Schenn has better offensive points but a worse +/-.  To me, they are at the same level but with different roles.

I honestly believe if schenn got the Couturier contract, people would be upset and I just don't understand why?

2 minutes ago, icehole said:

If Schenn would get the identical contract that couturier has, would everyone be happy with that?

If you look at the numbers, they're pretty close.  Couturier has a few more games but he has less goals and assists.  Schenn has better offensive points but a worse +/-.  To me, they are at the same level but with different roles.

I honestly believe if schenn got the Couturier contract, people would be upset and I just don't understand why?

I wouldn't be upset by it. 20/50 guys in this league are going for around $4.5M at this point so if one sees Schenn as being that sort of player over the next five years, that would be a "good" deal.

And I think he'll be around that production.

Just STAY AWAY from the NM/NTCs

6 hours ago, icehole said:

Why do most flyer fans want to get rid of B Schenn but would have Couturier's baby if they could?

My brother brought up a good point.  Couturier and schenn are taking the same path.  Both were highly thought of and disappointed in certain ways.  Both can irritate you but help the team in the long run.  The only difference is that Schenn lacks in the defensive game what Couturier lacks in the offensive game.  Why doesn't anyone give any credit to schenn? 

i don't know, i have to say it baffles  me too.  Schenn is one of the few guys that scores independently of Giroux, good teams need scoring depth... i would be bummed if we were to trade Schenn for anything less than a disgusting overpayment.  I was bummed that we traded his brother, i get it , but i still think Luke is an NHL defenseman , he's not a franchise guy but he has found his role and plays it. 

i think 4.5 for 2 or 4 would be a decent contract for a 50pt player.

54 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

i don't know, i have to say it baffles  me too.  Schenn is one of the few guys that scores independently of Giroux, good teams need scoring depth... i would be bummed if we were to trade Schenn for anything less than a disgusting overpayment.  I was bummed that we traded his brother, i get it , but i still think Luke is an NHL defenseman , he's not a franchise guy but he has found his role and plays it. 

I think that was earlier.  At this point both are keepers. 

The aspects of the game Coots had down were more apparent and consistent.  Schenn would come in and out of looking decent and then disappear.  Both look to really solidly have put things together.  I think Schenn gets a decent Coots like Contract this off season and the good news is they may even be able to give it to him and stay under the cap.  

Thanks guys.  That makes me feel better than when I saw the broad street hockey tweet this morning that said

"Just be careful with regards to saying Schenn’s “turned a corner” with 7 points in last 5 games. He’s mainly playing with Sean Couturier."

Like we'really talking about read or umberger turned the corner because they got to play with Couturier.

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

The issue with Luke was his salary and his UFA status. I don't think there was a thought that he isn't an "NHL defenseman" just that he doesn't really fit into the longer term plans of the organization given the young defensive depth coming up and the cap situation. If he was going to be a $4M+ re-sign (which he will likely get) then I don't think he'll be missed.

He got a lot of hate because he was the product of the JVR deal ("hate" which should have been directed at the dope who made the deal) and never "lived up to expectations" from his draft status.

Archived