What happened to Couturier?

icehole

Saw this from Bill Meltzer this morning:

The Flyers have removed the day-to-day description of Sean Couturier's lower-body injury and have placed him on the injured reserve list. While they can back-date it to the time of the injury (he last played on Jan. 19), the fact that he was put on IR over the All-Star break is not an encouraging sign for his readiness to return to practice -- let alone play -- when the team returns to prepare for Tuesday's game against the Montreal Canadiens.

This is my continuing struggle with the media.  Has anyone gone over video to speculate what may have happened?  They were saying lower body injury for a while but I've seen speculation of an upper body or head injury.  So is it a stubbed toe or a career ending concussion?

The Eagles reporters know when any player makes a bowel movement, but flyers reporters can't tell us what happened to a key player when they've been placed on IR.  Ridiculous! 

2 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

Couts sucks.... kid can't skate in this league and will never be a 2nd line center.   :ph34r:;)

I've said that in the past but I've pulled back on that many times.  He doesn't suck but I just get tired of all the worship that he gets for being a well rounded above average player.  I realize they need him on the team and I'd like to know what happened.

In my defense, he did have like 5 points in the first 1/4 ofor the season.

56 minutes ago, icehole said:

I've said that in the past but I've pulled back on that many times.  He doesn't suck but I just get tired of all the worship that he gets for being a well rounded above average player.  I realize they need him on the team and I'd like to know what happened.

That was my fault. I drafted him to my FHL team.

He improved dramatically when I cut him.

:hyper:

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

lower body injury from what i rememeber but good lawd that could be anything below his belly button.................................:drool:

Could be VD! Gonorrhea anyone?

What i'd love to see happen is to send Laughton down......recall Cousins and put him into the lineup. I'd also love to see Alt get a shot at the lineup skating on the bottom pair with Ghost his old defensive partner on the Phantoms.

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

lower body injury from what i rememeber but good lawd that could be anything below his belly button.................................:drool:

According to Jim McCrossin, LBI is anything below the ears....?

4 hours ago, icehole said:

The real evidence on the table is that when he's gone down, they lose a LOT more.  Which just points to what everyone says about his overall game and crap no one likes to care about like Corsi and what not.  

In some ways, I actually wonder if they'd weather Jake or G being down for a few weeks more easily than Coots.  

18 minutes ago, King Knut said:

The real evidence on the table is that when he's gone down, they lose a LOT more.  Which just points to what everyone says about his overall game and crap no one likes to care about like Corsi and what not.  

In some ways, I actually wonder if they'd weather Jake or G being down for a few weeks more easily than Coots.  

I think it was you that I replied to in another thread.  Their wins/losses are not good without him, but most of those games were pre-Ghost.  I think they are 1-2-0 with Ghost and without Couturier.  They weren't winning before Ghost came to the team even with Couturier.  If he's out long term, we'll have to see how that trend goes.

1 hour ago, murraycraven said:

Sounds like Couts could be in the lineup tonight....

So why would they announce LTIR in the middle of the break only to bring him back the first game after the break?  What does that accomplish?

13 minutes ago, icehole said:

So why would they announce LTIR in the middle of the break only to bring him back the first game after the break?  What does that accomplish?

Well, they might not have known for certain he'd be ready, and IR allows the team to replace him on the roster.

Injured Reserve List
In the event that a player is injured and a Club wishes to place him on the Injured Reserve List the Club must follow these procedures:
A club may place a player on the Injured Reserve List if such player is injured, disabled or ill and unable to perform his duties as a hockey player after having passed the Club's initial physical examination in that season.

A player who has an injury that renders him physically unable to play for a minumum of seven days after that date of the injury can be placed on the Club's Injured Reserve List. Once a player is placed on the list, the Club may replace said player on its NHL roster with another player. All determinations that a player has suffered an injury warranting injured reserve status must be made by the Club's medical staff and in accordance with the Club's medical standards.

A player placed on Injured Reserve is ineligible to compete in NHL games for a period of not less than seven days.

Players on Injured Reserve may attend Club meetings and meals, travel with the Club and participate in practice sessions.

On 2/1/2016 at 8:43 AM, icehole said:

I know ice... ;)having a little fun

56 minutes ago, brelic said:

Well, they might not have known for certain he'd be ready, and IR allows the team to replace him on the roster.

Reports have been conflicting.  Either they placed him on IR retroactively(which makes sense), or they placed him on IR Tuesday and didn't announce 'til the weekend for some reason(which makes less sense), but I've read both.  

When you think he's out a game or two, you don't IR him because well who cares, but when it ends up being longer you can place him retroactively, and the roster spot can be opened (not really a factor in this case) and the salary of Gagne or whoever (Wheal I guess) doesn't count against the cap... which for this team is mostly just keeping Hexy's options open in case he decides he's a buyer come the trade deadline.  

4 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Reports have been conflicting.  Either they placed him on IR retroactively(which makes sense), or they placed him on IR Tuesday and didn't announce 'til the weekend for some reason(which makes less sense), but I've read both.  

When you think he's out a game or two, you don't IR him because well who cares, but when it ends up being longer you can place him retroactively, and the roster spot can be opened (not really a factor in this case) and the salary of Gagne or whoever (Wheal I guess) doesn't count against the cap... which for this team is mostly just keeping Hexy's options open in case he decides he's a buyer come the trade deadline.  

Oh wait, Now I get it.  

They put Coots on retroactively in case he can't play tonight because if he can't play tonight, they need the roster spot for Stolarz who's been called up due to Neuvy's injury... which I assume they're just not ready to place Neuvy on the IR.  That will probably happen retroactively in 8 days when he's just about ready to come back.  

5 hours ago, King Knut said:

Oh wait, Now I get it.  

They put Coots on retroactively in case he can't play tonight because if he can't play tonight, they need the roster spot for Stolarz who's been called up due to Neuvy's injury... which I assume they're just not ready to place Neuvy on the IR.  That will probably happen retroactively in 8 days when he's just about ready to come back.  

My head when I try to follow Flyer logic........

Why do most flyer fans want to get rid of B Schenn but would have Couturier's baby if they could?

My brother brought up a good point.  Couturier and schenn are taking the same path.  Both were highly thought of and disappointed in certain ways.  Both can irritate you but help the team in the long run.  The only difference is that Schenn lacks in the defensive game what Couturier lacks in the offensive game.  Why doesn't anyone give any credit to schenn? 

Archived