Prediction: Dion Phaneuf Will Be Traded Before The Deadline

WordsOfWisdom

2 minutes ago, radoran said:

What's the over/under on how many years into the 8-year, max money deal do you think Tronno will want to trade Stamkos?

three?

:devil:

Jeebus, they have eleven guys under contract for next season. Plus six RFAs, but still!

I was kind of joking around, but look at their general fanager page, where they've moved five guys to the IR. It's unreal looking.

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Here come Stamkos....

I can't imagine the Leafs getting Stamkos for the following reasons:

• The timing is all wrong. This is year one of the latest Leafs rebuild. We are at least THREE YEARS away from icing a team that can make the playoffs, let alone do anything when they get there.
  • Stamkos would be flushing prime years of his career down the toilet and achieving nothing in Toronto. I can't imagine that he wants to be part of ground zero for a Leafs rebuild when there are 29 other teams to choose from, all of which are in a better position than the Leafs. 
  • The argument of: "you always get a player like Stamkos when you can" doesn't apply to Toronto fans when you consider the same argument was used for Phil Kessel. The Leafs (under Burke) tried to fast-track the last rebuild and it cost them dearly (Seguin and Hamilton). Getting Stamkos now would be a huge mistake.
  • Stamkos wouldn't make any difference to the Leafs win-loss record when you consider the stiffs surrounding him. 
  • Leafs management is working hard to get rid of bad contracts. I can't see them spending big money or signing anyone to a long term deal right now. None of the Leafs big money contracts ever seem to work out. The players do well, but the team always suffers. 

My two cents. :biggrin:

Archived