Prediction: Dion Phaneuf Will Be Traded Before The Deadline

WordsOfWisdom

We all know that Polak is going to be traded. Parenteau will probably go too. The biggest shocker of them all is that I'm going out on a limb to predict a Phaneuf trade before the trade deadline. This will be one of those trades that flies under the radar and catches everyone by surprise. The Leafs want to turn the page on the Phaneuf era. The "sell job" is kicking into overdrive. Even if they have to eat half his salary, he's gonzo. They did it with Kessel, and they'll do it with Phaneuf. 

:)

3 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

We all know that Polak is going to be traded. Parenteau will probably go too. The biggest shocker of them all is that I'm going out on a limb to predict a Phaneuf trade before the trade deadline. This will be one of those trades that flies under the radar and catches everyone by surprise. The Leafs want to turn the page on the Phaneuf era. The "sell job" is kicking into overdrive. Even if they have to eat half his salary, he's gonzo. They did it with Kessel, and they'll do it with Phaneuf. 

:)

I hope it happens, the man has endured enough and it`s about time he leaves the unhealthy environment that is the Toronto Maple Leafs.

phaneuf.jpg

If these pictures that showcase his descent into unhappiness don`t illicit even an iota of sympathy for the man. You have no soul.

It's certainly a possibility. The clock is ticking on "old" Dion. Because of the length of the re-build, it might be best to trade him now, but I don't agree they should keep any salary. Dion would be a top defenseman on any other team in the NHL. He should garner a first round pick and a prospect with no salary retained. Other teams in the league very much covet a player who can do what Dion does IMHO, and they will be willing to give up something to get him. 

Having said that, I think the Leafs will keep him anyway. Just a feeling.

6 hours ago, JagerMeister said:

I hope it happens, the man has endured enough and it`s about time he leaves the unhealthy environment that is the Toronto Maple Leafs.

phaneuf.jpg

If these pictures that showcase his descent into unhappiness don`t illicit even an iota of sympathy for the man. You have no soul.

All that's missing is the grey hair photo and the photo with hair fallen out lol.  ;)

1 hour ago, BluPuk said:

It's certainly a possibility. The clock is ticking on "old" Dion. Because of the length of the re-build, it might be best to trade him now, but I don't agree they should keep any salary. Dion would be a top defenseman on any other team in the NHL. He should garner a first round pick and a prospect with no salary retained. Other teams in the league very much covet a player who can do what Dion does IMHO, and they will be willing to give up something to get him. 

You think someone is going to take on 7 mil through 2021 and help the Leafs out? His contract is almost as good a NMC as Andrew MacDonald......that said, I would trade you straight up Macdonald for Phanuef. Phanuef is a top pairing d-man right now but will he continue to be over the next 5 years?

2 hours ago, BluPuk said:

Top 4 maybe. Not top 2.

He flies under Burns + Vlasic on the Sharks, and possibly Braun

Seabrook  Keith on the Hawks

Weber and Josi on the preds

Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk on the blues

etc etc.

The teams in need of a player like him seem mostly to be the oilers/Penguins

If you want a goal scorer, I agree with you. But if you want a defenseman who can actually play defence, He's better than anybody on the Habs. And, yes several other teams. He gets no support (or very little) in TO. To each his own. I like my defensemen to play defense first, support the offense second and produce offense last. I like Phaneuf and so does Leafs management. I'll be surprised if they let him go unless they get the deal I stated above. There's no point in trading him otherwise.

12 minutes ago, BluPuk said:

If you want a goal scorer, I agree with you. But if you want a defenseman who can actually play defence, He's better than anybody on the Habs. And, yes several other teams. He gets no support (or very little) in TO. To each his own. I like my defensemen to play defense first, support the offense second and produce offense last. I like Phaneuf and so does Leafs management. I'll be surprised if they let him go unless they get the deal I stated above. There's no point in trading him otherwise.

Normally, I do too. Burns is a profound exception because he is a game breaker offensively.

Phaneuf is good defensively, but not great. I see him as a solid #3 right now, but expect him to degrade faster with his crash and bang catching up with him. But he is definitely not a top pairing Dman on most teams even strictly defensively.

13 minutes ago, BluPuk said:

He gets no support (or very little) in TO

13 minutes ago, BluPuk said:

if you want a defenseman who can actually play defence

I watched a bit of the TOR-OTT game and it is not at all clear to me that Dion can play defense. 

11 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

@flyerrod

Someone who's desperate for a top pairing dman might take it on. Really, really, REALLY desperate.

The Leafs will eat some sh_t  salary to make it happen. Phaneuf at 7 mil is a hard sell, but Phaneuf at 5 mil is a sensible acquisition for a team that needs depth and someone that can log a ton of ice time. It's the perfect insurance policy on a team that is going for the Cup... if they've left themselves the cap space.  :)

29 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Here come Stamkos....

What's the over/under on how many years into the 8-year, max money deal do you think Tronno will want to trade Stamkos?

three?

:devil:

38 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

The Leafs didn't have to hold back salary in the deal. I think they now have the fewest players under contract at the end of a season that I've ever seen...

Jeebus, they have eleven guys under contract for next season. Plus six RFAs, but still!

Archived