STH Townhall Recap 2016 - Hexy presentation

Poulin20

Just now, AJgoal said:

Medvedev doesn't seem to be in their plans. Schenn certainly could get 4.5-5. after that, I don't know.

If VLC thought he was a pariah in Philly, I don't want to know what would happen to his reputation if he changed his mind on retiring in LA. Obviously there's nothing binding, but I'm pretty sure even his agent let it be known he was done after the season - so it'd be hard to say "I never said that," with a straight face.

No, but he could certainly say "I've found new life in Los Angeles"

I really don't think he gives a rat's ass what his reputation is in Philadelphia. And I don't think the rest of the league will shed any tears for the Flyers in this situation...

12 minutes ago, radoran said:

hockeyscap (now capfriendly) has them at $8.3M and change in cap space* going into next season with:

10 forwards

5 defensemen

2 goalies

Schenn/Cousins/Gudas/Weal RFA

I could see Schenn eating up half of that right out of the gate. Cousins/Weal back to the AHL? Gudas likely in the $1-1.5M range?

Do they re-sign White ($800+K?)? Manning ($635+K?)? Medvedev ($3+M)?

Do Proviewit or Konecny make the squad out of the gate? ($925K each)

Things can get a little tight where that $3M from Umburglar could come in handy.

And it means that there's not likely a fit on the LW in the UFA market.

A guy can dream, right? :cool[1]:

* That also includes $2.25M for VLC if he decides not to retire. That can certainly play into this.

I can see them maybe just letting Medvedev walk. And i really really think Provorov will occupy one of those spots on the blueline. I think you're right on with Schenn taking up about half of it. It is why Provorov skill set combined with his cap friendly ELC price tag will make it easy on Hextall.

It would help a lot if over the course of the offseason they could move one of Streit or Schultz, after July 1st Streit will be more appealing to teams once the bonus has been paid out.

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

It would help a lot if over the course of the offseason they could move one of Streit or Schultz, after July 1st Streit will be more appealing to teams once the bonus has been paid out.

I think Streit at $2M "actual salary" would be attractive to some teams - whether he'll go to a cap floor situation is another question entirely.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Medvedev walk. I see Schultz as more of "Hextall's guy" though...

I wouldn't make any move just to keep Umburglar, though. I'd rather see a Cousins/Leier/Konecny type in that role. Hexy's MMV though...

Just now, radoran said:

I think Streit at $2M "actual salary" would be attractive to some teams - whether he'll go to a cap floor situation is another question entirely.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Medvedev walk. I see Schultz as more of "Hextall's guy" though...

I wouldn't make any move just to keep Umburglar, though. I'd rather see a Cousins/Leier/Konecny type in that role. Hexy's MMV though...

Yes Schultz is certainly a Hexy type guy....and if his salary was just a mill cheaper he would be more tolerable.

But one more year of him if he is slotted finally where he needs to be in the bottom pair would go a long way with me.

But someone from the current roster needs to be removed....RJ seems like the logical choice...since he has been a latest scratch for it seems all of february...bite the bullet and move on there would be callup room then if need be. White i think will be brought back on a 1 year deal. Hak loves his PEB-VDV-White line....it is one of the few he hasn't tinkered with.  

And sadly MDV will be let to walk since he was just a find from the KHL nothing really invested into him to need to recoup something in return except time...

Just now, radoran said:

No, but he could certainly say "I've found new life in Los Angeles"

I really don't think he gives a rat's ass what his reputation is in Philadelphia. And I don't think the rest of the league will shed any tears for the Flyers in this situation...

I'm not talking about Philadelphia. He promised Lombardi that he would retire, else Lombardi wouldn't take him. The Kings have less cap space than the Flyers, with needs at LW, defense, and goalie after this season. How do you think Lombardi will react? I also don't get the sense that VLC is the kind of guy to go back on something like that.

This is not to say that I really care if Lecavalier does decide to keep playing. Frankly, the Flyers were able to get rid of half his contract without buying him out - that's good enough for me. If he retires and the whole thing goes away, that's icing. I just think it's unlikely that he doesn't hang them up.

35 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

I'm not talking about Philadelphia. He promised Lombardi that he would retire, else Lombardi wouldn't take him. The Kings have less cap space than the Flyers, with needs at LW, defense, and goalie after this season. How do you think Lombardi will react? I also don't get the sense that VLC is the kind of guy to go back on something like that.

I think he'll just plant some Oxys in his car on his way home.............................like he did to Richie!!!:ph34r:

Obviously the Kings would have to want to keep him as well.

$2.25M isn't exactly terrible for a 30-point player (what he projects to with his playing time in LA). Flyers will be paying more to Raffl and he's projecting out to 24 points this season..

I'm just saying that it's not a foregone conclusion. And the Kings won't likely be thinking about the Flyers' cap when they make that decision.

4 hours ago, AJgoal said:

Obviously there's nothing binding,

It's possible that retiring was put in writing as part of the deal. Which would be binding, one presumes. 

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

It's possible that retiring was put in writing as part of the deal. Which would be binding, one presumes. 

Well, you can't rewrite a contract, and the trade agreement would be between two entities (LA and Philly) who would not be in a position to make that guarantee. I suppose it could be in his NMC waiver paperwork, but it's extremely doubtful, since he's the only party that signs that, I believe (ie, not a contract per se).

2 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Well, you can't rewrite a contract, and the trade agreement would be between two entities (LA and Philly) who would not be in a position to make that guarantee. I suppose it could be in his NMC waiver paperwork, but it's extremely doubtful, since he's the only party that signs that, I believe (ie, not a contract per se).

Yeah, you may be right. We shall see.

Archived