Senators to Interview Boudreau

ScottM

In all seriousness, I think he's the kind of coach we need right now. I've said in other threads that I'm not sold on him as a Cup winner, but we're so far away from that right now that I don't think it matters. We need someone who can pick up th pieces, put them together, and do all of that while letting the players be themselves. I think Boudreau is that guy.

Honestly, I look at this in a very similar way to how I looked at the Phaneuf trade. It's a guy that I've been critical of but who still fills a hole that we have. If we were in the position we were in 10 years ago, I wouldn't want Boudreau, but right now, he fits the need. We'll cross that next bridge when we get there.

@ScottM

Also all joking aside, then my major question to you is the following.  Why hire him in the first place if you are not sold he can take you to the promise land?  Why go through the aggravation of having him turn the Sens around to become the perennial playoff time, yet fail to make it our of either the 1st or 2nd round.  After all isn't that what the Ducks did?  Sure the Ducks played well during the regular season only to lose to the WC team from Nashville.   Why not find yourself a coach who will not only get the Sens out of mediocrity, have them make the playoffs and hopefully build a cup contender in the process.  Do you really want to find another coach in 3-4 years?  Just my humble observation.

@ScottM

Duuuude....Dion Phaneuf AND Bruce Boudreau.....think about that!! And you seem OK WITH THAT! :5726b5f90a35d_idontthinkso:

Get ahold of yourself, man!

Seriously though....maybe the Sens need to do what seems to be in vogue with up n coming NHL teams now:

They are bypassing the same ol, same ol on coaching names, and looking within and promoting brand spankin new coaches from within their system who know the young talent like no outsider ever could.

TB from within, hired Jon Cooper (0 NHL exp) ....Flyers hire Hakstol, not from within, but from the collegiate ranks, again, 0 NHL coaching experience, but he understands the 'young' player....Avs went with Patrick Roy, who had been coaching Jrs, and up until Colorado made him their coach, 0 NHL head coaching experience, John Hynes with the Devils (another guy used to working with young up coming talent), and Mike Yeo (yea, he was canned last year, but had a pretty good run replacing Todd Richards previously)....just off the top of my head.

Point being, the Sens have some aging bodies that I am sure they are looking to phase out and some good young pieces who still have yet to hit their stride, and some young players who are good NOW.

So, instead of a re-tread like Boudreau, perhaps some unknown (whether in their own system, or in the college ranks somewhere), who knows young players, has fresh ideas, and can GROW with the team?

If the Sens were near Cup contention, then maybe a grizzled coach would be the way to go, but like you said...the Sens are far from that AND though he is grizzled, Boudreau has yet to take a team all the way.

My 39 cents on that anyways.

1 minute ago, pilldoc said:

@ScottM

Also all joking aside, then my major question to you is the following.  Why hire him in the first place if you are not sold he can take you to the promise land?  Why go through the aggravation of having him turn the Sens around to become the perennial playoff time, yet fail to make it our of either the 1st or 2nd round.  After all isn't that what the Ducks did?  Sure the Ducks played well during the regular season only to lose to the WC team from Nashville.   Why not find yourself a coach who will not only get the Sens out of mediocrity, have them make the playoffs and hopefully build a cup contender in the process.  Do you really want to find another coach in 3-4 years?  Just my humble observation.

Because quite frankly, I'm not sure the franchise will stick with "the guy" if he's a little slower to build than a guy that has a reputation as a builder. Patience isn't a virtue at all when it comes to coaches in the NHL, and the Sens could be the poster child of that. I believe that Boudreau would get the rebuild done quickly enough that we'd see it happen withougt the coaching carousel continuing. I don't think it happens if we can't settle on a guy for more than one or two seasons.

And honestly, while I've chimed in on the playoff criticism and the criticism of not getting it done in game seven, I think there's a part of me that wants to see if it would be any different with a new set of characters. Corey Perry has been known to do a disappearing act in the playoffs. When Boudreau was in Washington, Ovi was bad to do a disappearing act in  game seven. Having that happen with two guys doesn't really look good for Boudreau, but maybe it'll prove unfair to blame it on him. I'd love to see how he does with Karlsson in that position. Maybe it'll be different.

And honestly, thinking back to when the Sens were a perennial playoff team that never could quite get the Cup, that was far better than where we are now. Knowing that we have some of the pieces and just haven't put them together while putting a hot mess on the ice at some positions is extremely frustrating. That Finals run seems so much longer than nine years ago...

2 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

@ScottM

Duuuude....Dion Phaneuf AND Bruce Boudreau.....think about that!! And you seem OK WITH THAT! :5726b5f90a35d_idontthinkso:

Get ahold of yourself, man!

Seriously though....maybe the Sens need to do what seems to be in vogue with up n coming NHL teams now:

They are bypassing the same ol, same ol on coaching names, and looking within and promoting brand spankin new coaches from within their system who know the young talent like no outsider ever could.

TB from within, hired Jon Cooper (0 ....Flyers hire Hakstol, not from within, but from the collegiate ranks, again, 0 NHL coaching experience, but he understands the 'young' player....Avs went with Patrick Roy, who had been coaching Jrs, and up until Colorado made him their coach, 0 NHL head coaching experience, John Hynes with the Devils (another guy used to working with young up coming talent), and Mike Yeo (yea, he was canned last year, but had a pretty good run replacing Todd Richards previously)....just off the top of my head.

Point being, the Sens have some aging bodies that I am sure they are looking to phase out and some good young pieces who still have yet to hit their stride, and some young players who are good NOW.

So, instead of a re-tread like Boudreau, perhaps some unknown (whether in their own system, or in the college ranks somewhere), who knows young players, has fresh ideas, and can GROW with the team?

If the Sens were near Cup contention, then maybe a grizzled coach would be the way to go, but like you said...the Sens are far from that AND though he is grizzled, Boudreau has yet to take a team all the way.

My 39 cents on that anyways.

I'd really like that idea if I felt that the departing front office had left us with anything. I think that the last few years with Murray were so disastrous that they pretty well stripped the organization. I don't know where we have to turn. I think there's a real chance that Alfredsson could play a key role at some point, and I've said on multiple occasions that I'd love to see that happen, but Alfie doesn't seem quite ready to make the plunge.

I get what you guys are saying. Really, I do. But after what I saw this past season, I feel like the Sens are so far from relevancy that I want to see someone come in that I have faith can move us forward. I have no doubt that Boudreau can do that. His regular season record leaves no doubt about that. I mean, we're talking about a guy with a .659 career points percentage as a coach. After the tough campaign we just came out of, I'd almost go into a Jim Mora style rant about playoffs. I want someone who will change my mind about that.

As for Phaneuf, my criticism of him was that when he was THE guy on defense in Toronto, he was incapable of filling that role. As a number two or three guy, I think he could be very good for us. When some of the pressure is off and he gets to work with an offensive wizard like Karlsson, I think we might see a difference. I would NOT want him as our number one guy, but in the right role, he's certainly serviceable. When we'd been putting Karlsson, Methot, one promising prospect and just a trash can after that, he's a major upgrade.

I actually don't think he's a team builder. 

I think both in Washington and Anaheim he was handed world class talent and failed.  He didn't build that. He moved into a move-in condition, fully furnished mansion. And couldn't seal the deal. 

Much as I like pieces in Ottawa (you know I do), that isn't present in Ottawa.   It's possible maybe that's good. Maybe there's no Ovechkin to bend to what he wants to do.   So maybe. 

I just do not see any track record of team builder.  I see a track record of teams doing only what should have been a given and not a thing more and wasted opportunities to do something special. 

It looks to me like the Sens WILL hire him. It's sad to me because they're a team I cheer for. I really dislike him as a coach. 

@ScottM 

Bashing Boudreau aside, the problems there are above the coach. The front office needs to do a better job or it won't matter what he does. 

They're not far from competitive, but there are some smart moves required. 

9 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I actually don't think he's a team builder. 

I think both in Washington and Anaheim he was handed world class talent and failed.  He didn't build that. He moved into a move-in condition, fully furnished mansion. And couldn't seal the deal. 

Much as I like pieces in Ottawa (you know I do), that isn't present in Ottawa.   It's possible maybe that's good. Maybe there's no Ovechkin to bend to what he wants to do.   So maybe. 

I just do not see any track record of team builder.  I see a track record of teams doing only what should have been a given and not a thing more and wasted opportunities to do something special. 

It looks to me like the Sens WILL hire him. It's sad to me because they're a team I cheer for. I really dislike him as a coach. 

You guys might be right. I do think we'll have the chance to find out, because  I, like you, think he's likely to be the hire.

I'll readily admit now that there's one factor that might be blinding me to some potential downside. We all know that Karlsson was just about the only thing that we truly had working for us this past season. Even the other guys who had pretty good years were way too streaky. Karlsson is a cornerstone kind of guy, and he's proven it time and time again. The thing I've been afraid of is that we'd hire a coach that would try to make him be something other than what he is. I don't care how good a player is, if you try to force him to be something he's not, disaster is the likely result. I know Boudreau wouldn't do that, and that in itself make him look like an attractive option.

And yes, there are definitely issues above the coach. I won't rehash it all here, but I've laid out the kinds of moves that I'd like to see the Sens make this offseason. There's a lot of work to do, but I'm completely convinced that it can be done even on a budget. We've done it before, and we can do it again. I just hope Dorion will do what needs to be done.

This is why Bourdeau will pick Ottawa

“My daughter lives here, my grand-daughter who I don’t get to see too often and she’s only (18 months) and actually all my family is back East. That’s always a really compelling thing,” Boudreau told Postmedia. “Ottawa itself is compelling itself because they’ve got the opportunity to be a pretty good team and they’ve got a lot of pretty good pieces in place.”

http://www.ottawasun.com/2016/05/05/senators-bring-bruce-boudreau-to-ottawa-for-interview?token=0394214d4bcf310762e571a2b8cc78dc

@hf101 That certainly makes things look good for us. I know we're a budget team, but I'm hoping we don't lowball this so badly as to blow it. The Boudreau sweepstakes looks like ours to lose. Here's hoping we don't. I'm still optimistic.

Archived