Kings best/worst trades ever

yave1964

Continuing now with the Los Angeles Kings.....

BEST TRADES EVER:

GRETZKY th?id=OIP.M07e3e1a7e6dd47501b5e89b863e3a AND MCSORLEY FROM THE OILERS FOR JIMMY CARSON, MARTIN GELINAS A BUNCH OF PICKS AND A CRAP TON OF MONEY

What was money afterall to Bruce McNall? It was almost as if he were printing it himself (later of course it turned out that wasnt far from the truth) so when the Oilers were in the unenviable position of knowing the great one was one season away from simply walking away and McNall came calling with bags of money to keep the rest of the team intact, they took it. There is more than that to the story of course but that is the gist.

Wayne never won a cup for the Kings, indeed he never won a cup after leaving Edmonton but he put the Kings on the map in Americas second biggest city where winter is a rumor. People began going to Kings games to be seen, it became a thing in LA, they went to a cup final and became relevant and it may not be a stretch to say the trade saved Hockey in LA.

MARCEL th?id=OIP.Mf0d21d924c7eb7e273b5d158999b3 DIONNE FROM THE WINGS FOR DAN MALONEY AND TERRY HARPER

Dionne broke the hearts of the Wings faithful by declaring that Detroit was a sucky place to play hockey and signing as an offer sheet with the Kings which the Wings were appalled by. A deal was worked out, Dionne went west along with the man with the coolest name in Hockey history, Bart Crashley, in exchange for a couple of fading vets who were okay. The deal set the Wings back by a decade, the Kings got an iconic scorer and the franchise first real superstar.

JEFF CARTER FOR JACK JOHNSON FROM THE JACKETS

I live a little less than an hour north of Columbus and lets face it, winters in Ohio are pretty damn boring and Carter after coming over in one of the Jackets worst ever trades pouted his way out of town, the Kings came calling with an extra defenseman in Johnson whom many were touting as the equivalent of Seabrook in Chicago.

Carter th?id=OIP.M6ecba0418df85e90d6df714069549 with fun in the sun and bars on every corner and reunited with his old running mate Richards found his game and has become one of the keys to the Kings for the past 5 seasons including two cups.

JUSTIN WILLIAMS FROM THE CANES FOR PATRICK O'SULLIVAN

Lets face it, Williams is not a star in any book but he is the heart and soul type that every winning team needs. He came aboard giving solid regular seasons for 8 years and sometimes brilliant postseasons as the Kings won two cups in his tenure. O'sullivan struggled and was out of the game shortly thereafter.

ZIGGY th?id=OIP.Mafe96e16155ff9d14a80748ea4b72 PALFFY AND BRIAN SMOLINSKI FROM THE PANTHERS FOR OLLI JOKINEN AND A BUNCH OF JUNK

It should be noted that Jokinen became a solid player in Florida although they never really did much with him there, but Palffy became the shooter the Kings needed while Smolinski became a solid middle six center who could play up and down the lines. Palffy brought the fans someone to root for scoring 30 goals a year during his tenure in LA.

WORST TRADES EVER:

RICHARDS FROM THE FLYERS FOR BRAYDEN SCHENN AND WAYNE th?id=OIP.Mecb88fdd53451b84f742ce4fa5b9b SIMMONDS

I know the Kings went on to win a couple of cups with Richards on the team but they were simply killed in this deal. Simmonds and Schenn are mainstays in the top six in Philadelphia and Richards never found his game in LA and they went through the whole do we or dont we buy him out thing after the strike, then the smuggling painkillers across the boarder. This one will hurt for years financially and every time they see Schenn/Simmonds in orange across the country. They could really use those two right now.

ROB th?id=OIP.M51a9f53186fabb0f863e2dae7190e BLAKE AND MICHAEL REINPRECHT TO THE AVALANCHE FOR AARON MILLER AND ADAM DEADMARSH

Blake was the final piece of the puzzle for the Avalanche on their way to their final cup and went on to play brilliant hockey for 5 years in Colorado on his way to a hall of fame career. Deadmarsh had one good year in Colorado before his career ended prematurely do to concussions.

MIKE CAMMALLERI TO THE FLAMES FOR A COUPLE OF PICKS

What they hell were they thinking? I mean, lets face it, Cammelleri has holes in his game but the sucker can score still if not with the best of them certainly with the second best. They received a first and a second rounder who became Brian Dumoulin and Jake Gardiner who were dealt away without ever playing a minute for the Kings. Meanwhile Cammalleri has scored almost 200 goals in the 8 years since being given away.

AN ASIDE: Considering the limited return for three players who are still kicking it, I know the Kings won a couple of cups but how many more would they have won with a second line of Cammalleri, Schenn and Simmonds?

JIMMY th?id=OIP.Ma71a02352ceda708ca3270883875c CARSON FOR PAUL COFFEY WITH THE WINGS

Poor Jimmy Carson, he appears on this list twice. Really nice guy, I wrote for his autograph five years ago or so, he wrote back, we converse every now and then still. Funny stories about the Wings.

Hometown boy Carson was booed out of Detroit after being booed out of Edmonton for not being Wayne and Detroit traded him to the Kings for HOFer Paul Coffey who helped propel the Wings to one of the best teams in Hockey. Then Coffey was parlayed into Brendan Shanahan who was the final piece of the puzzle on three cup winning Wing teams. Carson played parts of two seasons in LA before moving on again.

Carson will appear also on the list of the Wings worst trades ever, having being sent from Edmonton for Adam Graves, Joe Murphy and Petr Klima. No wonder why looking back on his career he says it was not as fun as it could have been.

I left one off that everyone always rags the Kings for Butch Goring went to the Isles and was the final piece for them winning four cups for Billy Harris and Dave Lewis. I cannot rip the Kings for this one, Lewis became a long term captain and Harris was a solid player. Both teams made out on this one, it just turned out the Isles won the cups.

I know I'm a blasphemer, and certainly in the minority for saying this, but what did trading for Gretzky do for L.A. besides get them to ONE Cup final where they lost to the Habs in 5 games? Sure, he put a*ses in seats but they gave up a hell of A LOT to get him. Dare I say, one could argue that that set their franchise back a little. The Justin Williams and Mike Richards trades I'm in full agreement with, though. I have to run before I'm shot by a Canadian mountie.

18 hours ago, FD19372 said:

I know I'm a blasphemer, and certainly in the minority for saying this, but what did trading for Gretzky do for L.A. besides get them to ONE Cup final where they lost to the Habs in 5 games? Sure, he put a*ses in seats but they gave up a hell of A LOT to get him. Dare I say, one could argue that that set their franchise back a little. The Justin Williams and Mike Richards trades I'm in full agreement with, though. I have to run before I'm shot by a Canadian mountie.

Jimmy Carson, Martin Gelinas $15 mil and 3 1sts for Gretzky McSorley and Krushilniski looks like a pretty good deal to me from a Kings perspective. The picks turned into not much. The money wasn't McNalls to begin with.

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Jimmy Carson, Martin Gelinas $15 mil and 3 1sts for Gretzky McSorley and Krushilniski looks like a pretty good deal to me from a Kings perspective. The picks turned into not much. The money wasn't McNalls to begin with.

Weren't Carson and Gelinas All-Stars for the next 3 seasons? That was a lot to give up for one GREAT player and two average ones.

Carsons best season ever was in LA...107 points. he followed that up with 100 his first year in Edmonton, then 39/46/69/73/28/19. He played in one allstar game.

Gelinas points totals were 3/25/40/29/23/28/56/68/34/28 and so on...I don't think he was ever an allstar.

Gretzky, on the other hand was an 8 time 1st team allstar and 7 time 2nd team allstar.

On 6/8/2016 at 11:52 AM, FD19372 said:

I know I'm a blasphemer, and certainly in the minority for saying this, but what did trading for Gretzky do for L.A. besides get them to ONE Cup final where they lost to the Habs in 5 games?

No, there wasn't the massive amount of success on the ice that any hoped for, but there hasn't been any doubt about the viability of hockey in southern California since then. In fact, it does well enough that it can now support two teams. L.A. is the second-largest market in the U.S., and it wasn't a slam dunk hockey market until Gretzky showed up. I wouldn't necessary consider it the biggest win in terms of the product on the ice (though it wasn't bad) and it did cost hem in the short team, but what it did for the long term prospects of the team and the market shouldn't be overlooked.

• 2 years later...

Archived