Straka re-signed

sekkes85

Kid was off to a good start to the AHL season last year leading the league in goals till he was injured and out for a good portion of the season. He needs to have a good camp and he to could get a shot at the Flyers forward spots. It's on him.

16 minutes ago, hf101 said:

I doubt Straka will get any time with the Flyers this season even if he has a solid season with the Phantoms.

Why?

Hextall said he wants to add some scorers so if he puts the puck in the net during the preseason then he could earn a chance to play on the Flyers like everyone else.

He is subject to waivers. And yeah it would be a long shot but it could happen with a good camp and preseason. Plus he would be cheap. If he were to have a good showing he could help make someone else expendable. We'll see.

7 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Why?

Hextall said he wants to add some scorers so if he puts the puck in the net during the preseason then he could earn a chance to play on the Flyers like everyone else.

He is subject to waivers. And yeah it would be a long shot but it could happen with a good camp and preseason. Plus he would be cheap. If he were to have a good showing he could help make someone else expendable. We'll see.

Frankly, no room on the top 2 lines or even the bottom 2 lines..  I don't see Straka earning a roster spot, he hasn't scored even 30 pts in a season with the Phantoms.  We have too many average bottom 6 guys who have better defensive skills battling for roster spots...for Straka to even get a call up.

3 hours ago, hf101 said:

I don't see Straka earning a roster spot, he hasn't scored even 30 pts in a season with the Phantoms.

Huh?

He was leading the AHL in goals before he got hurt and struggled with his injury the rest of the season and still put up 37 points. He got just as much as many of the others.

And he is a left hand shot so yeah he will get a look. He needs to bring it. He can score goals. He has decent size and speed. If not now then when?

It's all on him.

The ball puck is in his hands....:DancingGrape:

Straka has a very limited chance to make the roster.   He has no defensive skill whatsoever and will only get a shot on the bottom 6.  

Frankly, he is not making the roster and most likely will get passed over as a callup.  

1 hour ago, murraycraven said:

Straka has a very limited chance to make the roster.   He has no defensive skill whatsoever and will only get a shot on the bottom 6.  

Frankly, he is not making the roster and most likely will get passed over as a callup.  

Yeah and most of that can be said for the whole bottom 6. It's why they are the bottom. We see soon it will all play out.

6 hours ago, murraycraven said:

I wonder.  If the guy is scoring like he did before he got hurt and the flyers are hurting for goals as badly again, it'll be hard not to try him.

would help even if they just want to trade him. 

5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah and most of that can be said for the whole bottom 6. It's why they are the bottom. We see soon it will all play out.

Right?  I mean can't an entire team of responsible Matt read types that can't scored compensate for one gifted scorer who can't play D? 

5 hours ago, King Knut said:

Right?  I mean can't an entire team of responsible Matt read types that can't scored compensate for one gifted scorer who can't play D? 

You'd think. That is why i'm not so worried about his all around D. Sure Hak likes those types. But let's be honest if this kid was to come in and light the lamp and could fill in nicely at LW on one of the two two lines(or in fact on any of them) i think they could live with him working on the rest of his game as the season goes along.

I mean that is sort of exactly what Ghost did. He started scoring and helping the team win and was rough in his own end to start but worked on it as the season progressed and they kept him around.

When you win it gives you that luxury.

Nkw let me say right now in no way am i saying this kid is the savior or is even going to do that.

What i am saying is they need scoring so bad that yes they will look at everyone at their disposal come this camp/preseason and he has every bit a chance as this Lyubimov guy does or even a Matt Read.

Score and they will find room for you warts and all.

Archived