Suter to the habs?

MrDanglez67

Ik it's unlikely but what would it take to reunite Suter and weber in montreal keeping in mind the habs want to win now and trading price pacioretty Chucky and gally won't happen but any other roster player prospect or pick is available.

my starting offer:

David Desharnais (Cap Dump)

Michael Mccaron

2017 2nd

2019 1st

Martin Reway

For Ryan Suter

2018 4th

Thoughts?

2 hours ago, hf101 said:

ah -- fantasy hockey right? :ok:

Suter has a No Movement Clause he isn't going anywhere.

Damn that's true put hypothetically if he didn't have it or if he were to waive it what would it take to get him?

1 hour ago, MadDevil said:

Two 30+ year old defensemen signed for the next 9 years at over $7.5 million per year?

Also two top 10-15 defenseman in the league who had previous success together playing on a team that wants to win in the next year or two.

4 minutes ago, MrDanglez67 said:

Also two top 10-15 defenseman in the league who had previous success together playing on a team that wants to win in the next year or two.

Don't you think Sutter would have stayed in Nashville if he planned on playing with Weber longterm?

I think Sutter believes he has a greater chance of winning the Stanley Cup with the Wild.

5 hours ago, MrDanglez67 said:

Ik it's unlikely but what would it take to reunite Suter and weber in montreal keeping in mind the habs want to win now and trading price pacioretty Chucky and gally won't happen but any other roster player prospect or pick is available.

my starting offer:

David Desharnais (Cap Dump)

Michael Mccaron

2017 2nd

2019 1st

Martin Reway

For Ryan Suter

2018 4th

Thoughts?

You would need to pay someone to take Napolean. He is only in the NHL because he is french Canadian and the coaches pet. On any other team, he doesn't crack the lineup.

As for your proposed trade, even on a quality for quality scale, that might be one of the worst applications of math I've seen since the Mars Climate Orbiter.

Now, if you are on a "pure value" trade type scenario and you are wanting a true #1 defenseman, you are not getting him without moving some of your untouchables. Quantity for Quality is a pipedream only fulfilled by truly stupid GM's like Milbury and Mike O'Connell.

Galchenyuk + your 1st round pick + probably your best prospect at a minimum. Elite #1 defensemen are actually the rarest commodity in the NHL next to an elite goalie. Suter is of equal value to Subban and Weber. Your offer is about as realistic as me coming to you before Subban was traded and saying...

Hey how about Subban and your 2018 4th to the Sharks for......

Wingels(Cap dump)

Micro Mueller

2017 2nd

2019 1st

Noah Rod

1 hour ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

You would need to pay someone to take Napolean. He is only in the NHL because he is french Canadian and the coaches pet. On any other team, he doesn't crack the lineup.

As for your proposed trade, even on a quality for quality scale, that might be one of the worst applications of math I've seen since the Mars Climate Orbiter.

Now, if you are on a "pure value" trade type scenario and you are wanting a true #1 defenseman, you are not getting him without moving some of your untouchables. Quantity for Quality is a pipedream only fulfilled by truly stupid GM's like Milbury and Mike O'Connell.

Galchenyuk + your 1st round pick + probably your best prospect at a minimum. Elite #1 defensemen are actually the rarest commodity in the NHL next to an elite goalie. Suter is of equal value to Subban and Weber. Your offer is about as realistic as me coming to you before Subban was traded and saying...

Hey how about Subban and your 2018 4th to the Sharks for......

Wingels(Cap dump)

Micro Mueller

2017 2nd

2019 1st

Noah Rod

Lol this makes me feel stupid. But Suter although he logs mor ice time is not as good as Subban or weber. Not trying to take anything away from him but pk and weber are the best of the best. Actually think I'm going to start a defenseman thread rn brb

3 hours ago, MrDanglez67 said:

Are they really that close though?

1 hour ago, MadDevil said:

Are they really that close though?

On a personal level probably not but in terms of hockey I'm sure they would love to play together in Montreal as they did in Nashville.

4 hours ago, MadDevil said:

Two 30+ year old defensemen signed for the next 9 years at over $7.5 million per year?

I do agree with you on this though it would never work cap wise for the habs and although it would be a dynamic pairing for the next 4-5 years it would bite the habs in the ass big time as they're contracts would be near impossible to move.

I actually meant is Montreal that close to winning to where it's worth taking on another massive contract just to win in the next couple years. Plus, as mentioned above you're going to have to move somebody pretty significant to A.) clear cap space and B.) make it worthwhile for Minnesota to trade him. You can't really say your high value players are off the table and then expect to get a really good player back for a package of lesser pieces. Unless Minnesota decides they want to get rid of his contract, and I don't think they're at that point yet.

This just makes me scratch my head even more over the Subban/Weber trade.

10 hours ago, MadDevil said:

I actually meant is Montreal that close to winning to where it's worth taking on another massive contract just to win in the next couple years. Plus, as mentioned above you're going to have to move somebody pretty significant to A.) clear cap space and B.) make it worthwhile for Minnesota to trade him. You can't really say your high value players are off the table and then expect to get a really good player back for a package of lesser pieces. Unless Minnesota decides they want to get rid of his contract, and I don't think they're at that point yet.

This just makes me scratch my head even more over the Subban/Weber trade.

How about this then 

Mccaron

2018 1st 

2017 2nd

2017 5th

Martin reway

Nathan Beaulieu

David Desharnais

For suter

3 picks two good prospects  a great puck moving 2nd pair Dman and a 3rd line center.

Minnesota would be dumb not to accept as I don't feel they can win with the team they have in the central division.

on the other hand Montreal is closer than people may think and I feel that Suter easily would put them over the top.

17 hours ago, MrDanglez67 said:

They had decent regular season success maybe but they couldn't get out the 2nd round together...so depends on the success metric i guess....

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

They had decent regular season success maybe but they couldn't get out the 2nd round together...so depends on the success metric i guess....

Meh..problem in Nashville when Suter and Weber were together wasn't necessarily their pairing (or the defense in general).

Under Barry Trotz at the time, it seemed Nashville was either reluctant or unable to sign genuine big time scoring threats up front.

Not to mention Trotz seemed to care more about coverage than attacking anyways at that point in time as well.

A fantastic tough defensive team anchored by Suter-Weber-Rinne, but hampered in the post season by mediocre to only slightly above average forward units and a mediocre attack strategy by the head coach himself.

Let's say hypothetically that Suter and Weber were to reunite in Montreal, can it be said that the Habs are any better than the Preds were at the time the two played together in Nashville?

I mean, on PAPER, Montreal SHOULD be a better scoring team...but as we have seen the last couple seasons, outside of the occasional scoring streak, that has not been the case....and I don't know if Montreal's current defensive structure could even match the Preds' back then.

Just something to mull over in a situation like this.

I know @MrDanglez67 feels a guy like Suter paired with Weber would put the Habs "over the top" (and they would certainly be a formidable defensive duo once again), but I think Montreal still has too many other holes in other areas where simply adding one more top tier defenseman still would NOT make them Cup ready.

22 hours ago, MrDanglez67 said:

Lol this makes me feel stupid. But Suter although he logs mor ice time is not as good as Subban or weber. Not trying to take anything away from him but pk and weber are the best of the best. Actually think I'm going to start a defenseman thread rn brb

ill respond more in the Dmen ranking thread, but I feel you sell Suter short. I was always a big fan of his.

I don't think Subban is bad defensively, but he is not Suter good by any stretch. Few in the league are. And he is that good defensively while putting up 45-50 points. Subban puts up 53-60 points sure and is more of an initiator of offense, but I consider them almost a wash in value.

People predicted Suter would fall horribly offensively without Weber, and I vehemently argued that he would sustain his offense.

7 hours ago, MrDanglez67 said:

How about this then 

Mccaron

2018 1st 

2017 2nd

2017 5th

Martin reway

Nathan Beaulieu

David Desharnais

For suter

3 picks two good prospects  a great puck moving 2nd pair Dman and a 3rd line center.

Minnesota would be dumb not to accept as I don't feel they can win with the team they have in the central division.

on the other hand Montreal is closer than people may think and I feel that Suter easily would put them over the top.

Galchenyuk bub. Nothing else is getting looks from the Wild GM. Realistically, Suter is never going anywhere. He made it pretty clear he wanted to go to his hometown, and left Suter and Nashville to sign a long fat contract with a NMC in his hometown.

The Wild are not a rebuilding team. They have one of the best defensive depths in the league behind Suter, a fairly solid goalie and some good wingers. The problem is, they have no #1 C. They have 3 Number 2 C's. Granlund has not been stepping up, Staal is old and so is koivu. Coyle is a winger converted to C because they needed him to, but now with Staal, he is back on wing and they still have three #2 C's. They don't need a 3rd with Desharnais(Who is AHL caliber to boot)

None of the prospects you offer are truly blue chip. McCaron is projected to be a middle 6 power forward. Reway is nobody. An undersized skill forward who is liking the large ice surfaces of Europe, but probably can't convert to North American ice as easily. Beaulieu may one day get to Spurgeon level, but so far is just another spot they can't afford to use a protection slot for(Even if Suter was not there, Spurgeon, Brodin, Dumba and Scandella take precedence)

Its Galchenyuk or no deal.

Archived