Cullen Re-signs, "We're getting the band back together"

nossagog

On 8/17/2016 at 7:16 PM, nossagog said:

Pens  signed Matt Cullen for another year:

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=891196&cmpid=pit-fb-penguins

$1M cap hit.   Good deal for a player whom they got the most out of, hopefully he can play at the same level next year. 

Nice move bringing him back. Also likely means the Pens are out of the running for Vesey as that $1,000,000 is about all we had left under the cap.  

Cullen helps the Pens to win this year, Vesey, would be a crap shoot, this year but maybe down the road he pays dividends.

Matt played very well in the Sullivan system, he played his minutes very hard and i thought he was effective.  Guys like Cullen help to win championships,   i think this is a good signing. 

rats.

On 8/19/2016 at 6:22 PM, mojo1917 said:

Cullen helps the Pens to win this year, Vesey, would be a crap shoot, this year but maybe down the road he pays dividends.

Matt played very well in the Sullivan system, he played his minutes very hard and i thought he was effective.  Guys like Cullen help to win championships,   i think this is a good signing. 

rats.

Not only that, but I think he can be the guy who can be a great teacher for the young guys. He's the kind of guy who's great with the little details of the game, and he can lead by example.  Great team guy too.  Just the type of team and role guy that helps teams to cups.

http://pt.se/sport/piteas-tranare-hyllar-nhl-veteranen-10180184.aspx

PITEÅ Matt Cullen, almost 40 years, extends NHL career. I think Piteå Hockey's coach Rolf Nilsson is great fun. "By far the best player I have coached," he says.

You may have heard about Jaromir Jagr, Czech who at the age of 44 is still a world player.

Rolf Nilsson, Piteå Hockey, has coached another of perpetual ice hockey equipment. Twelve years ago, when he was the coach in Cortina, he got to know the forward Matt Cullen while there was a lockout in the NHL.

- When Matt came to us he had just played in Florida under Mike Keenan. He was a bit tired and thought he was very uppstyrd there. With us, he got a freer role and it was a new start for him, that he said himself, too.

Large national mourning

"Roffe" and Cullen was close to win the Italian league gold together in 2005. Cortina had equalized to 3-3 in games in the final series against Milan and confidence was on top for the seventh and deciding game.

- I think we could have won if not the Pope died. No, but seriously, when we would go from the hotel, we heard that the Pope was dead. There was great mourning for three days, remember Rolf.

It also meant that the decisive final match was held over three days.

- It felt like we lost our momentum then.

Milan, among others, Niklas Sundstrom of the team, had time to catch his breath and won the final match 4-1.

Many might grins when they think of hockey in Italy, whose national team usually go yo-yo between the first and second divisions of the World Cup.

- The national team is well not great but their league Serie A keeps better class, says Rolf Nilsson. I had several players with me from SHL during my second and third season there, and some of them actually had a bit of trouble.

For Matt Cullen was no problem. He won the scoring leaders in both the regular season and in the playoffs during his season in Italy.

Not surprised

In the NHL, he has never received any headlines. But in the shadows Cullen has climbed to become the American who made the fifth most regular season games of all time - 1294 pieces.

And more to come. The veteran, who NHL debut in 1997, is gearing up for its 19th season in the league. Recently extended his contract with the reigning champions Pittsburgh Penguins.

- I saw it. It's really fun. It shows that age does not matter only the will is there, pays tribute to Rolf Nilsson.

He was not surprised that Matt Cullen, who turns 40 in November, remain valid.

- Not really. There is a guy who loves to train and play matches. He comes from a big hockey family and loves everything around hockey.

Self Rolf Nilsson busy trimming Piteå HC before Hockeyettan. Tomorrow (Wednesday) the team plays the season's second training match against SK Lejon away from home.

After loss away against Asplöven with 3-7 last week, there is a lot to work on. Pre-season is always a process.

- It almost feels like the same team, but 7-8 players are gone from last year. But in a way, it's also fun to start over and work with a team from the beginning.

17 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

http://pt.se/sport/piteas-tranare-hyllar-nhl-veteranen-10180184.aspx

PITEÅ Matt Cullen, almost 40 years, extends NHL career. I think Piteå Hockey's coach Rolf Nilsson is great fun. "By far the best player I have coached," he says.

You may have heard about Jaromir Jagr, Czech who at the age of 44 is still a world player.

Rolf Nilsson, Piteå Hockey, has coached another of perpetual ice hockey equipment. Twelve years ago, when he was the coach in Cortina, he got to know the forward Matt Cullen while there was a lockout in the NHL.

- When Matt came to us he had just played in Florida under Mike Keenan. He was a bit tired and thought he was very uppstyrd there. With us, he got a freer role and it was a new start for him, that he said himself, too.

Large national mourning

"Roffe" and Cullen was close to win the Italian league gold together in 2005. Cortina had equalized to 3-3 in games in the final series against Milan and confidence was on top for the seventh and deciding game.

- I think we could have won if not the Pope died. No, but seriously, when we would go from the hotel, we heard that the Pope was dead. There was great mourning for three days, remember Rolf.

It also meant that the decisive final match was held over three days.

- It felt like we lost our momentum then.

Milan, among others, Niklas Sundstrom of the team, had time to catch his breath and won the final match 4-1.

Many might grins when they think of hockey in Italy, whose national team usually go yo-yo between the first and second divisions of the World Cup.

- The national team is well not great but their league Serie A keeps better class, says Rolf Nilsson. I had several players with me from SHL during my second and third season there, and some of them actually had a bit of trouble.

For Matt Cullen was no problem. He won the scoring leaders in both the regular season and in the playoffs during his season in Italy.

Not surprised

In the NHL, he has never received any headlines. But in the shadows Cullen has climbed to become the American who made the fifth most regular season games of all time - 1294 pieces.

And more to come. The veteran, who NHL debut in 1997, is gearing up for its 19th season in the league. Recently extended his contract with the reigning champions Pittsburgh Penguins.

- I saw it. It's really fun. It shows that age does not matter only the will is there, pays tribute to Rolf Nilsson.

He was not surprised that Matt Cullen, who turns 40 in November, remain valid.

- Not really. There is a guy who loves to train and play matches. He comes from a big hockey family and loves everything around hockey.

Self Rolf Nilsson busy trimming Piteå HC before Hockeyettan. Tomorrow (Wednesday) the team plays the season's second training match against SK Lejon away from home.

After loss away against Asplöven with 3-7 last week, there is a lot to work on. Pre-season is always a process.

- It almost feels like the same team, but 7-8 players are gone from last year. But in a way, it's also fun to start over and work with a team from the beginning.

I think that was a good read?  Wow the translation...   Lol 

Archived