Is the 2017 draft weak?

jammer2

Yeah, a lot of scouts thought Nolan Patrick was a slam dunk for the first overall, but I'll take Hischier over him with no trepidation at all. Hischier is the complete package, other than he doesn't have Patrick's size. If Hischier was 6'3 instead of 5'11, nobody would hesitate on making him the consensus number 1. If he isn't taken first overall, then someone like New York or Las Vegas are going to be incredibly happy he fell into their lap.

35 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Yeah, a lot of scouts thought Nolan Patrick was a slam dunk for the first overall, but I'll take Hischier over him with no trepidation at all. Hischier is the complete package, other than he doesn't have Patrick's size. If Hischier was 6'3 instead of 5'11, nobody would hesitate on making him the consensus number 1. If he isn't taken first overall, then someone like New York or Las Vegas are going to be incredibly happy he fell into their lap.

I think Patrick was a slam dunk for 1st...but his injuries are starting to make me, for one, question whether I would want to use a 1st overall on a big question mark. 

Hischier looked awesome in the small sample size I've seen. 

It's still early.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/21/2016 at 1:14 AM, jammer2 said:

I'm starting to see indications that the 2017 NHL Draft will be a weak one as far as elite talent goes.

@pilldoc

@hf101

I thought this was pretty impressive. Check the video out.

http://sportlogiq.com/

The future is coming.

1 minute ago, pilldoc said:

WOW!  This could become an incredible tool when evaluating players at the Junior / AHL / NHL level.

Great find!

Smart when you have to think of these players as investments you have to do all you can to get a return on the investment.

• 1 month later...

I live in Halifax, so I get to see Nico on a regular basis. He is the real deal. He plays such a well-rounded, cerebral game that he should be able to parlay into great success in the NHL. He's certainly not a hulking power forward, but I think his size is something he uses to his advantage. He knows his body well and puts himself in spots on the ice where he can support and succeed. Patrick looks like a gem too, but Nico really does have profound hockey sense and an innate ability to read the play and process it at a high level. There's a maturity to his game, a polish, that many players his age lack. I'd have no qualms taking him 1st.

The overall talent level of the draft class isn't on par with other years, as far as high-end skill, but I think it'll produce some solid nhlers.

Archived