Is Kadri The Leafs Only Tough Guy?

WordsOfWisdom

Did you know that Nazem Kadri leads the Leafs in PIM?  

Here is why that's a bad thing:

• Kadri is tied for the team lead in goals. A skilled player like Kadri needs to be on the ice, not in the penalty box as a result of fighting.
  • Is there nobody else on the Leafs that can play that enforcer/agitator type role? (Matt Martin is sort of in the ballpark but where is Komarov, Polak, etc.?)

Kadri is like a diminutive version of Lindros right now for the Leafs. He does everything. He's the only guy that I notice throwing his weight around on the ice and he backs it up by being at or near the top of the team in scoring. 

1 hour ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Did you know that Nazem Kadri leads the Leafs in PIM?  

Here is why that's a bad thing:

• Kadri is tied for the team lead in goals. A skilled player like Kadri needs to be on the ice, not in the penalty box as a result of fighting.
  • Is there nobody else on the Leafs that can play that enforcer/agitator type role? (Matt Martin is sort of in the ballpark but where is Komarov, Polak, etc.?)

Kadri is like a diminutive version of Lindros right now for the Leafs. He does everything. He's the only guy that I notice throwing his weight around on the ice and he backs it up by being at or near the top of the team in scoring. 

What fishbulb said, the Leafs gave 2 mill a year to a pure goon who can really only fight and hit....so that pretty well answers your question. Windsor native to boot, which does not mean much, except he's a tough SOB.

@WordsOfWisdom

Well, not sure how you want to define "tough guy"...but the Leafs have enough of them in terms of rugged on ice play with some goonery thrown in.

Matt Martin, Connor Carrick, Roman Polak, Leo Komarov, and yes, Nazem Kadri all play with a very tough edge to them, some like Roman Polak not only LOOK like cavemen, but actually are genetically very close to his ancestral Neanderthals!

As for Kadri and his team leading PIMs, well, let's just say Kadri is a reckless bonehead, who, while he CAN play a good tough game, usually gets called for PIMs doing careless and/or stupid things on the ice.

In this day and age in the NHL,leading in PIMs isn't necessarily the mark of a tough guy as many times is the case, it can also show who on the team is a slow learner.....

2 hours ago, jammer2 said:

What fishbulb said, the Leafs gave 2 mill a year to a pure goon who can really only fight and hit....so that pretty well answers your question. Windsor native to boot, which does not mean much, except he's a tough SOB.

Funny thing is, I don't notice Matt Martin on the ice. Whatever he's doing, he's doing it quietly. :unsure[1]:

2 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Funny thing is, I don't notice Matt Martin on the ice. Whatever he's doing, he's doing it quietly. :unsure[1]:

He has sat the odd  game out, but why should he be loud, he's a non talent player who is already guaranteed his salary?

21 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

@WordsOfWisdom

Well, not sure how you want to define "tough guy"...but the Leafs have enough of them in terms of rugged on ice play with some goonery thrown in.

Matt Martin, Connor Carrick, Roman Polak, Leo Komarov, and yes, Nazem Kadri all play with a very tough edge to them, some like Roman Polak not only LOOK like cavemen, but actually are genetically very close to his ancestral Neanderthals!

As for Kadri and his team leading PIMs, well, let's just say Kadri is a reckless bonehead, who, while he CAN play a good tough game, usually gets called for PIMs doing careless and/or stupid things on the ice.

In this day and age in the NHL,leading in PIMs isn't necessarily the mark of a tough guy as many times is the case, it can also show who on the team is a slow learner.....

To me a "tough guy" in hockey is a player that goes into the tough areas, throws their weight around, punishes opposing players with devastating hits, and backs it up with a fight if the situation calls for it.   :)

LOL at the Polak comment. ;)

Is Kadri being reckless or is he the only Leafs player delivering hits that put opposing players down? He seems to be the best open ice hitter that the Leafs have. He's the only guy that can knock someone down and they don't get up again. That draws him into fights. I don't know what Komarov or Polak are doing other than light body contact, but every player does that. I can't remember a memorable hit by anyone other than Kadri.  :unsure[1]:

2 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

He has sat the odd  game out, but why should he be loud, he's a non talent player who is already guaranteed his salary?

I mean that I don't notice him on the ice. I don't see him hitting anyone, fighting anyone, or doing any tough guy stuff. :56ce53d1d6689_IDunnoSmiley:

8 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I mean that I don't notice him on the ice. I don't see him hitting anyone, fighting anyone, or doing any tough guy stuff. :56ce53d1d6689_IDunnoSmiley:

He was right in the middle of the Vancouver scuffle at the end of the game, but yeah, he has been oddly uninvolved...perhaps the team told him to hold back on potential situations which put the Leafs in the box, but rather to respond when a younger player is threatened....one of the only things I can think of.

Archived