The Kids Are Alright

WordsOfWisdom

The numbers are in for November (didn't want to wait any longer). Toronto's young forwards are leading the way:

• Marner: 7 goals, 11 assists, 18 points, 6 errors, +12, .983 Def%. 
  • Matthews: 9 goals, 8 assists, 17 points, 6 errors, +11, .984 Def%.
  • Nylander: 6 goals, 9 assists, 15 points, 4 errors, +11, .988 Def%.

The kids aren't just contributing to the Leafs, they are the three best forwards (overall) on the Leafs. :)  With all the pressure on Matthews, Marner has quietly snuck in and moved to the top of the list. 

What a difference a line can make. None of these three players were here at this time last year when the Leafs were languishing in 30th place. They've been a huge upgrade on the status quo. 

1 hour ago, BluPuk said:

Every time I get pumped for the Leafs, they lose to some schmuck team like Carolina or Jersey, so my lips are zipped!

The fact that the rookies on this team are outperforming the veterans tells you everything you need to know about the core group that has been here the past several years... and how quickly they will cease to be the core group going forward.  :o

Nylander, Matthews, and Marner have been a long overdue talent injection for the blue and white. :)

• 1 month later...

What a change from last season.  Have a look at the Leafs leaders as we approach the halfway point of the season:

new look leafs.jpg

For those of you keeping score...

• Matthews with 20 goals has already tied P.A. Parenteau's total for all of last season.
  • No Leafs player was better than +4 last season. Gardiner is already +8.
  • Andersen has more wins already than Bernier or Reimer had all year.
  • Marner's 19 assists would rank him 6th on last year's team -- with half a season yet to play.  

We are currently in the top half of the NHL overall standings (14th). We are at a +6 in goal differential, and 6 points over .500.

We are third in our division so if the play-offs were to start today we would be in!

Not bad for a bunch of rookies and a back-up goalie, eh? Babcock for the Jack Adams!

10 hours ago, BluPuk said:

We are currently in the top half of the NHL overall standings (14th). We are at a +6 in goal differential, and 6 points over .500.

We are third in our division so if the play-offs were to start today we would be in!

Not bad for a bunch of rookies and a back-up goalie, eh? Babcock for the Jack Adams!

The last two weeks have been a dramatic turnaround.

I did a second take when they showed the standings and the Leafs being in a playoff spot. Granted, I can't believe how weak our division is. Montreal is the only legit team, and how legit are they really? Being the top team of a weak division doesn't say much. I fully expect the Habs to be wiped out in round one of the playoffs. 

As for the Leafs, it would be a bonus if we got there but I'm not expecting it to happen. I still think we should be trying to win another draft lottery. Look at the huge impact that Matthews has had on the team. Imagine the Leafs drafting another player the calibre of Matthews (except a defenceman this time). :)

10 hours ago, hobie said:

I think Leaf fans just deserve some success!

OK, a little. :NinjaLookLeftRight1:  But seriously, Shanahan and Babcock are building a team for the future the right way.

Welcome to the site.  :welcome:

I think all of us here as fans of different teams want success for our favorite teams.  

I've enjoyed watching several Leafs games also this year, this is a team I believe will be in the Playoffs.

11 hours ago, hobie said:

I think Leaf fans just deserve some success!

Yeah no kidding. If team performance reflected fan passion, attendance, revenue, and recent droughts, then the Leafs should go 82-0-0, sweep the playoffs, and do it year after year until they set a new record for consecutive Stanley Cups.  :bluehockey:

With so little expectations anything positive seems a major accomplishment.

So far I've loved TO's introducing so many rookies and mostly they look to be deserving NHLers with great potential. 

Archived