Landeskog to Philly?

radoran

44 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Am I the only one that really has no interest in acquiring Landeskog? I mean, great player and all, but just not worth what Colorado is asking and you know Sakic is going to try to get what he wants for Landeskog. I know I posted wanting Duchene, but I think Duchene makes a great 2nd line center (sorry Coots, but it's clear you just don't have the offensive chops for the 2nd line duty) and a potential replacement for Giroux on the first line should the Flyers decide to move Giroux to the wing (where I think he'd be better suited and allow him to really focus on his playmaking ability and alleviate him of a lot of defensive responsibility). Of course, I'm also the same guy who's ready to blow it up and start from scratch and have a forward core to grow forward with the defense core.......

I would love to get Duchene also, because as you said Coots is no 2nd line center and does not posses the offensive tools needed for this level. It is a shame because I was so hyped when the Flyers drafted him.

My dream trade would to do business with Detroit and trade for both Mantha and Larkin. That would fill the need of a big scoring left wing and a perfect center backing up Giroux on the 2nd line. I shutter to think what it would cost to get those two guys though.

In all seriousness though, I would much rather wait until the deadline or if better suited the offseason :( and make a trade or two. I to would rather the Flyers trade for someone else rather then Landeskog.

6 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

Fans can often overrate their own talent, so take an outsider's perspective.

Even though he'll never re-produce what he did last year, If I were Ron Hextall, I wouldn't even entertain the idea of trading Shayne Gostisbehere for Gabriel Landeskog. It would simply be giving up too much, as much as I like Landeskog. It's just my own humble opinion, but that would be the sort of move a loser team makes.

When you need a left winger, and have lots of centres, then move one of them to the port side. You don't spend a rare asset which is very hard to draft in order to cover an area which is easier to find for other than the most special kind of forward. If Taylor Hall returned Adam Larsson, then giving up Ghost in exchange for Landeskog is simply too much.

I'm perfectly happy with this idea.

What center are you moving for a top line LW?

51 minutes ago, radoran said:

Quite specifically with the Flyers I wouldn't be able to say who would be the best guy to do that with. I don't know every position they've ever played before, I don't know who's comfortable doing what. Beyond swapping a left-handed shot who's not the greatest at faceoffs, that's one for the coaching staff.

On 1/12/2017 at 6:26 PM, JR Ewing said:

365 days ago, this forum would have detonated if Ghost and Landeskog appeared in the hypothetical trade talks, such was the fervor at the time.

You could slide the decimal two places to the left and it wouldn't be the first time there was that kind of swing.   Actually, sliding 3 places still gets you almost 9 hours.   That would not be a record.

(But yeah, it's amazing what one year gets you.   I'm still in the "detonate it" camp, though.  Mostly because I'm not as "oooh shiny" about Landeskog as others seem to be).

On 1/12/2017 at 7:01 PM, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I'd say wait until the off season and see what Colorado wants to do with Duchene

No thank you on Duchene. It seems Joe Sakic is going to hold up in a shotgun shack asking a king's ransom for any of his guys.  It's possible this is just an off year for Duchene, and obviously he's on a catastrophe of a team.  I just am not convinced that he's not actually one of the problems.   I realize +/- is not the beat all, end all of stats and I haven't looked at some of the advanced stats, but he's a -40 player in his career.   I don't know, I wouldn't give up much for him, and I don't think  "wouldn't give up much" is an option with Joe Sakic.    

And I'm with you on Landeskog.   He's the better of the two, but I'm not ripping a hole in my team to get him, either. 

I'd move on from Denver on the sudden shopping spree that Hextall isn't along for anyway.  The Flyers are looking to go Dollar General--not Neiman Marcus--anyway.

10 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

should the Flyers decide to move Giroux to the wing (where I think he'd be better suited and allow him to really focus on his playmaking ability and alleviate him of a lot of defensive responsibility). Of course, I'm also the same guy who's ready to blow it up and start from scratch and have a forward core to grow forward with the defense core.......

Yeah, I'm sorry, I don't agree with any of this.  You

1) Don't move one of the best faceoff guys in the league, someone defensively capable, and someone who tends to be pass-first to the wing.   Besides, on the Flyers organization, even the pretzel guy gets moved to center.  No one gets moved from center.

2) Don't take this team and blow it up yet again while it's only half-baked.  There's absolutely no reason to do that.  Let's not be in a perpetual rebuild and there's no reason why there can't be a mix of veterans and young kids.   You don't want everyone on the team to be in their first 3 years.

9 hours ago, Philly29 said:

My dream trade would to do business with Detroit and trade for both Mantha and Larkin. That would fill the need of a big scoring left wing and a perfect center backing up Giroux on the 2nd line. I shutter to think what it would cost to get those two guys though.

Never gonna happen (because of your very last sentence), but I would be a hell of a lot more interested in at least window-shopping that than I am Duchene or Landeskog.

Really, I'm against Landeskog just because of the hole it would rip in the team.   Duchene?  I'm not sold on the idea it's at all worth the effort.

Larkin has had a tough year, but I'd take a flyer on the idea that his team around him is just not a good situation.   In Duchene's case, I think he's actually possibly part of the problem.

Get on the Detroit thing.  I like it.

5 hours ago, radoran said:

I don't think he meant trade a center.  I read it as literally move Giroux or Coots or someone to the wing.   Moving Giroux doesn't work, IMO, due to reasons I just stated in another post.   Plus, if you're looking to move someone to Giroux's wing, Giroux isn't the answer.  Giroux simply cannot play leftwinger to Giroux the center.

Coots would be a disaster on Giroux's wing.

Schenn was tried.   That was successful, so we certainly cannot try that again.  That would be silly to repeat something that worked.

Laughton.  Let's keep the discussion to someone who is actually an NHL player.

I got nothing.

Maybe we could trade for a center and convert him to Giroux's wing.    I don't know about you, but if I'm trading for a center who is worth anything, he's slotting in as my second line center.  

I like JR's idea in general, and I'm probably forgetting a possibility or three.   But I'm up at 4:30 in the morning and am struggling to come up with a viable Flyer to move from center to Giroux's wing.

7 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I don't think he meant trade a center.  I read it as literally move Giroux or Coots or someone to the wing.   Moving Giroux doesn't work, IMO, due to reasons I just stated in another post.   Plus, if you're looking to move someone to Giroux's wing, Giroux isn't the answer.  Giroux simply cannot play leftwinger to Giroux the center.

Coots would be a disaster on Giroux's wing.

Schenn was tried.   That was successful, so we certainly cannot try that again.  That would be silly to repeat something that worked.

Laughton.  Let's keep the discussion to someone who is actually an NHL player.

I got nothing.

Maybe we could trade for a center and convert him to Giroux's wing.    I don't know about you, but if I'm trading for a center who is worth anything, he's slotting in as my second line center.  

I like JR's idea in general, and I'm probably forgetting a possibility or three.   But I'm up at 4:30 in the morning and am struggling to come up with a viable Flyer to move from center to Giroux's wing.

Yeah, I definitely do NOT think the Flyers should move Giroux to wing. Would be crazy.

Really, I was talking in very broad terms about what I would do if I found myself in the position of having too many centres or defensemen compared to wingers. In short, I'm not sure that such a problem exists. The number of guys who can move from centre to wing successfully is larger than the list of players that can make the opposite switch. Defensemen? They're not nearly as easy to project as forwards, that when you hit a home run on draft day and find a true difference maker, then I'm loathe to move him for a winger as well.

After watching Kevin Lowe, Steve Tambellini and then Craig MacTavish bungle their rebuild by starting from the wing first and then the middle, the importance of building from the middle-out has only been hammered home.

10 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

Yeah, I definitely do NOT think the Flyers should move Giroux to wing. Would be crazy.

Really, I was talking in very broad terms about what I would do if I found myself in the position of having too many centres or defensemen compared to wingers. In short, I'm not sure that such a problem exists. The number of guys who can move from centre to wing successfully is larger than the list of players that can make the opposite switch. Defensemen? They're not nearly as easy to project as forwards, that when you hit a home run on draft day and find a true difference maker, then I'm loathe to move him for a winger as well.

After watching Kevin Lowe, Steve Tambellini and then Craig MacTavish bungle their rebuild by starting from the wing first and then the middle, the importance of building from the middle-out has only been hammered home.

Yeah, I knew you didn't mean Giroux.   Just in-house moving a center to wing.  It seemed your "move" was being interpreted as "trade out a center for a winger."   I didn't think I was reading that in your post.

Completely agree with everything you just wrote, though.  I definitely don't move a dman for a winger at this point.  And the Oilers are a great case study of why not.   At some point down the road, the Flyers may be in a position where that one winger could make the difference between 2nd round exit and a shot at the cup.   Then, you go back and weigh cost vs. ROI.  Now is not that time.

I agree, too, with the center to wing in general theory.  I was just going down the laundry list of possible centers the Flyers have to do that with and nothing really excites me.   The fact of the matter is, we have a lot of centers but no particularly good offensive ones that say to me "if only he was moved to wing, he could light it up!"    Rubstov interests me as a possibility, actually, but he's not near ready.   When the time comes, who knows?

7 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Never gonna happen (because of your very last sentence), but I would be a hell of a lot more interested in at least window-shopping that than I am Duchene or Landeskog.

Really, I'm against Landeskog just because of the hole it would rip in the team.   Duchene?  I'm not sold on the idea it's at all worth the effort.

Larkin has had a tough year, but I'd take a flyer on the idea that his team around him is just not a good situation.   In Duchene's case, I think he's actually possibly part of the problem.

Get on the Detroit thing.  I like it.

I'm trying brother I am going to give Hextall a call today to get the ball rolling on it ;)

Archived