MacDud hits 40 Games Played!

flyerrod

12 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well he and Sid are best buds so i say we trade him to the Pens for nothing more than a few bent pucks!!!!

Image result for andrew mcdonald and sidney crosby

Maybe they are more than friends...Sid needs love too.......

How about M.A.F.?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, flyerrod said:

I would put Manning(at least this year) as a 3/4 or second pairing. Macdud rates no higher than 8th on this team behind even Schulz who actually is a definsive d-man.

No way. Manning is not a 2nd pairing defenseman 

3 hours ago, RJ8812 said:

No way. Manning is not a 2nd pairing defenseman 

Last year I would have agreed with that but he has been very strong position-wise with and without the puck this year. It also helps him that he is on the Flyers.

On 1/23/2017 at 9:51 PM, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

I don't expect him to get waived.  Hopefully, Hexy can trade him at the deadline...or tomorrow.

The only way he's getting traded is if it's to a team having trouble hitting the cap floor AND Hextall is sending one of our kids as well.  

Does Phoenix have a scoring LW we could use?  

Otherwise the point of the good news on Mac is that he can now be exposed which doesn't mean Vegas will take him, but DOES mean that we can use our protections for the 3 guys we want to keep instead of just two of them or instead of having to sign a guy just to expose him.

This means Ghost, Gudas and Manning are all protectable.

This means that if Hextall can pull off a trade for a more reliable stay at home Vet type D man (my hope), then THAT guy can be protected.  

I understand why Mac is playing now.  I really do.  Frankly I think the defense played better with Manning in for MDZ than if Manning was in for Mac.

Mac should be a 3rd pairing guy with low responsibility.  But right now they're actually using him like a 5 million first pairing guy.  

In my realistically ideal world, with MDZ, Streit and Schultz off the books for next year, we trade for a Jay Bouwmeister type guy (people hate him, but name for me another vet with experience who's got a physical presence, makes less than 6 million and will only be under contract for 2 more years?)  Use his presence to ease in the youth program.  In two years who knows, maybe Gudas becomes your deadline trade for a first.  

23 minutes ago, flyerrod said:

Last year I would have agreed with that but he has been very strong position-wise with and without the puck this year. It also helps him that he is on the Flyers.

I think last night we saw what you're talking about.  

But As with last night, I think it's still more valuable to play Manning over MDZ instead of Mac.

It just makes the pairings work out better. They need to trade MDZ as soon as possible IMHO before more teams catch wind to the fact that he's too inconsistent to risk much on.  

On 1/24/2017 at 2:04 PM, Bertmega said:

And when that day comes, I am sure Bettman will award them the 1st over all pick to help ease the pain. 

:haha:

On a side note, I cannot believe that Crosby is only 29. It feels like he's been in the league for ages. 

I'm hoping our down years aren't that down! I still would like to be in the running for the Cup at that time!

On 1/26/2017 at 2:34 PM, King Knut said:

They need to trade MDZ as soon as possible IMHO before more teams catch wind to the fact that he's too inconsistent to risk much on.  

I'm not so sure. To me MDZ is still a work-in-progress who's game has mirrored the team's ups and downs this year. This is a guy who put up 32 pts in 64 games for the Flyers - under Berube no less. Naturally he's bit of a defensive liability but nothing outrageous given what he contributes offensively.

Last year he struggled with injuries; this year maybe Hak has soured on him...I don't know but he's been a healthy scratch a little too often imho. MDZ is a potent weapon on a team that's more complete than the Flyers. They aren't there yet but MDZ's point-production - he's just 26 - should help get them there.

What does he fetch in trade? A 2R maybe? I'd rather keep him, offer him ~$8mil for 2 years. He's in no position to expect a big deal, either in terms of money or length. A short "bridge" contract with the Flyers might work well for both sides provided Hakstol will play him.

Archived