Matthews Breaks Leafs Rookie Record for Goals!

Nothing but kudos for this kid. Terrific player over all 200 feet and 4 corners. Knows how to back-check. It's hard for an old Leafs fan like me to believe that we finally got our stud centre.  

WOOT! WOOT! 

Let's give this a bit more context. It looks like no one is going to get 50 this year. That hasn't happened in a non-shortened season since 2003-04. (Though in fairness, no one but Ovechkin has done it since 2011-12.) This also doesn't look like a good year for 40-goal seasons, as I'm guessing no more than 3-4 guys tops will reach that mark. Therefore, those 35 goals are good for a tie for fourth in the league right now. By a rookie. If you knew any rookie was going to come in and finish fourth in goals, you'd be thinking that he was going to be something very special. AND, let's not forget Laine. He's only one back. AND, let's not forget McDavid. He's probably already a top-3 player in his second season.

I think we're looking at something huge right now, and Matthews is a big part of it. For all my tendency to make fun of the Leafs, have fun with this, guys. You've got a generational talent, and those are a blast to have.

On 3/29/2017 at 1:29 PM, ScottM said:

I think we're looking at something huge right now, and Matthews is a big part of it. For all my tendency to make fun of the Leafs, have fun with this, guys. You've got a generational talent, and those are a blast to have.

Leafs have never had a generational talent as a rookie before, so this is all new to us. I realize for fans of other teams this sort of thing happens every year when you have Crosby, Lindros, Malkin, Lemieux, Jagr, McDavid, Selanne, Mogilny, etc.... take your pick all the way to infinity... but there has never been a rookie in the blue and white that could be mentioned in the same breath as any of those players.

Matthews is going to break every Leafs rookie record, and if he sticks around a few years, he'll break every franchise record the Leafs have too. Just give him 10 years and he'll be #1 in everything except penalty minutes for the Leafs franchise. :)

10 minutes ago, BluPuk said:

My fear is that he may want to play for for the 'Yotes...... :pleasestopnow:

The guy is going to be a god in Toronto. If he enjoys that type of thing, he certainly isn't going to get it in Arizona. He'll probably never have to buy a car, or a meal, as long as he lives, in Toronto.

1 hour ago, BluPuk said:

My fear is that he may want to play for for the 'Yotes...... :pleasestopnow:

That's always a valid concern. Funny how it never works the other way around. ie: Player X grows up in Toronto (and there are many), gets drafted by whoever, and then steadfastly refuses to leave their current team when their contract expires to play for the Leafs (or anywhere in Canada for that matter). :(

Just now, WordsOfWisdom said:

I didn't see that play. Is Matthews injured???  :blink[1]:

I don't know it is the first i seen of it too.

I haven't seen anything anywhere so i'd have to assume not seeing anything on it is a good sign for you guys.

I just awoke to it all. If i see anything i'll post it.

Archived