Round 1 - Columbus Blue Jackets, Pens win series 4-1

nossagog

The Stanley Cup Playoffs have finally arrived and the Pens are finally moving players off of their injured list and back into play.    Malkin should be ready for game one, so that leaves only Hagelin, who is skating who will return to the lineup hopefully soon.   The loss of Letang is sure to affect the Pens power play pct., but they've been playing without him so long that they've basically adjusted already. 

I think the keys for the Pens are as followed.

1) Keep the speed of the game up and key on transition.  . 

2) Stay away from the post whistle stuff.  It's a Fonzie team whom will try to muck things up. 

3) Make them pay on the Power Play.  It's the playoffs, there will not be many chances, make the most out of the ones you do get. 

4) Stay out of the box and make it a 5v5 series. 

5) Move the puck quickly on defense because the Jackets will try to hit everyone near the puck.

If the Pens stay on task and play the game between the whistles, I think they win this series, but end up pretty bruised because of it.    In the last few years the Pens/Blue Jagoffs has become a pretty good regional rivalry, this should only intensify it. 

I would add 3 things.

1)forecheck! COLUMBUS can't score if the puck is in their defensive zone!

2)forecheck! It might frustrate them and force them to take a few stupid penalties! 

3l forecheck! This could create a few scoring chances! (Hopefully scoring some ugly goals!)

4 hours ago, nossagog said:

The Stanley Cup Playoffs have finally arrived and the Pens are finally moving players off of their injured list and back into play.    Malkin should be ready for game one, so that leaves only Hagelin, who is skating who will return to the lineup hopefully soon.   The loss of Letang is sure to affect the Pens power play pct., but they've been playing without him so long that they've basically adjusted already. 

I think the keys for the Pens are as followed.

1) Keep the speed of the game up and key on transition.  . 

2) Stay away from the post whistle stuff.  It's a Fonzie team whom will try to muck things up. 

3) Make them pay on the Power Play.  It's the playoffs, there will not be many chances, make the most out of the ones you do get. 

4) Stay out of the box and make it a 5v5 series. 

5) Move the puck quickly on defense because the Jackets will try to hit everyone near the puck.

If the Pens stay on task and play the game between the whistles, I think they win this series, but end up pretty bruised because of it.    In the last few years the Pens/Blue Jagoffs has become a pretty good regional rivalry, this should only intensify it. 

Great analysis as always. I think the recent 4-1 win against the Jackets shows the expected result if the Pens stick to your points. Especially staying away from the post-whistle shenanigans because the Boone Jenners and Brandon Dubinskys of the world are really going to try and get under the Pens' skin (i.e. - Crosby and Malkin).  At some point we can expect the usual Tortorella officiating "whine" as well. Just be above it and get out of this series as quick as you can. 

Awesome game one for the Pens.  They weathered the first period where the Jackets took it to them physically, but really used the speed in the second period to take control of the game.  Only worrying factor was quite a few giveaways off of defensive zone pressure.   Need to work on that and not make anything easy for the Jackets. 

Let's look at the keys:

1) Keep the speed of the game up and key on transition.  Check

2) Stay away from the post whistle stuff.  It's a Fonzie team whom will try to muck things up.  Check

3) Make them pay on the Power Play.  Check 

4) Stay out of the box and make it a 5v5 series.   Almost a check, 

5) Move the puck quickly on defense.  Needs some work

My wife is a HUGE Jacket fan and she was pumped after the first period I told her that to have outperformed the Pens to that extent and to have come out with nothing to show for it was not a good thing. She said that the Jackets had this.

Ten minutes into the second we went to bed. Of course we are up every day at 3:30 lol but if it had been 2-0 CBJ instead of the other way around she would have insisted on watching the entire game.

I don't know, I just watched the rest of the game on DVR and Columbus played a solid game other than that first half of the second period where they had breakdowns, they forced Pittsburgh to the outside most of the night only giving up low percentage shots most of the night. This series is far from done. Fleury stole one for your boys wit a brilliant first period of Hockey.

10 hours ago, nossagog said:

Awesome game one for the Pens.  They weathered the first period where the Jackets took it to them physically, but really used the speed in the second period to take control of the game.  Only worrying factor was quite a few giveaways off of defensive zone pressure.   Need to work on that and not make anything easy for the Jackets. 

Let's look at the keys:

1) Keep the speed of the game up and key on transition.  Check

2) Stay away from the post whistle stuff.  It's a Fonzie team whom will try to muck things up.  Check

3) Make them pay on the Power Play.  Check 

4) Stay out of the box and make it a 5v5 series.   Almost a check, 

5) Move the puck quickly on defense.  Needs some work

Columbus came out and did what everyone expected them to do. Fleury saved the Pens in the 1st period (outshot 16-3). Pens turned the table in the 2nd and Bobrovsky couldn't do the same (Pens outshot the Jackets 16-4).  After that the Pens went into lead protection mode and it was over. I noticed in the 2nd (once it went 2-0) that the Jackets were trying even harder with the post-whistle shenanigans and the Pens weren't biting...at all. Predictable results.

My biggest takeaways...

Malkin is not rusty. He probably could have played at the end of the regular season...

Speaking of "Rusty" - Bryan Rust is really becoming a clutch post season performer. Maybe it's just me but a lot of his goals seem to come in big spots...

Any game he plays now could be Fleury's last in a Pens uniform. Bittersweet...but what final game if it is his last.

1 hour ago, B21 said:

Columbus came out and did what everyone expected them to do. Fleury saved the Pens in the 1st period (outshot 16-3). Pens turned the table in the 2nd and Bobrovsky couldn't do the same (Pens outshot the Jackets 16-4).  After that the Pens went into lead protection mode and it was over. I noticed in the 2nd (once it went 2-0) that the Jackets were trying even harder with the post-whistle shenanigans and the Pens weren't biting...at all. Predictable results.

My biggest takeaways...

Malkin is not rusty. He probably could have played at the end of the regular season...

Speaking of "Rusty" - Bryan Rust is really becoming a clutch post season performer. Maybe it's just me but a lot of his goals seem to come in big spots...

Any game he plays now could be Fleury's last in a Pens uniform. Bittersweet...but what final game if it is his last.

Yeah, but I think no matter what, he gets the start on Friday.   Played a very controlled game, and was stellar when it counted.    I am convinced that Murray is dealing with something that happened during the Devils game, and if its a groin, it could keep him on the shelf for more time.   They kept Fleury for this reason, so make use of him and don't rush Murray back. 

I am very surprised that through 2 games Marc Andre Fleury gave up only 2 goals! In most cases when he gives up 1, he gives up 4 or 5 and the Pens can't score enough to win especially when it's playoffs time! Sullivan has a decision to make when Murray returns.

11 hours ago, Samifan said:

Gotta think it's MAF net unless he implodes. Ride the hot hand.

Yeah, its kinda weird.  He was having probably his best year ever last season before he was injured and lost his job to Murray.   And this year its the opposite. 

What a COMPLETE and TOTAL joke!  Calvert gets *one* game for this offense??

I really don't know what was worse, the blatant cross check to the back of Tom's head, or the head shot that followed while he was reeling from the cross check. This is 10 games EASY in my books. How can this be??  One game??  WTF goes on here!>!

1 hour ago, jammer2 said:

What a COMPLETE and TOTAL joke!  Calvert gets *one* game for this offense??

I really don't know what was worse, the blatant cross check to the back of Tom's head, or the head shot that followed while he was reeling from the cross check. This is 10 games EASY in my books. How can this be??  One game??  WTF goes on here!>!

They're not nicknamed the DOPeS for nothing.  Even their explanation was flawed. They focused on the crosscheck and totally ignored the part where with him bent over he goes right after his HEAD.   This wasn't an accidental hit or play, puck was no where near them.  This was a player out there just to hurt someone.  The on ice officials bear some of the blame as they should have given this a match penalty for intent to injure.

I am very surprised that through 2 games Marc Andre Fleury gave up only 2 goals! In most cases when he gives up 1, he gives up 4 or 5 and the Pens can't score enough to win especially when it's playoffs time! Sullivan has a decision to make when Murray returns.

2 hours ago, notfondajane said:

There's no decision. Just like last year, ride him cowboy till he drops.  He gives up  4 and they still win.  It's all about confidence.

6 hours ago, nossagog said:

There's no decision. Just like last year, ride him cowboy till he drops.  He gives up  4 and they still win.  It's all about confidence.

In the past Fleury was totally afraid of the puck he had no idea were it was (so it seemed)and with the style of play the Pens used they couldn't afford to give up 4 or 5 goals! I was surprised that they won last night. I wonder if Sullivan has confidence in Jarry? I would have yanked Fleury after the first period, I am unsure of Jarry at this level especially at this time of year!

Guentzel's OT winner in game three.   Fonzie has to be pissed at Savard, looks like he just says "I'm tired of chasing Crosby, I'll just wait here till he turns back again . . . OOOPS. Let me get that puck out of the net.".

On 4/16/2017 at 6:03 PM, nossagog said:

They're not nicknamed the DOPeS for nothing.  Even their explanation was flawed. They focused on the crosscheck and totally ignored the part where with him bent over he goes right after his HEAD.   This wasn't an accidental hit or play, puck was no where near them.  This was a player out there just to hurt someone.  The on ice officials bear some of the blame as they should have given this a match penalty for intent to injure.

I agree 100%. This is a mockery of justice!  Simply outrageous, If there was *EVER* a case for a major intent to injure, THAT was it. How do you not factor in the 3 stride wind up intentional shot to the head? Are they high? When are the officials going to be disciplined for that GIGANTIC miss!!   Even when you discount the head shot at the end (which is outrageous to begin with), since when is hunting down a player with his back to you, then snapping your stick like a twig on his neck only worth one game??  That act alone was worth 3 games in my books. The head shot should be 10,games, so he should have got 13 games...ONE GAME...PFFFFFTTTT!!

14 hours ago, jammer2 said:

I agree 100%. This is a mockery of justice!  Simply outrageous, If there was *EVER* a case for a major intent to injure, THAT was it. How do you not factor in the 3 stride wind up intentional shot to the head? Are they high? When are the officials going to be disciplined for that GIGANTIC miss!!   Even when you discount the head shot at the end (which is outrageous to begin with), since when is hunting down a player with his back to you, then snapping your stick like a twig on his neck only worth one game??  That act alone was worth 3 games in my books. The head shot should be 10,games, so he should have got 13 games...ONE GAME...PFFFFFTTTT!!

It is the playoffs. Calculate regular seasons suspension then subtract 9. I think 10 is a"bit" much but stilll...

#mostprotectedteaminhockey

Stinker tonight.   Pens violated point 5, and didn't move the puck very well on the back end tonight.   Too many times they were either too slow to the puck, or just try to freeze the puck to the boards. Bounces went the Jackets way to night on a couple of goals, but that just the way it goes. 

Pens also need to start games better. Columbus has been the better team in the first 10 minutes each game.  Team needs to come out ready to play. 

Edit:  Also, I need to get a gif of Foligno snapping his head like he'd been hit when nothing got near his head. AND HE DREW THE PENALTY!!! The officials need to be shamed for falling for that. 

Archived