20 Million to play with right?

Jam1986

If true go to town Hex!  Hex NO 8yr contracts with NTC and NMC!! Dump some of the core. Make trades and dump more money off the cap. Only  bring kids up when ready no rushing. Need more speed,skill and size. Like how Hex goes for extra picks.  Sorry guys if to long !

• ruxpin changed the title to 20 Million to play with right?

The way I'm figuring it, they have anywhere from $7M (if the cap stays at $73M) to $9M (if it goes to $75).   It seems it will stay at $73.

There are many here who do this cap thing better than I, so hopefully they can correct me if I'm wrong.

But if I'm right, keep in mind that we only have one goalie signed.  If it's Stolarz, it shouldn't be that much, but still cuts into the $7M.    

And they still have Lyubimov, Cousins, Vandevelde, Weal, and Vecchione to sign. Ghost is an RFA and will need to be signed as well.   And Morin's $800K isn't included in this.

I don't think you're going to see any large signings if the Flyers are in the cap ballpark I think they are.

There still isn't all that much space. While the Flyers generally only have bottom-6 forwards to re-sign, Ghost is going to chew up a lot of your available space. Here's how I think this will generally play out:

First, picking number 2 now is huge. I'm not sure if either Patrick or Hischier is NHL-ready, but if you assume they are, that helps by sliding Filpulla over to 2LW. 

Lindblom will be over next year, and I think it's likely he makes the big club out of the gate. He does not yet have an ELC, so we'll assume he gets the max. Ditto Hischier or Patrick.

I think Raffl is the most likely expansion casualty. If it's Read, that adds a few million in space. If it's Laughton or Cousins, that makes things quite a bit tighter.

Ghost is going to pull down somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 million. If it's less, great for the Flyers.

One, possibly two defense prospects will be on the club. I'm picking Myers and Hagg, but it's really only a matter of a few hundred thousand up or down if the names change.

Vecchione will get about the same as he got before. We'll give Stolarz a bump to 1.5 million on a short deal. Weal should still come in at under a million.

So, based on my projection, you're looking at:

Lindblom (0.925) - Giroux (8.275) - Voracek (8.25)

Filppula (5.0) - Hischier (0.925) - Simmonds (3.975)

Schenn (5.25) - Couturier (4.334) - Konecny (0.894)

Bellemare (1.45) - Vecchione (0.950) - Weise (2.35)

Read (3.625) - Weal (0.950)

Provorov (0.894) - MacDonald (5.0)

Gostisbehere (5.0) - Hagg (0.894)

Myers (0.648) - Gudas (3.35)

Manning (0.975)

Neuvirth (2.5)

Stolarz (1.5)

That leaves the Flyers with 3.71 million dollars to make upgrades, plus up to 1,025,000 per player on the above roster that is sent to the minors. While they'll be comfortably below the cap for the first time in a long while, they really don't have the ability to be big spenders this offseason. 

22 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Gostisbehere (5.0)

I'm thinking Klingberg is a good starting point. Except maybe a 5 year deal instead of 7.

Ah screw it. Didn't copy and past like i wanted but i made the point.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/john-klingberg

SEASON CLAUSE CAP HIT q2.svg AAV q2.svg S. BONUSES q2.svg P. BONUSES q2.svg NHL SALARY q2.svg MINORS SALARY q2.svg
2015-16   $4,250,000 $4,250,000 $350,000 $0 $2,250,000 $2,250,000
2016-17   $4,250,000 $4,250,000 $0 $0 $2,750,000 $2,750,000
2017-18   $4,250,000 $4,250,000 $0 $0 $3,500,000 $3,500,000
2018-19   $4,250,000 $4,250,000 $0 $0 $4,500,000 $4,500,000
2019-20   $4,250,000 $4,250,000 $0 $0 $5,000,000 $5,000,000
2020-21   $4,250,000 $4,250,000 $0 $0 $5,750,000 $5,750,000
2021-22   $4,250,000 $4,250,000 $0 $0 $6,000,000

$6,000,000

According to https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/flyers there is $13,153,333 to play with. That doesn't include if someone like Weise, Raffl or Read are taken in the expansion draft. If that's the case, there's over $16 million to play with, and that includes the Neuvirth and Filppula contracts. So, that should be enough to get Gostisbehere signed (contrary to what some think, he's not going to break the bank and he's getting a bridge deal), get a goaltender (there's no way they go with a Stolarz/Neuvirth tandem) and at least one defenseman to help round out the blueline (I'm still thinking that they offer up a Cousins/Leier/Laughton type prospect to Las Vegas to take on the contract of MacDonald). Even with Lindblom coming onboard, there's still money left over. The Flyers are in good financially this off season.

I've argued for this before, and I'll do so here again: I think the Flyers should make a play for Hjalmarsson out of Chicago. As it sits, Chicago has 12 forwards and 6 defensemen under contract for next year, and 2.7 million in cap space. That's going to decrease by 850,000 as Panarin hit all four of his schedule A bonuses, though they dodged a bullet by him placing 11th in NHL scoring, as that would have added another 1.75 million bonus. Another 750,000 in overage will hit since Brian Campbell played in 10 games,  250,000 since Kempny played in 10 games, and 94,500 for Forsling playing in 35 games. That runs to roughly 1.95 million in bonuses, less a whopping 11,000 in cap space - meaning they face an overage of over 1.9 million vs. next season's cap.

That leaves them with ~800k to re-sign their own free agents, including Richard Panik. Of course they can free up some space by demoting players, but that won't give them nearly enough wiggle room. Someone has to move. Especially if the Flyers can get Ghost on a shorter, cheaper contract, Hjalmarsson for two years at 4.1 million is a comfortable fit.

3 hours ago, AJgoal said:

Provorov (0.894) - MacDonald (5.0)

Gostisbehere (5.0) - Hagg (0.894)

Myers (0.648) - Gudas (3.35)

Manning (0.975)

Just asking:   Did you deliberately omit Morin or was it an oversight?

3 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

According to https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/flyers there is $13,153,333 to play with. That doesn't include if someone like Weise, Raffl or Read are taken in the expansion draft. If that's the case, there's over $16 million to play with, and that includes the Neuvirth and Filppula contracts. So, that should be enough to get Gostisbehere signed (contrary to what some think, he's not going to break the bank and he's getting a bridge deal), get a goaltender (there's no way they go with a Stolarz/Neuvirth tandem) and at least one defenseman to help round out the blueline (I'm still thinking that they offer up a Cousins/Leier/Laughton type prospect to Las Vegas to take on the contract of MacDonald). Even with Lindblom coming onboard, there's still money left over. The Flyers are in good financially this off season.

Yeah, it's not the first time I've screwed this up.  I was using NHLNumbers.com, but I was using next year's salary rather than cap number.   I haven't used capfriendly before, but I think that's a little easier to read.

45 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Just asking:   Did you deliberately omit Morin or was it an oversight?

I just picked two prospect D. No particular reasoning, just needed numbers. Morin over Myers only decreases available cap by 200k, so it works fine for illustrative purposes. 

So, that should be enough to get Gostisbehere signed (contrary to what some think, he's not going to break the bank and he's getting a bridge deal), get a goaltender (there's no way they go with a Stolarz/Neuvirth tandem) and at least one defenseman to help round out the blueline

It's really not. The numbers I put up above are from capfriendly, and assume that Raffl is taken. Filling out the roster with sub-1 million contracts (Lindblom, Hischier/Patrick [even if th #2 pick is returned to juniors, you'll need a similar salary], Myers, Hagg, Weal, Vecchione) with the exception of  Stolarz and Ghost gets you to 3.7 million under a 73 million dollar cap. Even if Ghost comes in at 4 or less, you're still not looking at a ton. You can go goalie if you drop Stolarz, giving you 5 to 6-ish million, or you can go D by keeping one of the prospects in the minors, but you're going to have to do more to accomplish both. You can nip around the edges some on the new contracts, but you're only going to be shaving a few hundred thousand towards the goal of spending right back up to the cap again.

(I'm still thinking that they offer up a Cousins/Leier/Laughton type prospect to Las Vegas to take on the contract of MacDonald).

Why would Las Vegas do this, when any one of those will likely be available for them to select anyway, without taking on MacDonald's cap hit? I think the only way that MacDonald is selected is if it's in return for a swap of first round picks.

Even with Lindblom coming onboard, there's still money left over. The Flyers are in good financially this off season.

Lindblom's salary will be a pittance as he'll be on an ELC and so at most he'll be about $925k. He's not really the issue, in fact, assuming he makes the team, he's beneficial from a cap standpoint. It's just the number of contracts the Flyers need to add to the roster (6-7), including Ghost's new contract.

I really don't think the Flyers should try to add anything in the way of contracts this offseason. They have some young guys who will make the team (I believe Lindblom, and 1-2 of the D prospects make it out of camp), and some other young guys already on the team who should only get low cost contracts. Next offseason, Read (3.6 million) and Filpulla (5 million) come off the books, and they're going to have even more young guys looking to make the jump, including Rubtsov, Vorobyov, this year's pick if he doesn't make the team out of camp, whichever of the D don't make it this year, etc... so any money you don't commit this year can get added to next year's, and you can actually look to make an impact signing then.

2 hours ago, AJgoal said:

It's really not. The numbers I put up above are from capfriendly, and assume that Raffl is taken. Filling out the roster with sub-1 million contracts (Lindblom, Hischier/Patrick [even if th #2 pick is returned to juniors, you'll need a similar salary], Myers, Hagg, Weal, Vecchione) with the exception of  Stolarz and Ghost gets you to 3.7 million under a 73 million dollar cap. Even if Ghost comes in at 4 or less, you're still not looking at a ton. You can go goalie if you drop Stolarz, giving you 5 to 6-ish million, or you can go D by keeping one of the prospects in the minors, but you're going to have to do more to accomplish both. You can nip around the edges some on the new contracts, but you're only going to be shaving a few hundred thousand towards the goal of spending right back up to the cap again.

Why would Las Vegas do this, when any one of those will likely be available for them to select anyway, without taking on MacDonald's cap hit? I think the only way that MacDonald is selected is if it's in return for a swap of first round picks.

Lindblom's salary will be a pittance as he'll be on an ELC and so at most he'll be about $925k. He's not really the issue, in fact, assuming he makes the team, he's beneficial from a cap standpoint. It's just the number of contracts the Flyers need to add to the roster (6-7), including Ghost's new contract.

I really don't think the Flyers should try to add anything in the way of contracts this offseason. They have some young guys who will make the team (I believe Lindblom, and 1-2 of the D prospects make it out of camp), and some other young guys already on the team who should only get low cost contracts. Next offseason, Read (3.6 million) and Filpulla (5 million) come off the books, and they're going to have even more young guys looking to make the jump, including Rubtsov, Vorobyov, this year's pick if he doesn't make the team out of camp, whichever of the D don't make it this year, etc... so any money you don't commit this year can get added to next year's, and you can actually look to make an impact signing then.

Post of the day!   Could not agree more

13 hours ago, murraycraven said:

whichever of the D don't make it this year,

And by then Ivan will be heading into his 3rd and last year of his entry contract and can be resigned during the year and we all know he is going to get top dollar and rightfully so.

Speaking of him what a snipe!!!

provysnipe1.gif

provysniperussia2.gif

I think he will do the opposite of Ghost next year. I think he'll be comfortable and have an even better year...i just feel it...this kid is going to get paid real soon!!!

Archived