SPLIT: Could Vegas Take MacDonald?

jammer2

21 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Wow, if only the Flyers had a plethora of picks to deal this year and a big fat salary they'd still like to unload...  hmmmm.

Here's a fantasy scenario along the same lines: Flyers trade MacDonald and a boat load of their picks to Chicago for Hjalmarsson.  Chicago trades half those picks to Vegas for Future Considerations which come in the form of Vegas drafting MacDonald from Chicago.  

And IF the Flyers were a really good team that thought being able to use another $5 million would maybe make them a contender trading a plethora of picks might make sense to get rid of McDud.

But they're not and it doesn't.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

And IF the Flyers were a really good team that thought being able to use another $5 million would maybe make them a contender trading a plethora of picks might make sense to get rid of McDud.

They are a far sight from needing to do that, but I appreciate the sentiment to want to anyway. :cheers:

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

A few points:

-Honestly, there's no UFA out there this year worth the effort that would make the difference even if the Flyers were on that bubble.

-If I were Hextall, unless some fluke that made  it was a McDavid or Matthews suddenly UFA, I probably wouldn't go for anyone this year anyway.  They simply have too many prospects (that could in face be REALLY GOOD) with too many question marks over their heads.  

After next season, there will not only be more roster room, but we'll likely have a better idea if and where guys like #2, Lindblom, Vecchione, Konecny, and Weal will fit in for the long term.  After next season, Filppula won't be a factor (5 million right there) Read Won't be a factor (3 million more) and a few more guys (Raffl, Weise, PEB) may prove to be utterly expendable/moveable (5million more right there).  

Additionally, the UFA market starts to look a little sweeter this time next year (one of my favorite ideas is signing Tavares and moving Giroux back to the wing).  

This time next year, we'll be talking about putting Rubstov, Sandstrom and Hart into the picture at camp as well.

Not that I don't expect them to be better this coming season, but as far as moves or signings go, it'll make more sense to make a splash next off season regardless of how they perform (I think they'll be closer to that bubble myself).

Some theories out there that the Flyers could trade MacDonald for Phaneuf.  Would enable Ott to protect Ceci and expose MacDonald.  Flyers get an upgrade on defense, although potentially a worse contract.  Maybe you could convince Ott to keep $1m of cap on Phaneuf.  That's intriguing to me.  Phaneuf is not a #1 pairing guy, but could be interesting on the second pairing with Sanheim or Myers at some point.  Could you imagine Phanuef, Gudas and Morin on defense?  Pretty nasty.

Btw Phaneuf has a modified-NTC.  Flyers might be on his "approved" teams list.

I don't see them buying out Read unless they need a little extra space to make a splash via free agency or trade (e.g., along the lines of Phaneuf).

Should be fun times on June 21.  We won't hear about any actual trades until then, apparently.

Phaneuf spends more time in the box than on the ice most seasons. I'm not sure I'd want any of that. 

Sure, I guess it's an upgrade over MacDonald, but that's setting the bar pretty low anyway. There are games where I'm pretty sure my neighbour's dog would be an upgrade over Macdonald. At least I can't walk into their yard without him barking or something.

23 hours ago, elmatus said:

There are games where I'm pretty sure my neighbour's dog would be an upgrade over Macdonald. At least I can't walk into their yard without him barking or something.

lol...that's great...

Archived