B. Schenn traded to Blues for J. Lehtera and a Conditional 1st in 2018

pilldoc

7 minutes ago, Leach27 said:

Thanks! How old are yours now?

I'm an old ****.   Mine are 22 and 18.   Both girls.  The 22 year old has moved out of state and the 18 year old is at college.   As much as the "I have to drive you where?" was sometimes annoying, I'd go back in a heartbeat (I'd go back in time. I couldn't begin to do it now).  

When the first was born I told myself, "Don't blink.  It's going to go really fast."    I honestly don't think I did (blink).  Went to nearly every soccer game, play, musical, dance recital, etc. and I think we created good memories.   But it still went by oh so fast.

I've told this story before on here, but what the hell:     When we were in Lamaze class for the first one (honestly, a tremendous waste of time) I met a couple where the father was a huge Pens fan and a secondary Rangers fan.   This was 1995, so both had won recent cups.  I think he was a bandwagoner.   Anyway, we became good friends and went to several games at various arenas.  Even went to a few of the Philly roller blade games (I forget their name and usual scores were 17-14 so it was really just a reason to go have some drinks and watch the cheerleaders).    My daughter went to her first hockey game (Hershey Bears) when she was six weeks old.  She liked the lights.

Anyway, his son was born about a month before my daughter.  For her  third birthday, we had a pretty big party and she'd gotten Fisher Price hockey sticks that came with both a puck and a ball.   The couple came to the party and brought their son and their younger daughter.    We were sitting on the porch and the kids were in the yard playing "hockey" (in the  grass with the ball).   She had winter gloves on (in August) because "you play hockey with gloves."   We weren't paying a lot of attention at that point and suddenly there was a huge scream.  We look over and the gloves are on the grass near the strewn sticks and she's beating the ever living hell out of his son!   We both ran down and got them separated.  Both are standing there wide-eyed.   His son because "what the hell just happened?"   My daughter, apparently, thought that was hockey.   I asked her, "what are you doing???"    She yells, "He slashed me!!!  What am I supposed to do?"    Both dads couldn't help but laugh.   In high school, she played soccer the same way.

• Replies 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I totally understand the lack of emotional investment.  I think it is a product of age/maturity.

My father-in-law was a rabid college hoops fan, had seats at Syracuse when he lived near there, big Carolina fan- with  respect for coach K... he doesn't watch anymore. At all, didn't see a minute of this year's tournament.  He just has interests that are more important. 

I spent this past year being the president of teen girl mojo's cheer team.  that sucked most of my free time (and goodwill). So I haven't watched any sports with any regularity. I find I don't miss it that much either.  I watch tgm do standing tucks, because it seems like a good place in the song on the radio for a standing tuck,  walk the mat on her hands and leap 3 feet in the air...she's a stud. I get my amazeballs fill watching her.

Plus the Eagles won, so now it's like I can't really hate any more...I'm not angry, it's weird, it's like all that sports hate has dissipated, I let people into traffic...I can't bring myself to be all jacked about a team that exceeded my expectations getting whipped by the defending champs.  It's like , well the Pens, they're good, and we'll get their soon.  I dunno.  

There seems to be so much more to get whipped into a frenzy about, sports is really like a luxury diversion.

I feel the same way.... The only thing I get worked up about is the stupidity of some of the lineup decisions.  In a few minutes I just say "meh" and move on.   I would love to see this team be a contender again but I feel like we are still stuck in neutral.   

Just think about this - if we did not get the 2nd overall pick (a gift) where would we be?   Yes, there are prospects but the hockey gods must have felt bad for us when we fell to #2.  Patrick is my silver lining through all of this... TK is as well but he is constantly benched late in the game b/c Hak has to overthink things.   

Honestly, it is really not worth getting overly emotional about these days.   I know people get pissed at Hak's lack of emotion but I find that Ronald is the same exact way when he speaks.   At least back in the day Snider was good for a soundbite when he was around.  Now, it is just more of the unemotional and boring tag lines that we hear in interviews...

5 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I totally understand the lack of emotional investment.  I think it is a product of age/maturity.

My father-in-law was a rabid college hoops fan, had seats at Syracuse when he lived near there, big Carolina fan- with  respect for coach K... he doesn't watch anymore. At all, didn't see a minute of this year's tournament.  He just has interests that are more important. 

I spent this past year being the president of teen girl mojo's cheer team.  that sucked most of my free time (and goodwill). So I haven't watched any sports with any regularity. I find I don't miss it that much either.  I watch tgm do standing tucks, because it seems like a good place in the song on the radio for a standing tuck,  walk the mat on her hands and leap 3 feet in the air...she's a stud. I get my amazeballs fill watching her.

Plus the Eagles won, so now it's like I can't really hate any more...I'm not angry, it's weird, it's like all that sports hate has dissipated, I let people into traffic...I can't bring myself to be all jacked about a team that exceeded my expectations getting whipped by the defending champs.  It's like , well the Pens, they're good, and we'll get their soon.  I dunno.  

There seems to be so much more to get whipped into a frenzy about, sports is really like a luxury diversion.

I think that pretty much sums it up nicely.   I watched a lot of Villanova in the tourney.  I  grew up on that campus (actually played peewee at Radnor Rink when the Flyers practiced there--that tells you my age).   So it was really cool.   But  I would have been okay the next day had they lost.     I would have been a bit depressed about the Eagles, but I actually went into each playoff game thinking they were going to lose, no matter how strongly @OccamsRazor told me I was wrong (that dude kept the faith every step of the way.  Glad he was right!).  So, I would have been okay if they lost.   @Leach27, it's Philly that has built in excuses, not just the Flyers.

But yeah, it's largely age/maturity.   I think perspective makes you realize there's simply more important things.  A couple years ago, we had a really horrible time with my eldest daughter.   It was a nightmare, and she's really lucky to be alive.  I haven't talked much about that and won't here, but several on here were aware.   I no longer sweat the sports thing.  I do, however, still sweat the imbeciles driving in front of and around me.  I doubt that will ever change.

1 minute ago, murraycraven said:

Now, it is just more of the unemotional and boring tag lines that we hear in interviews..

It's like they all went to the Mike Richards' school  of "it's just one game."

13 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

"Don't blink.  It's going to go really fast." 

It goes terribly fast... my son is graduating HS this year and all I can think is that it really feels like he was born yesterday.    My wife and I had him shortly out of college (a drunken graduation gift for me - LOL).   Ten years later we were surprised with another child who is now 8.  She is growing up way too fast...   

After he leaves for college I am now stuck with my wife and my daughter - outnumbered!

Well i cut my teeth in the Lindros era my early 20's and the game for the Flyers just isn't the same and i don't mean from a fighting stand point.

I mean a physical do everything you can to beat the other team mentality standpoint.

And those team from top to bottom were not the most skilled including the blueline and in goal but man there was always emotion and it got you sucked into the game and as the the lockout ended in the mid 2000's to me it never came close again...the only exception was the 2010 playoff run.

The Flyers are just devoid of emotion and heart and soul type guys i fell in love with playing the game.

It seems like there is more skill from top to bottom now but man the emotion on a nightly basis just isn't there.

Back in the 90's it seemed like they hated more to lose than to win!!!!!!

And now they just go through the motion always looking for someone else to provide the spark and save them instead of one of them trying to be that guy.

It is why i can quickly find something else to do...it use to not be like that i lived for the game.

Not sure if that makes sense or i explained myself right....but i tried.

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I'm an old ****.   Mine are 22 and 18.   Both girls.  The 22 year old has moved out of state and the 18 year old is at college.   As much as the "I have to drive you where?" was sometimes annoying, I'd go back in a heartbeat (I'd go back in time. I couldn't begin to do it now).  

When the first was born I told myself, "Don't blink.  It's going to go really fast."    I honestly don't think I did (blink).  Went to nearly every soccer game, play, musical, dance recital, etc. and I think we created good memories.   But it still went by oh so fast.

I've told this story before on here, but what the hell:     When we were in Lamaze class for the first one (honestly, a tremendous waste of time) I met a couple where the father was a huge Pens fan and a secondary Rangers fan.   This was 1995, so both had won recent cups.  I think he was a bandwagoner.   Anyway, we became good friends and went to several games at various arenas.  Even went to a few of the Philly roller blade games (I forget their name and usual scores were 17-14 so it was really just a reason to go have some drinks and watch the cheerleaders).    My daughter went to her first hockey game (Hershey Bears) when she was six weeks old.  She liked the lights.

Anyway, his son was born about a month before my daughter.  For her  third birthday, we had a pretty big party and she'd gotten Fisher Price hockey sticks that came with both a puck and a ball.   The couple came to the party and brought their son and their younger daughter.    We were sitting on the porch and the kids were in the yard playing "hockey" (in the  grass with the ball).   She had winter gloves on (in August) because "you play hockey with gloves."   We weren't paying a lot of attention at that point and suddenly there was a huge scream.  We look over and the gloves are on the grass near the strewn sticks and she's beating the ever living hell out of his son!   We both ran down and got them separated.  Both are standing there wide-eyed.   His son because "what the hell just happened?"   My daughter, apparently, thought that was hockey.   I asked her, "what are you doing???"    She yells, "He slashed me!!!  What am I supposed to do?"    Both dads couldn't help but laugh.   In high school, she played soccer the same way.

that's so cute. Sounds like she won't be pushed around. they thought hockey is only fightingn, thats the best part. My little nephew went to 1st game year, he might have been 6,  had the best saying ever "why dont those jerfferies have sticks"???? And everyone laughed :) 

On 4/19/2018 at 10:24 AM, Leach27 said:

"Schenn hasn't scored a playoff goal since 2012 and has five assists in his past 13 playoff games". so that means we can predict he won't score any more goals in the playoffs ever??

"Quite frankly, this team is not a Brayden Schenn away from beating Pittsburgh" - He definitely could have helped the team in the playoffs, as he does play with an edge. Possibly with schenn they wouldn't be playing the pens right now at all, would have finished higher in the standing with his 72 pts. 

Schenn was never a gamechanger of any kind in his time here. He was also very bad defensively. It's more likely we would have an extra couple goals against per game if he had any kind of prominent role in this series.

It's also worth noting he cooled off considerably in STL after an admittedly good first half. I expect the Blues came to realize a bit too late what we were saying all along: Brayden Schenn is not a top line player. The fact they set him as their defacto 1C for much of the year is a main reason why they're golfing right now.

We're not losing this series because of a lack of Brayden Schenn. We're losing because the Pens are the defending two time champs, and they know exactly what they need to do to win. We're losing due to taking way too many dumb penalties, and our goaltending is not exactly inspiring. Maybe most frustrating, we're losing because our coaching staff is getting out coached on a regular basis.

Finally, have you seen Morgan Frost lately?

Archived