Neuvirth

fan4ever

8 minutes ago, King Knut said:

...is incredibly short sighted and why we end up with the team you deserve and n T throne I do. 

No. It's not.

Stop living so scared.

Injuries are part of the game.

Players don't live in fear.

Neither should you.

Not even sure what the last part of the sentence is saying or means....

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are 4 and only one can come up and there are absolutely zero indications he's Matt Murray. 

2 hours ago, icehole said:

If he's overworked to the point where he gets injured, the trainers have to figure out a recovery period for him between games.  I'm not a doctor so I don't know.  If I were the coach though, I would want him to play up to 3 out of 4 games...basically 3 games every 10 days.

If you want him to get 35 games this season, the problem is the flyers won't get 57 games against weaker opponents.  Just think of 57 games of Elliot. :dizzysmiley-1:

OR's points made me think of a few things.  If your goal is to win as many games as possible, you have to play your best players without worrying about injury.

If we're honest with ourselves, the goalie to get the flyers to championship level isn't on the team yet.  You see it all the time.  The number 1 goes down with a LTI.  They play the backup and bring up a young prospect to back up (if the prospect isn't the backup already...which I wish the flyers would've done by now).  If the young kid is worth anything, they'll sprinkle him into a few games.  He plays well enough to get more games until the team pencils him in to be the #1 for the future.

How old and experienced are the flyers goalie prospects?  People are always hesitant to bring up young prospects because they aren't mentally mature, their bodies aren't mature, they need to improve on their skating or stick handling.  To me, a good goalie either has it or he doesn't.  I'm sure there are a few things they have to work on and learn to play in the NHL, but the most important things like reaction time, size, flexibility, and vision should already be there in the early 20s...correct?

So should we really be scared about Neuvy going down?  I might be wrong, but I'm not worried about bringing up 1 of the 3 goalies (not sure who is eligible to join the team) I've been hearing so much about.

Its a combination. Overworking anyone eventually leads muscles and tendons to weaken.  Some guys get there more easily than others which is I believe the assumption with Neuvirth.  7 out of 8 years (an entire career for some guys) betrays a consistency beyond freak accidents. 

3 of 4 games is too much and frankly Hextall has already said as much about Neuvirth and I believe their usage of him thus far suggests they're on my side.  

I say 2 of 5 games until they get into the divisional battle stretch the. Maybe 3 of 5.

57 games of weaker opponents is relative.  I'm saying the 57 weakest opponents.Or least relevant (Vancouver, wnpg, etc).  I team is "weak" in this league just yet.  

The goal shouldnt be to be to win as many games as possible, the goal should be to get into the playoffs.  You need to beat the division more than ou need to beat the west.  Beating both is optimal. But if you have to lose a few, you'd rather it be in the west right?  

You never try to lose a game, that's idiotic, but if you HAVE to play a weaker goalie 57 games or so, then use those starts strategically against teams that goalie had a better chance of beating.  

Lyon most likely isn't ready to be a starter in the NHL.  The others are ineligible, hurt, orbhave friggin'  mono or all of the above. 

Lyon could be a stop gap backup but I don't think anyone suspects he'll be Matt Murray. 

And lastly the thing about Elliott:  no one can point to a game he lost us.  When they lost in games he was soft, the whole team was soft.  

He beat the leafs. He beat the oilers.  He beat the sharks. 

He he can beat good teams if the flyers play well.  There's no reason to think starting him against weaker/non division teams will equal more losses.  NONE. 

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

No. It's not.

Stop living so scared.

Injuries are part of the game.

Players don't live in fear.

Neither should you.

Not even sure what the last part of the sentence is saying or means....

I'm not living scared, I'm being smart which is something g this team hasn't done much of for 40 plus years.  

...It means autocorrect while I'm trying to clean my basement. 

6 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I'm not living scared, I'm being smart which is something g this team hasn't done much of for 40 plus years.  

...It means autocorrect while I'm trying to clean my basement. 

Yo he has played a grand total of 5 damn games.

He is 2-3. And two of his losses he got zero goals.

He is ok. He is playing damn good.

Like i said you're looking to far head and worry about crossing a bridge before you even get to.

If that isn't scared i don't know what is.

You worry about playing a player for might could happen.

That is scared. No other way to label it.

You call it smart. I call it scared.

You crawl out your fox hole because you are scared what MIGHT happen...deal lawd....

SMFH

I'm done. I've made my point spoke my .02 cents. Carry on.

I really don't care who they play. Fact is, as good as Neuvirth is, he's injury prone and is always injured at critical junctures in the season. As for Elliott, he's a notorious slow starter, just like the previous starter here. Once late November/early December rolls around, Elliott usually catches fire and plays lights out. He did it in St Louis, he did it in Calgary and he's doing it in Philadelphia. 

Honestly, I really hope Hextall cuts bait on both guys and in mid season, he uses Lyon add the starter going forward. The good news is that there are a number of guys in the pipeline and I'm hopeful that one of them steps up. 

Neuvirth has been outplaying a woefully underwhelming Elliott. That doesn't mean he's the second coming of Hasek. It means he's currently playing better than the other option on the team. Truth is he's never been a consistently elite goalie in his career, and I have strong doubts he will suddenly become one in 2017-18.

He can be very good, and he can be very bad. If the card flops and he starts getting more starts, I can guarantee you he will start having weaker games. When that happens, you go back to Elliott. 

Again, this isn't like having Jonathan Quick and Jacob Markstrom, where you know for a fact one is an amazing goalie and the other is probably just a back up. When you have an Elliott and a Neuvirth, what you have is a tandem setup at best. Play the hot hand and swap accordingly.

Both of these goalies are used to tandem setups. They're not a pair of Masons who will pout to the media when they don't get enough attention. Gotta play the hand you're dealt.

16 minutes ago, elmatus said:

Neuvirth has been outplaying a woefully underwhelming Elliott. That doesn't mean he's the second coming of Hasek. It means he's currently playing better than the other option on the team. Truth is he's never been a consistently elite goalie in his career, and I have strong doubts he will suddenly become one in 2017-18.

He can be very good, and he can be very bad. If the card flops and he starts getting more starts, I can guarantee you he will start having weaker games. When that happens, you go back to Elliott. 

Again, this isn't like having Jonathan Quick and Jacob Markstrom, where you know for a fact one is an amazing goalie and the other is probably just a back up. When you have an Elliott and a Neuvirth, what you have is a tandem setup at best. Play the hot hand and swap accordingly.

Both of these goalies are used to tandem setups. They're not a pair of Masons who will pout to the media when they don't get enough attention. Gotta play the hand you're dealt.

None of that matters really you play who is playing well giving the team a chance to win.

I don't care if it's Michael F**king Leighton if he is playing good and makes the routine saves and every now and again making the ones maybe he shouldn't it is all you can ask.

He is giving his team confidence and a feeling he is going to try and cover the 5 guy's in front of him playing a chance and knowing that every mistake they make (because let's be honest with the youth they have there will be some) that he is going to stop it from ending up in the net.

Sure the net has two guys each with their own set of issues but that is when it is on the coach to know who/when/where to use each one.

And from what i have seen in the games i have watched it seems like Hak is forcing Elliot in there instead of him playing damn well and earning it.

To me Neuvy has played better (not counting last night because i didn't see it) and should have up until this point played more games.

Which hasn't happened.

Just my opinion and noone here has to like it or even agree with it.

Plan and simple i want them to win.

I want the playoffs.

I don't care about another high pick.

I want something to cheer for come May.

I'm tired of not having a dog in the hunt.

On 11/4/2017 at 9:57 AM, OccamsRazor said:

No.

He is playing well and shows no signs of fatigue or injury

I know this was from Saturday, but Meltzer reporting that Neuvirth not at practice today.

Good time to have some time off before the next game, no?

I don't like Elliott even a little bit, but I can see the upside of using the goalies as Knut says. If you run Neuvirth out there "to get points" and he gets injured (as he has, pretty much, for each of the past six seasons), then you're stuck with Elliott as your main guy (presuming the organization continues their use of the Promising Young Goalie Prospects).

9 minutes ago, radoran said:

I know this was from Saturday, but Meltzer reporting that Neuvirth not at practice today.

Good time to have some time off before the next game, no?

I don't like Elliott even a little bit, but I can see the upside of using the goalies as Knut says. If you run Neuvirth out there "to get points" and he gets injured (as he has, pretty much, for each of the past six seasons), then you're stuck with Elliott as your main guy (presuming the organization continues their use of the Promising Young Goalie Prospects).

Yes it would be a good time to rest.

And that is my point it on the coach to recognize when he needs a break and a lot of time it can show signs in practice doesn't have to be a game.

The key is recognize it and address it.

I too am not thrill with Elliot he has a weak glove hand and horrible rebound control. All the other teams need to do is elevate their shot. He also struggles even with the lightest of traffic in front of him.

If Neuvy gets hurt they are f**ked.

So take care of him as much as you can.

I hope they have some bubble wrap on hand. :hehe:

Archived