Who should replace Hakstol?

King Knut

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I'm not advocating for him, but Coach Q will very likely be available.  Is he the right guy to start with such a young team?  I don't know, actually.  Hard to argue with his track record, but does it apply to the Flyers situation?  Hard to say.  I'd entertain any answer on that one.

Todd McLellan will likely be available.  But if he can't make it work with what he has on the Oilers (and I think he was ultimately a failure in San Jose), I have no idea what he's going to be able to do in Philly.   Sometimes it's style versus team construction, so maybe.   I'm skeptical.

Guy Boucher will likely be available.  Talk about frying pan into fire.  If you can figure out what the hell he's doing in Ottawa, you're a smarter guy than I.  I really think 90% of the problem in Ottawa is the coach.

Jeff Blashill will be available.  He may actually be an option.  I think the team is really poorly constructed in Detroit.  On the other hand, most of his young kids have really regressed under him, so that's a danger.

Barry Trotz.   The Caps would have to run out of patience, but it's always possible.  Not sure which way to argue on that, but I'd consider this one at least.   Something is wrong when you can't win with that cast, but I'm willing to wager the thing that's wrong is Ovechkin.

Would Quenville be an option ?

for real ?

is his contract up in Chicago ? why wouldn't they resign him? 

I have always thought he was a good coach, I hope if he does wind up behind the Flyer bench he's into it. 

My fear with a guy  like Q who has won and been awesome is he turns Phil Jackson with the Knicks and naps in his office in between cashing the checks.

26 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Would Quenville be an option ?

for real ?

is his contract up in Chicago ? why wouldn't they resign him? 

I don't know.  Mostly conjecture on my part.   But there were rumblings because of early playoff exits and they look horrible this year (not remotely his fault, IMO), so...

53 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I don't know.  Mostly conjecture on my part.   But there were rumblings because of early playoff exits and they look horrible this year (not remotely his fault, IMO), so...

How about his assistant Dineen?

I'd consider him maybe he has learned alot since being the HC for the Panthers?

Just throwing his name out there.

45 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

How about his assistant Dineen?

I'd consider him maybe he has learned alot since being the HC for the Panthers?

Just throwing his name out there.

I'd be okay with that, except that it would most likely have to wait until after the season since he's currently employed. 

Here's the thing:  IF (admittedly big "if") I'm guessing right on Coach Q, then it's possible Dineen is their heir-apparent.  I'm not sure they'll want to give permission to talk to him even after the season--and definitely not during.  At least not without a draft pick going that way or something.

20 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I'd be okay with that, except that it would most likely have to wait until after the season since he's currently employed. 

Here's the thing:  IF (admittedly big "if") I'm guessing right on Coach Q, then it's possible Dineen is their heir-apparent.  I'm not sure they'll want to give permission to talk to him even after the season--and definitely not during.  At least not without a draft pick going that way or something.

I just can't see them firing coach Q who has won them 3 Cups.

He doesn't manage the cap.

Hard to blame them for letting guys go because they are tight on money to spread around.

However Sutter won 2 Cups in LA and they sent him packing.

However i would be fine riding out the season and if they were to make a change then yeah go hire Dineen.

But my gut tells me Ron signed Hak to a 5 year deal to lure him away and it tells me he will at least give him till mid way of his year of the deal.

Mostly for no other reason Ron doesn't want to admit he f**ked up.

And if he cans him, weather he were to ever admit it his firing would be all the same as admitting it.

37 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

But my gut tells me Ron signed Hak to a 5 year deal to lure him away and it tells me he will at least give him till mid way of his year of the deal.

Mostly for no other reason Ron doesn't want to admit he f**ked up.

And if he cans him, weather he were to ever admit it his firing would be all the same as admitting it.

What person wants to admit they ****ed up ?

I think there is a line the team has to cross for Hextall to fire his guy, but I'll bet when Hakstol crosses it, he's done.

I think we're close to that point.

18 minutes ago, Samifan said:

Well looks like Hexy just shut down this thread.

I’m glad Hextall did that. Smart to take the distraction away, and be like “he’s staying so deal with it.” 

Whether it’s the right move, time will tell. But at least he’s standing firm on his beliefs. 

Yes, I know I'm a broken record, but during the Preds Bruins game last night, Nashville had a 3 goal lead that very quickly became a 1 goal lead in the third.

CUE THE LAVIOLETTE TIMEOUT.

Not only does the team calm down, they come back and score a goal to put the game back out of reach.

Perfection.

After the game, the first star was talking about how they just took the :30 to calm down, rebuild their confidence and regain some focus.  

Thanks to NHL network for showing all this in the highlights!

Hakstol NEEDS HELP!!!!!

5 hours ago, King Knut said:

Nice.  Way to Jinx it.  

Well if you paid attention i have been go Eagles....all season so what happen the previous 9 games??? Don't blame it on me blame the coach and Wentz.

They picked a bad time to have one of their worse games of the year. 

But i will say now i think it is a good thing.

They have got full of themselves so they needed to be b!tched slapped before the end of the year so they are focused because come playoff time doesn't matter what you did in the regular season you lose YOU LOSE YOU GO HOME!

And let's be honest not sure if it is healthy to go15-1.

If you remember the last two teams to do that didn't win it all. So a dose of reality is a good thing sometimes.

Just to look at the last 7 Super Bowl winners:

2016 – NE – 14-2
2015 – DEN – 12-4
2014 – NE – 12-4
2013 – SEA – 13-3
2012 – BAL – 10-6
2011 – NYG – 9-7
2010 – GB – 10-6

So BIG game sunday versus Rams!!!

Go Eagles!!!!!

52 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well if you paid attention i have been go Eagles....all season so what happen the previous 9 games??? Don't blame it on me blame the coach and Wentz.

They picked a bad time to have one of their worse games of the year. 

But i will say now i think it is a good thing.

They have got full of themselves so they needed to be b!tched slapped before the end of the year so they are focused because come playoff time doesn't matter what you did in the regular season you lose YOU LOSE YOU GO HOME!

And let's be honest not sure if it is healthy to go15-1.

If you remember the last two teams to do that didn't win it all. So a dose of reality is a good thing sometimes.

Just to look at the last 7 Super Bowl winners:

2016 – NE – 14-2
2015 – DEN – 12-4
2014 – NE – 12-4
2013 – SEA – 13-3
2012 – BAL – 10-6
2011 – NYG – 9-7
2010 – GB – 10-6

So BIG game sunday versus Rams!!!

Go Eagles!!!!!

I was just joking :)

And I totally agree, I think it is a good thing.  If they'd just kept rolling on into the playoffs without so much as a challenge, I fear they'd crumble under the first adversity they'd face there.

This was a good reminder to keep their heads together and focused.  If you expect an easy win, you're probably going to lose.  Better to have it happen now than in week one of the playoffs.  

I also loved the meme going around that losing to the Seahawks helps screw the Cowboys out of the wild card.  

Elliotte Friedman had this to say about Hakstol / Hextall.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-erik-karlsson-trade-rumours-ottawa-senators/

23. You’re always curious to learn how a new GM will react to a difficult situation, but I really liked the way both Ron Hextall (and Dave Hakstol) handled the “Fire Hakstol” chants and pressure in Philadelphia.

That organization has a historically short leash for coaches, but Hextall made it clear he wants to change that. He showed up in the dressing room to defend his coach, and, days later, passionately informed the media Hakstol wasn’t going anywhere. (The only thing missing from that burst was Hextall chopping down reporters with a goalie stick.)

Hakstol said he knows what he signed up for. The Flyers don’t admit it, but privately, word is they feel one year away from a true assessment of how good they are. Second, Hextall worked hard to convince Hakstol to leave North Dakota three summers ago, luring him to Pennsylvania with what is believed to be a six-year contract. He’s invested in his coach.

1 minute ago, brelic said:

Elliotte Friedman had this to say about Hakstol / Hextall.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-erik-karlsson-trade-rumours-ottawa-senators/

Hey he has turned Raffl into a sniper it seems. So he has that going for him!!!

• 4 weeks later...

One of my biggest issues with the HC is i just don't see any growth with this team.

I know he has already been on the chopping block around here by many i get it.

Flyer fans are not known for patience. 

But supposedly Hak's claim to fame is he "is good with the kids/youth...."

...ok when are we going to see some of this??? I mean aren't all college coaches as well as junior coaches "good with the kids"???

Since it is all they coach??

I just want to see some results....with the kids....instead of scratching Leier over pylon Lehtera coach Leier up. He has some decent tools to work with.

Instead of scratching Sanheim scratch Mcdud.....Sanheim you should be able to coach up he too has a lot to work with.

But he hasn't shown me he can. I am soon to call and reserve myself a spot on the fire Hak band wagon.....real soon.

I want to see some of these kids make some progress.

On 1/3/2018 at 6:15 AM, OccamsRazor said:

One of my biggest issues with the HC is i just don't see any growth with this team.

I know he has already been on the chopping block around here by many i get it.

Flyer fans are not known for patience. 

But supposedly Hak's claim to fame is he "is good with the kids/youth...."

...ok when are we going to see some of this??? I mean aren't all college coaches as well as junior coaches "good with the kids"???

Since it is all they coach??

I just want to see some results....with the kids....instead of scratching Leier over pylon Lehtera coach Leier up. He has some decent tools to work with.

Instead of scratching Sanheim scratch Mcdud.....Sanheim you should be able to coach up he too has a lot to work with.

But he hasn't shown me he can. I am soon to call and reserve myself a spot on the fire Hak band wagon.....real soon.

I want to see some of these kids make some progress.

I think the idea with Hakstol is that so many of the "kind of player you'd want" came into the NHL through his system at ND.  To be fair, he didn't really have any youth his first year and if we truly believe that he makes players out of boys, then we have to be fair and acknowledge that he gets 3-4 years with these guys in college.  

He's had a year and a half with Provo and Konex... Essentially two years with Ghost and half a year with Hagg, Sanheim and Patrick.

Second if you look at the kids that have gone on to great things after playing for him, they are all successful for coming at the game fundamentally sound before they utilize their skills.    He doesn't generate flashy players.  Oshie could have been all flash and finally scored a ton of goals when playing with two of the leagues best forwards, but that's not what he's an elite NHL player.  Same with Toews and Parise.  

I have huge problems with Hakstol and after giving him the benefit of the doubt for so long because I liked the way the system worked when it worked, his player development just isn't a problem I'm going to call him out on... yet.

If anything, I'm afraid he's over-developing these kids into better players.  Ghost is a much better all around player than he was when he broke onto the team...  I'm not entirely sure that was the best move for him.   Seeing the same with Sanheim.  

He's really doing a good job of making them better all around players... but is it at the cost of taking away what makes them so dynamic and individually special?  and will that do more to hurt the team's chances in the long run?  

I can't say.  I know it was more fun Ghost's first season.  That's for sure.  

Archived