Lindblom recalled, Stolarz activated from IR

AJgoal

8 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I think this kid is here to stay. All he needs to do is continue to play like he has and the points will come.

High praise. Wish they would give him a better number i'm not fond on the #54.

I might go as far as to suggest Sam Morin could fall into this category as well.  

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, King Knut said:

I might go as far as to suggest Sam Morin could fall into this category as well.  

Too bad Morin is also too broken to play in the AHL...

It will make him cheaper to sign, but it sucks that he's basically lost a year (much like Ghost did)

1 minute ago, AJgoal said:

It will make him cheaper to sign, but it sucks that he's basically lost a year (much like Ghost did)

I does suck but i ain't mad at the kid he wanted to be in Philly i think it will motivate him for next year.

Flyers will reap the rewards for that i think. He won't be waiver exempt so i expect him and Sanheim on the blueline next year.

Those two will be an improvement and Sam will make the Flyers harder to play against.

I can see him on the bottom pair with Gudas next year.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

I does suck but i ain't mad at the kid he wanted to be in Philly i think it will motivate him for next year.

I'm not mad at him either. Guy got hurt, it's hockey, it happens.

Flyers will reap the rewards for that i think. He won't be waiver exempt so i expect him and Sanheim on the blueline next year.

They probably will have to move someone this offseason. I don't think Hextall will want a repeat of this year, with Sanheim/Morin spending significant time in the press box. Provorov, Ghost, Gudas, MacDonald, Hagg, Morin, Sanheim. I know who I would sit night in, night out, but we all know Hakstol won't. Unfortunately, I think Gudas would be the one to move.

Those two will be an improvement and Sam will make the Flyers harder to play against.

I can see him on the bottom pair with Gudas next year.

I wouldn't do that, they'll have a hard time moving the puck out of the zone. I'd re-connect Sanheim and Gudas, they actually played well off of each other. Morin-Ghost, Hagg Provorov? I don't know. Too many moving parts yet.

26 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

They probably will have to move someone this offseason. I don't think Hextall will want a repeat of this year, with Sanheim/Morin spending significant time in the press box. Provorov, Ghost, Gudas, MacDonald, Hagg, Morin, Sanheim. I know who I would sit night in, night out, but we all know Hakstol won't. Unfortunately, I think Gudas would be the one to move.

Exactly. If the Flyers want both Morin and Sanheim in the lineup next year, they need to make a trade. If I had to guess right now, they'll move Gudas and resign Manning. I used to think they would let Manning walk, but not so sure now. He'll be the 6th/7th next year, filling in for injuries or when the rookies struggle.

2 hours ago, AJgoal said:

They probably will have to move someone this offseason.

Will they?

Provorov, Ghost, Gudas, MacDonald, Hagg, Morin, Sanheim.

To ice this group just don't resign Manning. Then if need be you can call up Myers or Friedman if someone goes down.

I am tired of Manning time to move on from him Gudas would be a good soldier i think as a 7th.

I would scratch Mcdud but he has those incriminating pictures of Hak so that ain't happening.

If you get rid of Gudas then the Flyers would have zero righties in the lineup.

I wouldn't do that, they'll have a hard time moving the puck out of the zone

I don't think they would Morin is pretty solid with his pass up ice getting the puck out the zone.

However i wouldn't be so quick to break Ivan and Ghost up.

If not with Gudas then Morin with Hagg would be worth a try...Hagg has experience playing the right side.

Well this is direction i would go.

1 hour ago, brelic said:

If I had to guess right now, they'll move Gudas and resign Manning.

Dear God i hope not.

I don't think they will have to move anyone. Ron always likes having a 7th type around he has every year he has been here he prefers the kids force him to trade someone....see Schultz Flyer career.

They will be fine cap wise i think he keeps Provorov, Ghost, Gudas, MacDonald, Hagg, Morin, Sanheim and his blueline corp heading into next year. Now i'm not saying they finish the year still on the Flyers all of them.

Maybe if Myers plays well he forces them to trade Gudas.

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Dear God i hope not.

I don't think they will have to move anyone. Ron always likes having a 7th type around he has every year he has been here he prefers the kids force him to trade someone....see Schultz Flyer career.

They will be fine cap wise i think he keeps Provorov, Ghost, Gudas, MacDonald, Hagg, Morin, Sanheim and his blueline corp heading into next year. Now i'm not saying they finish the year still on the Flyers all of them.

Who's the 7th in that case? I feel like it won't be Gudas or MacDonald. Sanheim has half a season NHL experience, so I think Hextall would be comfortable with him as a regular, but not so sure on Morin. He hasn't proven anything, has been injured all year, and it would be unusual for Hextall to gift him a spot. 

That's why I wonder if Manning is the better choice as a 7th, since he's always been an in and out of the lineup guy.

3 minutes ago, brelic said:

Who's the 7th in that case?

In my world....mine i say...not Hak or Ron's....i would put Mcdud cooking up some popcorn.

Ivan/Ghost

Morin/Hagg

Sanheim/Gudas

Mcdud

I would want at least one righty in the lineup.

I think you give Gudas a steady partner like Sanheim i think he could return to the numbers he put up last year.

6 goals 17 assist 23 points +8 and Gudas did this damage 5 on 5!

Mcdud ain't going to put on those type of numbers...you would have to go back to his days on the Isle 13-14 when he put up 24 points and was playing big minutes on their PP and score half his 4 goals on the PP.

3 hours ago, AJgoal said:

Brandon Manning's loving it.

It' was an important lesson for Sam to learn and hopefully it's learned. It's important to share your injuries with your trainer and coaches, regardless of how badly you want to play.   You don't want a player to have to learn that lesson in OT of game 6 of the Stanley Cup finals.  Because lemme tell ya... that's a crappy time to learn that lesson.  

27 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Dear God i hope not.

Yes, with any luck MacDonald will be our 7th man by Christmas.  

I really assume that Sanheim has a spot that is his to lose next october.  

Morin needs to be healthy and he really needs to be playing in the NHL.  

His size is his gimmick and that's whatever.  The reality is the guy just plays well at the NHL level.  He's exactly what they need on the PK and his play driving in limited exposure is head turning.  If they trade him or lose him somehow, he will be very good for whatever team finally gives him (the no brainer of) a shot he deserves.

I'm actually fine resigning Manning, specifically to play as the 8th man and essentially in the AHL (especially as they've lost Alt).

I'm really  a bit surprised Ron didn't trade him.  He's likely to fetch himself at least 2.5 million in UFA, so I doubt we'll keep him.    I guess the mojo of the 28-8-4 or whatever it is was too much to mess with despite Manning's ability to jeopardize any game at any time.

If Hexy were to resign him, it should be predominantly for depth and as a phantom so that if a healthy Morin or Sanheim or even Myers (who I understand has been tearing it up with Sanheim) loses a single minute of playing time to him, I will be frustrated.  

20 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

In my world....mine i say...not Hak or Ron's....i would put Mcdud cooking up some popcorn.

Ivan/Ghost

Morin/Hagg

Sanheim/Gudas

Mcdud

I would want at least one righty in the lineup.

I think you give Gudas a steady partner like Sanheim i think he could return to the numbers he put up last year.

6 goals 17 assist 23 points +8 and Gudas did this damage 5 on 5!

Mcdud ain't going to put on those type of numbers...you would have to go back to his days on the Isle 13-14 when he put up 24 points and was playing big minutes on their PP and score half his 4 goals on the PP.

My fear for Gudas is that the drop off in his game has partially to do with manning but probably more to do with having to play it safe thanks to the suspensions.  The hatchet chops to the heads are one thing... but he was getting suspended for clean hip checks and stuff way before that and while he's been doing a good job NOT getting suspended for that stuff, it's taken the edge off his game and make him less effective.  

Sanheim could help his offensive numbers, but even as it is the dude takes as many shots as anyone on the team.  I'm more concerned about his effectiveness in shutting down plays and getting the puck moving the other way.  

5 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I'm really  a bit surprised Ron didn't trade him.  He's likely to fetch himself at least 2.5 million in UFA, so I doubt we'll keep him.    I guess the mojo of the 28-8-4 or whatever it is was too much to mess with despite Manning's ability to jeopardize any game at any time.

I don't know that he would have fetched much in a trade anyway, and there's always the period leading to the draft to offload him for a 6th or 7th round pick or whatever he'd actually get. I think Hex is cautiously interested in seeing if this team can sustain their current pace into the playoffs, and I think he's wary of shaking things up too much because of that. He didn't mortgage the farm on some foolish push, but he didn't make all the moves he could have either, if the intent was to just build for next season.

Mrazek makes sense in this context. If you don't think you have any chance at making noise in the playoffs, I'm not sure you bother signing a guy like Mrazek. He could have easily just plucked a lesser goalie of waivers or found one elsewhere if only to play out the season. I think he got Mrazek for the exact reasons he stated in his presser: He feels this team has earned a chance to see what they can do.

I think not moving Manning or Gudas for a relatively weak return and then having to bring up someone random or find another Oduya type to fill the spot makes sense in this context. Sure, he likely won't be around, and yeah there's a decent chance we may not get anything if he just walks and signs elsewhere. But realistically, he wasn't going to get us very much anyway. Hex figures it's worth the possible loss to keep this group together imo.

Absolutely worst case scenario he is still waiver exempt so if he needed to be sent down to give the Flyer's wiggle room roster wise it could be done.

7 minutes ago, King Knut said:

His size is his gimmick and that's whatever. 

Sure that and his mobility for a hunking ass like him who will play the body and make guys pay at the top of the crease and put an end to some of the liberties taken after the whistle around the goal mouth.

He will be a sight for sore eyes i think.

He just needs to get healthy, he had been until this year played every game of his AHL career except for the games he was suspended for (2) i am confident he will return to form and help this team next year.

10 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I'm actually fine resigning Manning, specifically to play as the 8th man and essentially in the AHL (especially as they've lost Alt).

I'm not he will require waivers and i don't want him around at all because we know Hak will insert him instead of a kid as soon as one of them makes the slightest mistake...nope buh bye i wish him well.

4 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Yes, with any luck MacDonald will be our 7th man by Christmas.  

Morin needs to be healthy and he really needs to be playing in the NHL.  

His size is his gimmick and that's whatever.  The reality is the guy just plays well at the NHL level.  He's exactly what they need on the PK and his play driving in limited exposure is head turning.  If they trade him or lose him somehow, he will be very good for whatever team finally gives him (the no brainer of) a shot he deserves.

If Hexy were to resign him, it should be predominantly for depth and as a phantom so that if a healthy Morin or Sanheim or even Myers (who I understand has been tearing it up with Sanheim) loses a single minute of playing time to him, I will be frustrated.  

Nashville, who people point to as having an amazing defense, took time.

Subban became an NHL regular when he was 22-23

Josi became an NHL regular when he was 21-22

Ekholm when he was 23-24

Ellis when he was 23 (in his two previous years, he split his time almost equally between NHL and AHL)

I get that we all want to see these kids, but it's not as if it's some great injustice being perpetrated by the Iron Fisted Hextall. 

So, Provorov made it as a 19 year old.

Ghost at 22-23

Hagg at 22-23

Sanheim likely at 22-23 (splitting his time between NHL and AHL in his 21-22 year like Ellis)

Morin likely at 23

Seems on schedule in a sense.

My fear for Gudas is that the drop off in his game has partially to do with manning but probably more to do with having to play it safe thanks to the suspensions.  The hatchet chops to the heads are one thing... but he was getting suspended for clean hip checks and stuff way before that and while he's been doing a good job NOT getting suspended for that stuff, it's taken the edge off his game and make him less effective

Yeah you could be right....however i give him the benefit of the doubt and by next year Sanheim will have mature a lot i think and the game will have slowed for him greatly and we will see him blossom and for all we know force his way up the lineup. We'll see.

Just now, brelic said:

Not only does it seem on schedule, it seems very exciting to me. Nashville is a good comparison, and they have the best defensive group in the league. The fact we can compare their current d-corp with the potential d-corp we may have coming in starting next year is something to be celebrated.

15 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I don't know that he would have fetched much in a trade anyway, and there's always the period leading to the draft to offload him for a 6th or 7th round pick or whatever he'd actually get. I think Hex is cautiously interested in seeing if this team can sustain their current pace into the playoffs, and I think he's wary of shaking things up too much because of that. He didn't mortgage the farm on some foolish push, but he didn't make all the moves he could have either, if the intent was to just build for next season.

Mrazek makes sense in this context. If you don't think you have any chance at making noise in the playoffs, I'm not sure you bother signing a guy like Mrazek. He could have easily just plucked a lesser goalie of waivers or found one elsewhere if only to play out the season. I think he got Mrazek for the exact reasons he stated in his presser: He feels this team has earned a chance to see what they can do.

I think not moving Manning or Gudas for a relatively weak return and then having to bring up someone random or find another Oduya type to fill the spot makes sense in this context. Sure, he likely won't be around, and yeah there's a decent chance we may not get anything if he just walks and signs elsewhere. But realistically, he wasn't going to get us very much anyway. Hex figures it's worth the possible loss to keep this group together imo.

Oh I agree.  But it seemed like HExtall's MO to get a 4th or 5th rounder rather than lose a guy for nothing.

ANd like I said, as they are literally the best team in the NHL since their losing streak ended, I can understand why he's not messing with things too much... even though Manning is clearly one of the weakest links and the Gudas Manning pairing is definitely causing the most agita.  

Agreed on the similar reasoning for Mrazek.  Hextall seems almost frustrated they're playing this good this soon and that he even has to worry about a playoff run yet.  ha ha.  that was half a joke.  

2 minutes ago, brelic said:

Bingo and that is my model.

And they didn't keep all the guys the drafted they moved some for pieces they needed.

Like they just moved Girard that helped them land Kyle Turris.

And they still have Dante Fabbro from the same draft.

They drafted Seth Jones and turned him into Ryan Johansen.

But they drafted Ryan Ellis, Mattias Ekholm in 09!

Roman Josi in 08. Johnathan Blum in 07. 

Ryan Parent and Cody Franson in 05. 

Ryan Suter and Shea Weber (traded for PK Subban) and Kevin Klein (traded for Del Zotto) in 03.

Dan Hamhuis in 01.

That is a rich draft history if i ever saw one. Sure not all worked out but most did.

Key point half the Preds stud Dline was drafted Josi, Ellis and Ekholm...that is a good thing.

I hope the Flyers get lucky like that.

18 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

He will be a sight for sore eyes i think.

Right?  Some folks are talking about him like the team has moved on from him.  I really got the impression that Hextall was pretty upset that he couldn't call this kid up when Radko got suspended.  I think Hextall thought that was it.  Sam's coming up and someone's losing a roster spot.  

Sam's going to be a special player.  He's going to be just about the perfect complement for a Sanheim or Myers, with whom he SHOULD make the one of the better 2nd pairings in the NHL.  

18 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'm not he will require waivers and i don't want him around at all because we know Hak will insert him instead of a kid as soon as one of them makes the slightest mistake...nope buh bye i wish him well.

Yeah, if they did need to call him up, he'd have to stay in the press box for the rest of the season and you're right, that is a risk with Hakstol's history with the likes of him and others.   

22 minutes ago, brelic said:

Subban became an NHL regular when he was 22-23

Josi became an NHL regular when he was 21-22

Ekholm when he was 23-24

Ellis when he was 23 (in his two previous years, he split his time almost equally between NHL and AHL)

I get that we all want to see these kids, but it's not as if it's some great injustice being perpetrated by the Iron Fisted Hextall. 

So, Provorov made it as a 19 year old.

Ghost at 22-23

Hagg at 22-23

Sanheim likely at 22-23 (splitting his time between NHL and AHL in his 21-22 year like Ellis)

Morin likely at 23

It's not injustice on Hextall's part.

It may have been short sighted on Hakstol's part to prefer Manning over Sanheim which then forced Hextall to send him back.

I don't want to see these kids because I'm impatient, I want to see them because they are probably already better players than Mac or Manning and at this point probably Gudas too.  Combine that with the fact that they will only get far better with more NHL time.

I'm frustrated that Morin got hurt, and then apparently re-injured the same thing because he rushed back. 

I'm not frustrated at all that Myers and Friedman haven't seen NHL time yet.  Not in the least.  I want them getting these minutes.  

I think the proof will be in the pudding next season.  Morin should still be waiver exempt next year, so they have that time to get his feet wet and buy the cow but the All Star Break I'd guess.  

How they make room is anyone's guess.  They really like Mac, so I could see them finding a sweetheard salary reclaiming deal to get him playing someplace, but I don't see them buying him out until the end of next season.  He'll be 33 then so maybe he wouldn't mind a season as the 7th man on a likely cup contender... I don't know.   I do know that Morin should have his either his or Gudas' spot by the start of the 2019 season.  

11 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Bingo and that is my model.

And they didn't keep all the guys the drafted they moved some for pieces they needed.

I mean if we can count on Montreal making a bonehead deal like the Weber Subban trade, then hells yeah!

Joking aside, yes.  If all these assets work out, trading them is inevitable.

11 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I hope the Flyers get lucky like that.

So far so good.  Not a given and I'm knocking wood as I type this, but so far so good.  The nice thing is that up front, the Flyers look to have a TON more talent than the Preds.  

Archived