Game 68: Flyers at Bruins, 3/8/18 at 7 PM

Howie58

Greetings:

The Bruins are installed as solid favorites:

https://www.oddsshark.com/nhl/philadelphia-boston-odds-march-8-2018-869899

On a broader note, recent history doesn't paint a pretty picture:

https://winnersandwhiners.com/games/nhl/3-8-2018/philadelphia-flyers-vs-boston-bruins-expert-prediction-9511/

We are 2-6 in last eight against winning teams.  We are 1-7 in our last eight in Beantown.  Tukka Rask has a 13-5, 1.99 GAA against the Flyers. Boston is 20-6 against us in last 26.  And lastly, it appears Alex Lyon gets the start.   We need an inspired performance...and hope that Boston has an off night.  

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Greetings:

The Bruins are installed as solid favorites:

https://www.oddsshark.com/nhl/philadelphia-boston-odds-march-8-2018-869899

On a broader note, recent history doesn't paint a pretty picture:

https://winnersandwhiners.com/games/nhl/3-8-2018/philadelphia-flyers-vs-boston-bruins-expert-prediction-9511/

We are 2-6 in last eight against winning teams.  We are 1-7 in our last eight in Beantown.  Tukka Rask has a 13-5, 1.99 GAA against the Flyers. Boston is 20-6 against us in last 26.  And lastly, it appears Alex Lyon gets the start.   We need an inspired performance...and hope that Boston has an off night.  

I really think this game has the making of a disaster.  Off the rails type of game if they are not careful...

I hate to say this but I am going with a 6-1 spanking in Beantown.   Rask is always tough and this Boston Team can bring the hammer down.  B2B with questionable (at best) goaltending and bottom 6.  

I pray that I am wrong but have a bad feeling about this game.  

2 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

Rask is always tough

Isn't Rask injured, or is he back now?

Either way, the Bruins are one of the league's best this year. It will be a tough game for sure.

On the bright side, we get to watch a match up between Brad Marchand and the new and improved Brad Marchand 2.0 Edition Travis Konecny.

2 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

pray that I am wrong but have a bad feeling about this game.  

MurrayC:

Last night, the announcers referred to this schedule as "the gauntlet" for the O and B.  My gut says the 10 game losing streak was the bottom, but the 12 game point streak may have been misleading.  Our PP looks confused.  We shoot a lot, but many are low percentage. Goaltending...so what else is new in Philly.  And if our top line doesn't have a big night, there is little else to fall back on, though Patrick is clearly emerging. And our D lets opposing forward get behind them for juicy rebound-deflection put-aways!

So, I think we make it to the playoffs.  But....we see the warts too.

Just now, murraycraven said:

I thought he was back....   although, I could be wrong.

I honestly have no idea. You're probably right.

Funny how we're both in possession of devices that are fully capable of looking up such info, yet neither of us have done so. Meh.

:cheers:

Just now, murraycraven said:

I thought he was back....   although, I could be wrong.

Not sure it matters who is in goal for the Ruins tonight. Flyers will just over pass, turn the puck over and Boston will speed down the ice blow past AMac, Manning or Gudas and light the lamp against Mrazek.

1 minute ago, Samifan said:

Not sure it matters who is in goal for the Ruins tonight. Flyers will just over pass, turn the puck over and Boston will speed down the ice blow past AMac, Manning or Gudas and light the lamp against Mrazek.

sad sami - but oh so true!!

7 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I honestly have no idea. You're probably right.

Funny how we're both in possession of devices that are fully capable of looking up such info, yet neither of us have done so. Meh.

:cheers:

LOL!  I am so over this week and am sliding slowly into weekend mode.

I would go with Lyon......sure i'm scared for the kid because he will be facing a firing squad it seems after what i have seen but hey he needs to be tested....can't think of a better/harder test for him!!!!!

Best case maybe gets a win.....then Hak can go back Mrazek as always!!! :beer:

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I would go with Lyon......sure i'm scared for the kid because he will be facing a firing squad it seems after what i have seen but hey he needs to be tested....can't think of a better/harder test for him!!!!

Agreed on all counts, and after last night's performance, PM needs/deserves a night off.  

7 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

PM needs/deserves a night off.

And some much needed practice and coaching he is all over the place.

I hope some of his flaws can be corrected and fixed if not they are screwed!

Get well Elliott and Neuvy. Neuvy is already skating with the team just so ya know.

29 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

And some much needed practice and coaching he is all over the place.

the one thing I have noticed is that he tends to not track the puck very well off of rebounds and behind the net.   Not sure what the deal is but it has been noticeable in my eyes...

PROJECTED LINEUPS

FLYERS 

28 Claude Giroux - 14 Sean Couturier - 11 Travis Konecny
54 Oskar Lindblom - 19 Nolan Patrick - 93 Jakub Voracek
40 Jordan Weal - 51 Valtteri Filppula - 17 Wayne Simmonds 
15 Jori Lehterä - 21 Scott Laughton - 12 Michael Raffl

9 Ivan Provorov - 53 Shayne Gostisbehere 
47 Andrew MacDonald - 8 Robert Hägg
23 Brandon Manning - 3 Radko Gudas

39 Alex Lyon / 34 Petr Mrazek

Scratches: 20 Taylor Leier (healthy), 22 Dale Weise (healthy), 24 Matt Read (healthy), 29 Johnny Oduya (lower body), 37 Brian Elliott (IR, core muscle surgery), 30 Michal Neuvirth (lower body, out 4-6 weeks from Feb. 18). 

BRUINS
63 Brad Marchand - 20 Riley Nash - 88 David Pastrnak
74 Jake DeBrusk - 46 David Krejci - 61 Rick Nash
43 Danton Heinen - 55 Noel Acciari - 12 Brian Gionta
59 Tim Schaller - 52 Sean Kuraly - 57 Tommy Wingels

33 Zdeno Chara - 25 Brandon Carlo 
47 Torey Krug - 44 Nick Holden 
48 Matt Grzelcyk - 86 Kevan Miller

40 Tuukka Rask
[35 Anton Khudobin]

Scratches: 54 Adam McQuaid (healthy), 37 Patrick Bergeron (foot fracture), 73 Charlie McAvoy (knee), 42 David Backes (game one of three-game NHL suspension), 10 Anders Björk (IR, shoulder surgery). 

1 hour ago, murraycraven said:

37 Patrick Bergeron (foot fracture), 73 Charlie McAvoy (knee)

If the Flyers can't beat these guys without these two key pieces they are in trouble.

I see the game is on the NHL Network. Does anyone know if they only use the home teams broadcast feed when they televise games?

If so, I will need to be drunk by 6:55p to brace myself for Jack Edwards, the #1 douchebag announcer in the NHL since Paul Steigerwald left the Pens booth.

24 minutes ago, Samifan said:

I see the game is on the NHL Network. Does anyone know if they only use the home teams broadcast feed when they televise games?

If so, I will need to be drunk by 6:55p to brace myself for Jack Edwards, the #1 douchebag announcer in the NHL since Paul Steigerwald left the Pens booth.

fucked up dancing GIF

2 hours ago, murraycraven said:

the one thing I have noticed is that he tends to not track the puck very well off of rebounds and behind the net.   Not sure what the deal is but it has been noticeable in my eyes...

A little something for Marchand tonight....

manpax-manpons-super-plus-for-the-guys-t

1 hour ago, Samifan said:

I hadn't thought about that. I'll have to join you.

I just hope they come to play tonight or i will just have to find something else to do.

Should be a good test again. Bruins 10th PP and 6th PK.

Need to find out who distinguished the Flyer's special teams...

Thumbnail

...their respective coaches or the dead coach??

They have to get that going to win it think.

Flyers 6-3-1

Bruins 7-3-0

It would be nice to see Oskar have a breakout game too...

Image result for straight jacket gif

Let's go Flyers!!!!!!!

5 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Agreed on all counts, and after last night's performance, PM needs/deserves a night off.  

Looks like Hak is taking your advise....Lyon to get the start. Kid deserves it.

C7RkNlxXkAAnF5S.jpg

Now just stop the puck.

4 hours ago, murraycraven said:

28 Claude Giroux - 14 Sean Couturier - 11 Travis Konecny
54 Oskar Lindblom - 19 Nolan Patrick - 93 Jakub Voracek
24 Matt Read - 51 Valtteri Filppula - 17 Wayne Simmonds 
15 Jori Lehterä - 21 Scott Laughton - 12 Michael Raffl

9 Ivan Provorov - 53 Shayne Gostisbehere 
47 Andrew MacDonald - 8 Robert Hägg
23 Brandon Manning - 3 Radko Gudas

39 Alex Lyon / 34 Petr Mrazek

From the latest report i seen Read in and Weal out. Didn't say where so i just plugged him in.

Archived