Flyers 2018 draft discussion

ruxpin

38 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

3C is a nice idea, though, and he could even swing to wing. 

I don't know 6 million is a lot to pay for your 3rd line center....hard to sit there and pay your 1st line center 2+ million less right???

So i pass on RNH.

The guy who interest me most on that team and who you can get for a low price is Jesse Puljujarvi.

He has yet to preform to expectations so i wonder if they would be willing to move him in a package deal.

20 points in 65 games is a huge disappointment. Now with that said it also would be a huge risk for the Flyers. Is it worth it??

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man i'm so excited for today....can't wait the down side is i have so much going on today into the night it is going to be hard to keep track of what is going on so i am going to have to rely on the folks here to keep me abreast of what is going on.

I am going to record the draft tonight and try to catch up on the events that happen but the phone is going to keep me up so much faster/easier.

Any ways it just feels good to be just focusing on the new hockey year and getting closer to Lord Stanley hopefully.

I feel like the Flyers will be a better team by the time October rolls around....it seems they have to with 21.7mill to spend.

I can't recall them having this much to work with....Ron's work seems to be paying off...i would really really love to get another body in net to push Elliott....i am done throwing names out i just want Ron to help improve that spot it will help this young team a lot...

...almost forget....wonder if the Flyers could flip Neuvy to the Blues to backup Allen???

I'll take a 10th round pick for him.

47 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I'm with you on the hot/cold on RNH.  3C is a nice idea, though, and he could even swing to wing. 

I really like Hagg. Probably more than most. But he's the expendable guy among the youngins. 

If it's not an expanded deal, I'd like to keep it #19 and something rather than #14 and something (being the greedy bastard that I am).    I wonder if they'd take MacDonald with our retaining salary. I think that creates a huge veteran hole in our lineup, but that's a risk I'm just willing to take. 

Yeah, on one hand I can see Hextall being reluctant to trade a vet, but he could dip into FA to pick up a cheap vet stopgap.  I don't think the Oilers would want MacDonald, but could see them having interest in Gudas.  He's younger, an RHD and a rugged player when allowed to play his game (he's also a dunce, though).  If the Oilers wanted someone of his ilk, I don't think there would be a problem replacing him in FA.  

5 minutes ago, vis said:

Yeah, on one hand I can see Hextall being reluctant to trade a vet, but he could dip into FA to pick up a cheap vet stopgap.

It is the route i would go....can't sign off on RNH for the 3rd line for 6 mill per unless they retain about 2 mill of his salary.

I just go for Bozak who will be much more affordable. Or Kyle Brodziak might be my 2nd affordable choice....

...almost forget @ruxpin choice Riley Nash....WTF not....i ain't trying to break the bank on 3rd line center....

...who i am hoping will be eventually bumped to 4th line center by mid season by Vorobyev...

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

It is the route i would go....can't sign off on RNH for the 3rd line for 6 mill per unless they retain about 2 mill of his salary.

I just go for Bozak who will be much more affordable. Or Kyle Brodziak might be my 2nd affordable choice....

...almost forget @ruxpin choice Riley Nash....WTF not....i ain't trying to break the bank on 3rd line center....

...who i am hoping will be eventually bumped to 4th line center by mid season by Vorobyev...

Lol Riley Nash isn't my choice. It was just something in context of when we were discussing Boston. 

The thing about RNH is that he can also slide up to wing.  I'm not married to the idea though as I'm not at all sold on RNH at any price. 

Honestly not that interested in Jesse Puljujarvi either. 

As it stands now here are the Flyers picks for the Draft.  I would really like to see if the Flyers can somehow get back into the 3rd round if possible.

1st round: 14th overall (St. Louis), 19th overall
2nd round: 50th overall
3rd round: None
4th round: 112th overall
5th round: 127th overall (Arizona), 143rd overall
6th round: 174th overall
7th round: 190th overall (Montreal), 205th overall

Agree with you @OccamsRazor, I'm very excited for tonight's draft.  For the first time in forever (Frozen reference unplanned ;)) this off season feels like the Flyers can finally begin making the moves that Hexy envisioned when he took over several years ago. 

Though I am work... I will be keeping my eyes peeled  here until I get home.

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Lol Riley Nash isn't my choice

Yeah but he put up some decent numbers on the 3rd and 4th line that i am thinking about...RNH for 6 mill on the 3rd doesn't work...

...but the 4 guys i listed could work on the 3rd....worst case bumped down to the 4th...eventually...and wouldn't break the bank...

5 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I'm not married to the idea though as I'm not at all sold on RNH at any price.

Exactly they would have to take a crap contract back....no other way to go about it...sure you could slide Patrick back to 3rd line duty...and slot RNH on the 2nd but i would rather keep Patrick on the 3rd i expect a huge year from him finally healthy...

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Exactly they would have to take a crap contract back....no other way to go about it...sure you could slide Patrick back to 3rd line duty...and slot RNH on the 2nd but i would rather keep Patrick on the 3rd i expect a huge year from him finally healthy...

Yeah, no way I'm putting RNH at 2C over Patrick. But when necessary I can slide him to 2L or 2R.

If I'm trading for him, the #10 is actually my target. 

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

So a 2nd of:

RNH-Patrick-Voracek

????

Bump Lindblom down to 3rd line???

I would depending upon my options at 3C.  I think he'd be my 3C, but that would be my change up look (again, depending on my options at 3C)

Just throwing sh it against the wall and seeing what sticks....

...so with the expansion draft in mind and the Flyers thinking about who they will/would have to protect say if Bouchard or Dobson (whomever they favor more) sitting on the board could they jump and move a defenseman with that in mind say a Ghost, Sanheim,Morin or Myers (not sure Myers will need to be protected)??

So that guy they drafted wouldn't be subject to it???

Just think ahead and aloud....

Finally today is the draft! There seems to be a lot of debate about the mid-late round potential selections!  Trust the scouts.... they seem to be on it in recent years.

over on the hf boards there is all kinds of desparity pertaining to our  picks.  I love how there is so many highly regarded dmen. Some really good forwards are going to slip. Got to think hexy has targets to move up and grab if possible. 

Should be a fun day!

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Just throwing sh it against the wall and seeing what sticks....

...so with the expansion draft in mind and the Flyers thinking about who they will/would have to protect say if Bouchard or Dobson (whomever they favor more) sitting on the board could they jump and move a defenseman with that in mind say a Ghost, Sanheim,Morin or Myers (not sure Myers will need to be protected)??

So that guy they drafted wouldn't be subject to it???

Just think ahead and aloud....

Myers would be eligible for selection. 

There's no need to overthink the expansion draft, especially not at this juncture. The Flyers are going to lose one player. He will likely be a good player because they are starting to have a number of them on their roster. There's no need to trade away two in order to still lose that one. Just make sure you're in a good position to backfill whomever you lose.

Just now, AJgoal said:

There's no need to overthink the expansion draft, especially not at this juncture.

Sure plenty of time i get it but the longer you wait to and teams know you need to move guys instead of losing them for nothing the less leverage you have. So you can plan now with that in mind. And yeah i get it is early still but Ron is a planner it seems and if you know what you would do you don't have to wait....strike now.

2 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

The Flyers are going to lose one player.

Exactly it is why i would be ok with losing a Laughton/Leier/Raffl type than a Sanheim/Morin/Myers type.

And right now there is still time to do so...but as i said the long er you wait the less leverage you will have because you will have 30 teams trying to do the same thing. There will be limited teams who will be able to take a prospect like that too who will have room to protect them.

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sure plenty of time i get it but the longer you wait to and teams know you need to move guys instead of losing them for nothing the less leverage you have. So you can plan now with that in mind. And yeah i get it is early still but Ron is a planner it seems and if you know what you would do you don't have to wait....strike now.

Exactly it is why i would be ok with losing a Laughton/Leier/Raffl type than a Sanheim/Morin/Myers type.

And right now there is still time to do so...but as i said the long er you wait the less leverage you will have because you will have 30 teams trying to do the same thing. There will be limited teams who will be able to take a prospect like that too who will have room to protect them.

OK. 

Let's assume that the Flyers will protect Provorov, Ghost, and Sanheim in expansion. Could be any three, but we need names.

Scenraio 1: Morin, Hagg, and Myers are left exposed. The Flyers lose Myers.

They now have Provorov, Ghost, Sanheim, Myers, Morin, Hagg.

Scenario 2: They trade Myers for futures to avoid losing him for nothing. It would have to be futures, because other players would need to be protected. They then lose Morin in expansion.

They now have Provorov, Ghost, Sanheim, and Hagg on defense.

It's self defeating to trade away young players to protect yourself from losing them later. 

9 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

It's self defeating to trade away young players to protect yourself from losing them later.

How so you move up in the draft now by say trading Myers now. Draft Bouchard who is a right hand shot.

You just backfilled that spot.

Then next do the same say with Morin at the draft (the following year) trade him to move up and select another defenseman. Morin spot now is backfilled.

Now you can expose a Friedman, Hagg and a Willcox in the draft and maybe lose one of those guys who would be a lesser blow than losing a Myers or Morin and stand there left holding nothing.

How would you be defeating yourself?? I'm lost on that....you dictated what scraps Seattle would have to choose from.

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

How so you move up in the draft now by say trading Myers now. Draft Bouchard who is a right hand shot.

You just backfilled that spot.

At the cost of two assets. You would have lost one had you just let Myers go during expansion.

Then next do the same say with Morin at the draft (the following year) trade him to move up and select another defenseman. Morin spot now is backfilled.

And now you're up to four. And you're STILL going to lose someone.

Now you can expose a Friedman, Hagg and a Willcox in the draft and maybe lose one of those guys who would be a lesser blow than losing a Myers or Morin and stand there left holding nothing.

You ARE holding nothing.

How would you be defeating yourself?? I'm lost on that....you dictated what scraps Seattle would have to choose from.

You had two players and two draft picks that you traded, and lost someone to expansion. You gave up five players to end up with two, as opposed to losing one to end up with 4. It's turrible math.

20 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Completely agree.  I've been saying this repeatedly but I don't think it's sinking in.

3 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

At the cost of two assets.

But you are ignoring the fact you got two top defensemen back as assets.

So technically you really didn't lose a Myers or Morin you lose a Friedman or a Hagg while adding two highly touted Dmen back into the fold....i'm not sure how you can not acknowledge that part.

It is like saying we traded Schenn for Lehtera then ignoring the two 1st round picks that come back. :hyper:

8 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

You ARE holding nothing.

No you're not. Your math is off. You just added Bouchard to the farm. That is not nothing.

And then next year (insert young prospects name say Cam York for example) instead or Morin.

So now you have Ivan, Ghost, Sanheim (say they just take Hagg), Friedman to go with Bouchard and York two more hight draft picks instead of losing Myers and Morin for zilch.

How are you not seeing this??? It's beyond me and i can't explain it any easier. Sure you lost Hagg but you dicated that by what you left them to choose from.

If we do it your way you would just lose Myers and be left with nothing to show for it.

When if you trade Myers i think Bouchard another right hand shot would be decent compensation for him.

I'd rather lose Hagg for nothing than Myers for nothing.

Anyways i have wasted more time than i wanted on this so i'm done with it.

14 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I've been saying this repeatedly but I don't think it's sinking in.

Really you too now.

Dear lord you're staving off losing a guy for nothing...and moving him to curtail that.

So you only lose Hagg for nothing instead of Myers for nothing.

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

But you are ignoring the fact you got two top defensemen back as assets.

So technically you really didn't lose a Myers or Morin you lose a Friedman or a Hagg while adding two highly touted Dmen back into the fold....i'm not sure how you can not acknowledge that part.

It is like saying we traded Schenn for Lehtera then ignoring the two 1st round picks that come back. :hyper:

No, it's not. Especially since I said you gave up 5 (which you did) to get 2 (which you also did).

You trade up with Myers and 14 to grab Boqvist or Bouchard. So not only did you give up Myers, you also gave up Kravtsov. 

Next year you're giving up Morin plus whomever you would have drafted to get one kid back.

Then you're giving up Friedman or whomever (Who knows, maybe Friedman turns out to be good) for nothing.

8 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

No you're not. Your math is off. You just added Bouchard to the farm. That is not nothing.

My math is not off. Would you give me $5 if I returned $2 to you? Because that's what you're doing.

Myers ($1) + First Round Pick ($1) + Morin ($1) + 2019 1st round pick ($1) + Friedman ($1)  = $5

in return you get

Bouchard ($1) + Slightly higher 2019 1st round pick ($1) = 2

Diminishing Returns.

Archived