3C

King Knut

I thought the Caps resigned Eller as well?

Joe Thornton will retire, I think.  I also don't see him coming to the East coast.

I don't care much for Paul Stastny or Bozak, but might be the best options in the market.  Plekanec is not a bad third liner, but old.  Hate the turtleneck.  Derek Grant had a good season for Anaheim, but never did much before this year.  Brodziak?  Winnik?  (Both would be 4Cs, but Vecchione will get a shot or Laughton again.)

Not a great UFA market.  Hextall is going to have to get creative.  

Unless Morgan Frost cracks the lineup, though I think that's very unlikely.  

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

There's another name that should be added to the list - Riley Nash from Boston. I think he could be a real good fit on a line with Simmonds on the right side and Laughton on the left. 

I'd actually entertain that idea.  Not sure about the Laughton part (I'm really sour on him above 4th line checking winger) but I'd try that. 

14 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I'd actually entertain that idea.  Not sure about the Laughton part (I'm really sour on him above 4th line checking winger) but I'd try that. 

For me it comes down to Laughton or Raffl and at this point, Laughton is several years younger and I think there's offensive upside that hasn't been tapped yet. Moving him to the wing alleviates some of the defensive responsibility that comes with being a center. As well, he's an incredible skater with a great wrist and snap shot. I say move him out of the center spot and allow him to use those shooting skills. 

This might sound short sighted, but the only other person I'd use on the left side of a Nash - Simmonds line would be Dannick Martel.

3 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Dannick Martel.

I expect him to be the Flyer's version of Jordan Weal next year he is good 5 on 5 and despite his stature is feisty as hell...a few Flyer forwards could learn a thing or two or how to play with the edge he has. I expect him to start the season of the 3rd line LW barring some crazy signing by the Flyers that i don't foresee.

20 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

There's another name that should be added to the list - Riley Nash from Boston. I think he could be a real good fit on a line with Simmonds on the right side and Laughton on the left. 

Interesting thought.  Not really a great faceoff guy.  But, he's had a good year and maybe now he's digging a little deeper with his brother on the team.  Wonder if he'd perform as well in this environment.  Honestly, though, I'd be a little wary of him.

I keep looking at the list of UFAs.  It's pretty bad.  Figures that would be the case in a year where we finally have a ton of cap space.

Well this is a good sign at least one more winger should make the lineup...

...barring him bombing in the preseason...i expect Vorobyev to join him somewhere in the lineup too...

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

It is why i would prefer Brodziak or Bozak.

Agree.  Brodziak wouldn't be a bad 4th liner.  Bozak would be a pretty good 3C.  After reading a little more about him, it seems he's improved as a player under Babcock.  IIRC, he wears an "A" so that must mean something.  Maybe he's the best target.  Presumably other teams will be vying for his services, which will bid the price up.  What are the chances the Leafs would resign him?

On 4/28/2018 at 1:59 PM, OccamsRazor said:

I expect him to be the Flyer's version of Jordan Weal next year he is good 5 on 5 and despite his stature is feisty as hell...a few Flyer forwards could learn a thing or two or how to play with the edge he has. I expect him to start the season of the 3rd line LW barring some crazy signing by the Flyers that i don't foresee.

Yeah, Jordan Weal sorta crapped the bed this year.  He's had a rough go of it in our system.  He usually had the worst line mates all year, but nonetheless he did absolutely nothing with what he was given.  

On 2018-04-28 at 8:02 PM, vis said:

Agree.  Brodziak wouldn't be a bad 4th liner.  Bozak would be a pretty good 3C.  After reading a little more about him, it seems he's improved as a player under Babcock.  IIRC, he wears an "A" so that must mean something.  Maybe he's the best target.  Presumably other teams will be vying for his services, which will bid the price up.  What are the chances the Leafs would resign him?

Bozak has always been a solid player. He’s just never been heralded as such. That’s in part because his time in TO involved some awful teams.

That said, i wouldn’t expect him to be much better than Fil. He’d likely be better defensively and on faceoffs. We were third in FOs this year, but there’s no harm in doubling down. We were actually pretty decent defensively too, aside from on the PK.

Can Bozak play goalie? Bozak/Elliott tandem?

On 4/28/2018 at 5:43 PM, OccamsRazor said:

View image on Twitter

I'm not sure I grasp what Age Adjusted Points Per Game means, but the long story short with Frost is that he's still got a kid's body and needs to fill out.  

Danny Briere and Johnny Gudreau and even Konecny may have been on the smaller side, but they were smaller full grown men.  Frost isn't that short, but he needs to pack on some muscle to not get demolished.  It's at that age.  Some guys bodies fill out when they're 16, other guys it happens in their 20's.  

1 hour ago, elmatus said:

Bozak has always been a solid player. He’s just never been heralded as such. That’s in part because his time in TO involved some awful teams.

That said, i wouldn’t expect him to be much better than Fil. He’d likely be better defensively and on faceoffs. We were third in FOs this year, but there’s no harm in doubling down. We were actually pretty decent defensively too, aside from on the PK.

I didn't realize he'd climbed up to 32 already when I'd suggested him.  Time flies.  I don't know if I want to risk another FIlppula situation.  Maybe for a 2 year deal... but I think there are other options I'd go for first.  

3 hours ago, King Knut said:

Yeah, Jordan Weal sorta crapped the bed this year.  He's had a rough go of it in our system.  He usually had the worst line mates all year, but nonetheless he did absolutely nothing with what he was given.  

Being tough with him discouraged him, Martel ups game and is more like TK except more disciplined.

On 4/28/2018 at 3:34 PM, vis said:

I keep looking at the list of UFAs.  It's pretty bad.  Figures that would be the case in a year where we finally have a ton of cap space.

Honestly, that's the new norm.  Teams are better about signing the people they actually want, letting some go to the expansion team du jour (lol). So, the free agent list is 30-something meh's.   Not that some can't help, but it's become almost just as much of a roll of the dice as the draft (maybe worse).   "Will this guy rebound from whatever made his previous team not want him?"  "At 33, how much time does he have?   Will he take less to hang on?   At 33, will he settle for 1 or 2 years?"

As much as we kvetch about Weise, he was probably one of the better available of his FA class.   I think it's clear the way that the come out die roll went: snake eyes.

A Tavares situation is rare and will become moreso.   At some point, GMs (owners?) need to decide if they're ever going to start playing by the actual RFA rules.  Otherwise, it's increasingly going to be draft well, and trades.

16 hours ago, King Knut said:

Teekshas like 15 lbs on him.  That ain’t nuthin.  

I’m seeing:

TK at 5’10” 180lbs

Martel at 5’8” 166lbs. 

Which one’s wrong?

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

Honestly, that's the new norm.  Teams are better about signing the people they actually want, letting some go to the expansion team du jour (lol). So, the free agent list is 30-something meh's.   Not that some can't help, but it's become almost just as much of a roll of the dice as the draft (maybe worse).   "Will this guy rebound from whatever made his previous team not want him?"  "At 33, how much time does he have?   Will he take less to hang on?   At 33, will he settle for 1 or 2 years?"

As much as we kvetch about Weise, he was probably one of the better available of his FA class.   I think it's clear the way that the come out die roll went: snake eyes.

A Tavares situation is rare and will become moreso.   At some point, GMs (owners?) need to decide if they're ever going to start playing by the actual RFA rules.  Otherwise, it's increasingly going to be draft well, and trades.

I still assert that that Weise wasn’t a bad signing... he just has stunk more than his track record before coming here.  

Dont know why, but he’s just not doing what he had done before. 

the Tavares situation is coming directly out of the player not signing a long bridge deal on his final RFA negotiation exactly so he could get into this situation.   The risk is a career ending injury in that short term I guess.  

I’d feel bad for the islanders, they’re going to be mightily screwed.  Either they lose Tavares and overpay for Bailey who will not be as good without Tavares or they manage to keep Tavares who will have no one to play with or they just straight up lose them both.  Sheesh. 

Ahhh, But screw them, they were off sides in ‘79. 

1 hour ago, King Knut said:

I still assert that that Weise wasn’t a bad signing... he just has stunk more than his track record before coming here.  

Dont know why, but he’s just not doing what he had done before. 

No, I agree.   Hindsight is hindsight and all that, but given what was available at the time and what the perceived needs were, it made sense.  I wasn't excited about the signing--I don't think it was supposed to be "exciting"--but I didn't hate it.   I'm not sure, either, what's happened there.  The only point was that signings that are now the norm are a crap shoot and you win some, you lose some.  I don't think the reward has as high a ceiling as it once did unless you run into the unusual circumstance that is Tavares.

1 hour ago, King Knut said:

the Tavares situation is coming directly out of the player not signing a long bridge deal on his final RFA negotiation exactly so he could get into this situation.   The risk is a career ending injury in that short term I guess.  

I’d feel bad for the islanders, they’re going to be mightily screwed.  Either they lose Tavares and overpay for Bailey who will not be as good without Tavares or they manage to keep Tavares who will have no one to play with or they just straight up lose them both.  Sheesh. 

Ahhh, But screw them, they were off sides in ‘79. 

Yep, you describe the situation and the risk for him going in correctly.  I guess playing to win was better than playing not to lose in this instance.

I'd feel bad for the Isles too, but yeah: 1979.   I actually don't harbor that too much anymore, but the reality is that the ownership group and Snow make some odd choices. It makes it hard to not say "screw them."

2 hours ago, King Knut said:

I’m seeing:

TK at 5’10” 180lbs

Martel at 5’8” 166lbs. 

Which one’s wrong?

Those thing don't get updated. Tony Androckitis said Martel was up to 174 pounds and TK is only 180.

Either way he is big enough.

Jared Spurgeon is only 168 and plays just fine. HEART and determination is all that matters. Weal shys away from the physical stuff once you take it to him.

On 5/2/2018 at 11:27 AM, elmatus said:

I thought he was the TO fans' whipping boy back in the day.  Maybe I'm wrong about that.

That said, i wouldn’t expect him to be much better than Fil.

I don't know about that.  He's a couple of years younger than Filppula and had more points this past year.  So, he's capable of chipping in offensively (granted he may have had more talent to work with).  I don't know what the fancy stats say, though.  I also think Bozak is a better skater than Filppula.

Can't be worse than an Elliott/Neuvirth or Mrazek tandem.

Archived