Zero Confidence In Holmgren

King Knut

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

If we offer sheet Nylander and have to give up 3 first rounders and at the rate we are going this years pick will be a lottery pick. Nylander is not worth that. 

Who's talking offer sheet? That would be foolish. 

I dont see the attraction for Nylander , he is not the kind of player we need. People are talking about moving Coots to third line if we get Nylander. Coots has arrived as an offensive force moving him back to third line will diminish his offensive output. Simmonds should go for some great assets at the deadline  There will be huge bidding for a warrior like Simmonds and teams will pay big, he is having a good year. We can then make a trade for the kind of third line center we really need. Physical, good on face offs, defensive and penalty killing skills.  

4 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

I dont see the attraction for Nylander , he is not the kind of player we need. People are talking about moving Coots to third line if we get Nylander. Coots has arrived as an offensive force moving him back to third line will diminish his offensive output. Simmonds should go for some great assets at the deadline  There will be huge bidding for a warrior like Simmonds and teams will pay big, he is having a good year. We can then make a trade for the kind of third line center we really need. Physical, good on face offs, defensive and penalty killing skills.  

Who's talking about that?   He plays largely right wing.  If he moves to center, it would be 3C.   And we actually do need a player that will shoot the fricken puck.  Neither "offer sheet" or Coots are particularly relevant.

3 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Who's talking about that?   He plays largely right wing.  If he moves to center, it would be 3C.   And we actually do need a player that will shoot the fricken puck.  Neither "offer sheet" or Coots are particularly relevant.

I'd think Patrick goes to 3C and Nylander 2C.

JVR/Nylander/Voracek

Lindblom/Patrick/Simmonds

Also, 'offer sheet' was all the rage on page 1 of this thread. Where ya been?? Lol

5 minutes ago, brelic said:

I'd think Patrick goes to 3C and Nylander 2C.

JVR/Nylander/Voracek

Lindblom/Patrick/Simmonds

Also, 'offer sheet' was all the rage on page 1 of this thread. Where ya been?? Lol

No one read that to me. Lol 

13 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I'm on board with Nylander. If it was Sanheim and a 2nd round pick, do you do it?  

I think I do.  

I really don't feel like trading Sanheim.  

I still really feel like this team, the current Flyers team is a better coaching staff away from being extremely competitive.  

I know it sounds crazy, but I think they're way better than they look right now (because they actually look quite good in spurts), they're just being coached to go the wrong places at the wrong times and they also appear to be just a psychological mess and I think it's because of the coaches as well.  If your entire team gets down on itself after a bad goal and then gives up 2 more to lose a game... or your entire team repeatedly comes out slow and gives up the FIRST 4 GOALS in less than a period, there are some serious motivational and preparation issues at play that go so far beyond, "Not having heart" that I don't know what else to say about it. 

There is no group of 20 Professional athletes that combine for this pathetic a compete level.  They are a confused mess right now and Homer and Scott having fired Hextall without replacing him while doing nothing about Hakstol, but openly telling the world they want to make trades and that a new GM would probably replace the coach has likely only made that worse because now they're a confused team hanging in limbo waiting for the sword of Damocles to fall. 

God I hate Homer.  Just hate him.  I'm using the word Hate Here.  

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

I still don’t see how Nylander helps in the PK and defensive duties , giving up Sanheim for him would be a mistake.

I'm with you on Sanheim, he's a far better player than we're seeing and under a different coach could be an amazingly dynamic help.  

Sanheim SHOULD be as offensively Dynamic as Ghost is now and Ghost SHOULD be as dynamic as Karlsson was two years ago... but you know... Hakstol problems.  Somehow it makes sense for Hagg, MacDonald and Gudas to join the rush and go to the net more often than the puck handling smooth skating defensemen who are only allowed to EVER take slap shots from the blue line... into traffic... that tend to hurt our own players.  (sigh).  

Either way though, Nylander is very sound and very responsible defensively and he commits almost zero penalties.  

He'll be far superior to Jordan Weal defensively and simply by NOT committing the stupid penalties, he'll help the PK dramatically.  

I think who his wingers would be would vary until they settle in.  Everyone really seems to like Lindblom / Patrick / Jake and somehow I don't think Nylander would mind being 3C between JVR and Simmonds so much.  At that point, you're really rolling two 2nd lines, not a 2nd and a third.  

13 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I think the hesitation is being able to afford new contracts for Patrick and Provorov and Konecny. 

I don't want to give up on Patrick, but right now as I type I'd risk not being able up afford Patrick to get Nylander. 

We'd get something for Patrick when the time comes. 

Give each one of those guys 8 million (which they will earn nothing near by the way) and you will still have another 8 million in cap space next season.  

Again, I don't think Nylander is worth 8 million.  I don't think anyone should pay him that.  This thing should have gone to arbitration already.  Right now however, he's far closer to being worth that kind of money than Patrick, Provorov or Konecny.  They should each be getting bridge deals that will take the team to the end of the Giroux contract.

Which is yet another reminder that G and Jake's windows will not be open a whole lot longer.  

I know it sounds unrealistic, but I still like the Offer sheet idea.  It actually gets everyone involved something very positive out of the deal.  

Unless the Flyers get drastically better and soon, they'll be deadline dealing Simmonds anyway.  If you are forced to give up a 1st for Nylander, they could literally trade Simmonds to the Leafs to get their first round pick, essentially trading Simmonds, and 2nd and a 3rd for Nylander.  

I think the leafs will be holding out for a Dman like Sanheim in a direct deal, so this is easier on the Flyers.  

7 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Offer sheet is relevant, but they won't try it unless Toronto is openly on board from the start.  

Nylander played a lot of 3C last year and I think he'd fit in well. I know you weren't the one saying it, but I don't think we need a physical 3C, I think we need a positionally smart puck carrier/mover to set up Simmonds and JVR for clean passes and not get so far out of position that he can't cover.  

This is why Patrick still makes sense between Jake and Lindblom and Nylander would make sense between Simmer and JVR.  Nylander is kinda like Weal if Weal were good at everything Weal's not good at.   He's a little bigger, legitimately (not potentially) skilled offensively, defensively responisble, and doesn't take bad penalties.  

He's not a sandpaper guy... boo hoo.  I am so G.D. sick of sandpaper guys. 

8 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Offer sheet is relevant, but they won't try it unless Toronto is openly on board from the start.  

Nylander played a lot of 3C last year and I think he'd fit in well. I know you weren't the one saying it, but I don't think we need a physical 3C, I think we need a positionally smart puck carrier/mover to set up Simmonds and JVR for clean passes and not get so far out of position that he can't cover.  

This is why Patrick still makes sense between Jake and Lindblom and Nylander would make sense between Simmer and JVR.  Nylander is kinda like Weal if Weal were good at everything Weal's not good at.   He's a little bigger, legitimately (not potentially) skilled offensively, defensively responisble, and doesn't take bad penalties.  

He's not a sandpaper guy... boo hoo.  I am so G.D. sick of sandpaper guys. 

I agree a lot with the bolded part.  

The red part made me laugh out loud, which isn't good because I'm in a room full of people at a PA CareerLink

I suppose the offer sheet is more relevant now than it was 3 days ago.  No way Hextall was giving away those draft picks.  But Holmgren puts draft picks in the Halloween bags of neighborhood kids.  In fact, I think now one will come with the purchase of a Santa Sack.  So maybe.

Just now, ruxpin said:

I agree a lot with the bolded part.  

The red part made me laugh out loud, which isn't good because I'm in a room full of people at a PA CareerLink

I suppose the offer sheet is more relevant now than it was 3 days ago.  No way Hextall was giving away those draft picks.  But Holmgren puts draft picks in the Halloween bags of neighborhood kids.  In fact, I think now one will come with the purchase of a Santa Sack.  So maybe.

More than the picks, the problem with the Offer sheet is the stigma... but Homer already has that Stigma associated with him.  No one will trade with him anyway after Weber, so you might as well take advantage and let Homer piss everyone off and hire someone smart and new to come in and apologize and tell everyone you're not going to act so barbarically.  

At the end of the day though, I don't think Toronto would be too upset with the outcome.  They'll get something positive that they can turn around at the deadline if they need to (1st round picks are usually what sellers go for at the deadline anyway) and they won't have to pay a guy that they're winning quite handily without $8million / year.  

Sorry for the inappropriate chuckle, and good luck at the link!

1 minute ago, King Knut said:

Sorry for the inappropriate chuckle, and good luck at the link!

Thanks.

I'm recruiting, not searching, but it's not a good day so far.  I'm in an area that's pretty close to at capacity employment (way more jobs than people).  So, it's like fishing in a sewage drain.

13 hours ago, FD19372 said:

Related image

This seriously isn't going to be a problem unless they bring in Carey Price at his full $10.5 million.

Which by the way (and this is a total aside that has nothing to do with anything) someone someplace was mad that Hextall didn't trade for Carey price last summer.  

He's a 31 year old 10.5 million dollar goalie on a contract that lasts 8 more years who has also missed time to injury in 2 of the last 4 seasons.  

He may be the best goalie in the world playing on a terrible team, but if we're mad about paying Elliott less than $3million to miss time at 33, what are we going to be when Price is playing 12 games a year making 10.5 million when he's 39 years old!

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Thanks.

I'm recruiting, not searching, but it's not a good day so far.  I'm in an area that's pretty close to at capacity employment (way more jobs than people).  So, it's like fishing in a sewage drain.

Then it sounds like both you and the trout in the drain need a little luck ;)

Archived