Casey Desmith signs extension with the Pens

nossagog

Casey DeSmith has signed a three year extension with the Pittsburgh Penguins  The average cap hit is $1.25M/year.  That seems to  be a very friendly contract for a goalie whom many thought would be a career minor leaguer.  His season has really pushed Matt Murray to overcome the funk he started in and put the Pens goalie tandems in the league  Good deal for both team and player. 

I agree it's a good signing for the Pens.  DeSmith played well when they needed him most.  Murray had to have been injured to start the season and just played with it until he needed some time off.    The Pens have been 9-0-0 in Murray's last nine appearances dating to Dec. 15 (1.55 GAA, .953 SV%, 2 SO)  That's about as good as it gets.  

DeSmith has been very good for the Pens, in fact, I'd say he should be in consideration for team MVP this year. He did exactly what you want your backup to do, come in and play well enough to keep the team in it until the starter gets healthy. The Pens appear to have it together now, so look out eastern conference. 

I think Rutherford has been doing a nice job keeping this team's window open. He's made good signings and moves, I think this is another good signing for both parties. 

Good signing, good deal.

Prior to this extension, I had been talking with some of the other Wild fans on their threads about the possibility of Minnesota trying to pursue DeSmith as Devan Dubnyk's backup (they currently have Alex Stalock, and he will be a UFA as well)….but, really, be a bit more than just a backup.

I have been impressed by Casey DeSmith's play enough to dare say he would have pushed Devan Dubnyk for the starter's job, or at the very least, a pseudo time share consideration, just the way he seems to be pushing Matt Murray with the Penguins.

Futhermore, a quick look at DeSmith's numbers show that his excellent play this season is no fluke. He actually has had respectable, sometimes very good numbers, at the NHL level in season's past.

A side by side comparison over the last three seasons also showed that DeSmith not only compared favorably with Devan Dubnyk (albeit, Duby has more on ice time), but were much better than Alex Stalock's...AND he even was better than both, it seems, when it comes to Sv% on high danger shots (meaning anything from the 1-15 ft range), and that is saying something too, considering that the Penguins, in general, when compared to Minnesota, play a more "loose" style of defense, and therefore DeSmith dealt with many more higher scoring chances against than either Dubnyk or Stalock, who play behind a generally more disciplined, structured, and layered defense....and DeSmith handled his duties very well.

Bottom line: I think very highly of Casey DeSmith and his game....and while I stand by the Penguins making a hell of a signing at the bargain price of $1.25M per, I am also saddened that is one goalie off the market the Wild will NOT be getting ahold of come the off season.

Pens' GM with the smart move here locking up his very good goalie for another three seasons before the market had a chance to steal him away.

22 hours ago, notfondajane said:

I agree that this is a great signing. 

Its about time the Pens have 2 3 quality goalkeepers. Which makes me happy Marc Andre Flurry is in Vegas! 

Fixed. Don't forget Jarry. Now that DeSmith is basically locked into the back-up role I think it's clear Jarry has become a nice trade chip. 

Good article in the PG last week. Basically, Rutherford has some combination of Jarry, a defenseman (Oleksiak's name is mention most often) and Brassard to work with as far as upgrading the roster. Ironically, the need most often mentioned is....3C.

Could you pry away an Eric Staal from MInnesota if they fall out of the running?

23 hours ago, B21 said:

Fixed. Don't forget Jarry. Now that DeSmith is basically locked into the back-up role I think it's clear Jarry has become a nice trade chip. 

Good article in the PG last week. Basically, Rutherford has some combination of Jarry, a defenseman (Oleksiak's name is mention most often) and Brassard to work with as far as upgrading the roster. Ironically, the need most often mentioned is....3C.

Could you pry away an Eric Staal from MInnesota if they fall out of the running?

Hummm, would be quite the trade for the Pens. Don't know if I'd do this as the Wild though.   It would probably have to be Brassard/Oleksiak,  which reans they would pick up $500k with the forwards and have Oleksiak as the prize in the trade.   For a quality possible rental for a playoff run, the wild should be able to do better than that.  But there are times GMJR makes some great deals. 

Archived