Is something wrong with Filip Johansson?

sweetshot

The Wild's first round draft pick from the most recent NHL draft, Filip Johansson, is playing for Leksand in the second level Swedish hockey league. He has one assist(that's right, one!) in 36 games played and is a -16.  Is this something that we should be concerned about?

1 hour ago, sweetshot said:

The Wild's first round draft pick from the most recent NHL draft, Filip Johansson, is playing for Leksand in the second level Swedish hockey league. He has one assist(that's right, one!) in 36 games played and is a -16.  Is this something that we should be concerned about?

Yes, but unfortunately this result isn't a whole lot different than the mn wild's track record regarding draft picks and their said development.

I think I can answer that.  He is probably a nice kid and OK hockey player.  He was simply drafted way too high, and will suffer the consequences of expectations for the rest of his career.  He was rated 2nd or 3rd round by EVERY OTHER team, but the Wild were (again) the smartest team in the room, and overdrafted him.  Were he to have been drafted in late 2 or early 3, I would still be concerned by this performance in the second SEL.  However, due to the stupidity of the hubris in where he was selected, the choice looks worse every game.  I hope the best for all the drafted kids, but he is in a tenuous situation that was caused by arrogant drafting, or falling in love with yet another thin Swede whom skates reasonably well but does not fit the game that is played in the NHL as well as other alternatives - and the OTHER TEAMS scouts said so (not me)....I still wish him well, but we cannot keep flushing picks annually

Some news.  https://www.hockeynews.se/articles/6525/

Probably will need to translate if you wish to read the whole article.

Johansson is one of 7 defensemen selected to "Team 19", which will play a five-nation tournament in the Finnish Turku from Feb 6-10.  This is a start for the selection of 2020's World Junior Team.

(shrugs)  Johansson isn't anything special.  He's not big, isn't really fast but is a reasonable skater.  Supposedly smart but is a finesse defender with extremely limited offensive skills.  I've already kind of given up on him.  He's not thriving and he's playing in the 2nd tier league in Sweden.  I'd be more hopeful if he was simply struggling playing in the Eliteserien, but it's Allsvenskan...blech.  Not worth worrying about.  Flahr's FU pick for the #mnwild IMO.  

Johansson is what he is. A mild player, dull player.

The Wild scouting staff on the other hand = completely worthless... Still.

Or the club keeps all the scouting staff intact and they do a great job... But the GM and/or owner drift off the farm making one lame pick after another year after year.

18 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

(shrugs)  Johansson isn't anything special.  He's not big, isn't really fast but is a reasonable skater.  Supposedly smart but is a finesse defender with extremely limited offensive skills.  I've already kind of given up on him.  He's not thriving and he's playing in the 2nd tier league in Sweden.  I'd be more hopeful if he was simply struggling playing in the Eliteserien, but it's Allsvenskan...blech.  Not worth worrying about.  Flahr's FU pick for the #mnwild IMO.  

LIG - No offense, but that is a pretty gloomy take 6 months after our drafting him.  Yet, I completely agree with you, which says what about our collective confidence in these remaining scouts and Wild Mgmt in terms of evaluation, use of assets and running the Team?!?  Do you believe it was just Flahr endorsement of FJ?

Archived