Jump to content
News Ticker
  • News Around the NHL

Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

RonJeremy

The Flyers final move?

Recommended Posts

OK , we got the center,  the salary is a bit high and  the 7 years too, but what can you do.

We got two veterans for the blueline,  neither are an impact dman or a true first pairing guy, but in another year or two Meyers or Sanheim will be a first pairing guy. These guys are just here for 2 years or so to help guide the young guys and to cut down the goals against.

 

So the last thing on the list is a third line right wing. So as mentioned before, we can try to steal Kapanen from Toronto with an offer sheet., With a reasonable contract the compensation is a second round pick, since we dont have that we can give them Haag. Kapenan has size and speed, scored 20 and can easily turn into a 25-30 goal scorer. By dumping Haag, Morin becomes the 7th dman.

In doing this we get can keep Ghost and our 11th pick. Unless there is some superstar goal scoring machine thats on the trading block that is worth Ghost and the 11th?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

So the last thing on the list is a third line right wing. So as mentioned before, we can try to steal Kapanen from Toronto with an offer sheet., With a reasonable contract the compensation is a second round pick, since we dont have that we can give them Haag. Kapenan has size and speed, scored 20 and can easily turn into a 25-30 goal scorer. By dumping Haag, Morin becomes the 7th dman.

 

I'm completely game.

 

We're talking about Marner on the other thread--because it's been 5 minutes--but I really think this is more realistic.

And i just really like that kid's game.

 

I'm okay with Kapenan on Patrick's wing, but I'll be really looking forward to a Farabee-Frost-Kapanen line.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We can always dump JVR or Voracek when Frost or Farabee are ready.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

So the last thing on the list is a third line right wing. So as mentioned before, we can try to steal Kapanen from Toronto with an offer sheet., With a reasonable contract the compensation is a second round pick, since we dont have that we can give them Haag.

 

That isn't quite the way offer sheets work.  How much were you willing to spend for Kapanen?

 

 

Why would you trade a young good defenseman for a third line player?    And why do you think not one single forward prospect in the Flyers system can earn a spot on the roster this fall?  I think the desire to acquire Sammy's son is more of a "wouldn't it be great if another Kapanen played on the Flyers than an actual need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 Whats a 20 goal scoring winger worth? Three or four million, Toronto cant match and its a second round pick. He isnt really blocking anyone, because right now none of our young wingers are NHL ready and they arent right wingers. I think hes a good option at a low cost. Where else can you get a big speedy winger who scores 20 for a second round pick?I don't care about his father.  We want to compete now, so if any of our other guys look ready after this season you can always trade somebody to make room. As I said there is no superstar scoring machine available that would be worth Ghost but if the Canucks offered Boeser for Ghost i certainly would do it and Jake goes to third line. Not saying it will happen but ... Haag is expendable to make room for Morin. Ghost only for a scoring machine.

Edited by RonJeremy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hf101 said:

 

That isn't quite the way offer sheets work.  How much were you willing to spend for Kapanen?

 

 

Why would you trade a young good defenseman for a third line player?    And why do you think not one single forward prospect in the Flyers system can earn a spot on the roster this fall?  I think the desire to acquire Sammy's son is more of a "wouldn't it be great if another Kapanen played on the Flyers than an actual need.

I actually think 3RW is a need.  And i actually usually forget who Kapanen's dad is. I just really like him. 

 

I don't think we have a ton of options in our system at RW. Not for this year, anyway.   I'm not sure what I think about AK, but I guess at best he's in "show me" territory. I'm skeptical.  Allison isn't ready yet. 

 

I suppose Rubtsov could slide over if he has a really surprising camp, but I'm not bullish.  Yeah, I think we have to look outside. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

 Whats a 20 goal scoring winger worth? Three or four million, Toronto cant match and its a second round pick. He isnt really blocking anyone, because right now none of our young wingers are NHL ready and they arent right wingers. I think hes a good option at a low cost. Where else can you get a big speedy wimger whonscores 20 for a second round pick?I don't care about his father.  We want to compete now, so if any of our other guys look ready after this season you can always trade somebody to make room. As I said there is no superstar scoring machine available that would be worth Ghost but if the Canucks offered Boeser for Ghost i certainly would do it and Jake goes to third line. Not saying it will happen but ...

 

I'd like to see Aube- Kubel get a shot at making the roster.   He put up 16 goals and 30 points in his first season with the Phantoms, so it really isn't out of reach for him to score 20 goals with the Flyers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well this is what is called an executive decision,  we have to offer sheet Kapanen now or the opportunity is gone. You could pencil in Kubel for October but you have no idea if he will make it and if he doesn't make the team, you blew a  big chance. So you go after Kapenen and lets say we get him and Kubel has a monstrous preseason,  you then trade Hartman. Theres always options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Where else can you get a big speedy winger who scores 20

 

Free agency.

 

Gustav Nyquist

Brett Connolly

Justin Williams

Alex Chiasson

Joe Pavelski 

 

Not sure which of them will actually hit the streets but they are the upcoming group you won't have to give a 2nd that they don't have for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

we have to offer sheet Kapanen now or the opportunity is gone.

 

That opportunity is gone. They don't have a 2nd rounder anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

 

Free agency.

 

Gustav Nyquist

Brett Connolly

Justin Williams

Alex Chiasson

Joe Pavelski 

 

Not sure which of them will actually hit the streets but they are the upcoming group you won't have to give a 2nd that they don't have for.

All these guys are 90 years old and probably want more $$ than we woukd pay Kapenen.  Id rather have a young guy that can grow with the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

 

That opportunity is gone. They don't have a 2nd rounder anymore.

Thats why i said offer them Haag, he is worth a second rounder or trade Haag somewhere else get a second rounder and give it to Toronto

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

 

That opportunity is gone. They don't have a 2nd rounder anymore.

Although Justin Williams for a one year deal would be cool...but we really dont have any young right wingers to step in the following year, Kubel is about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

All these guys are 90 years old and probably want more $$ than we woukd pay Kapenen.  Id rather have a young guy that can grow with the team.

 

No.

 

Gustav Nyquist 29

Brett Connolly 27

Justin Williams 37

Alex Chiasson 28

Joe Pavelski 34

 

An offer sheet ain't happening from Philly.

 

So best find another option.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, hello Toronto,  Fletcher here..Im gonna offer sheet Kapanen, id like to work out a deal..Take your pick, Haag or  a second round pick which i will have when i trade Haag somewhere else. So the younger guys you listed didnt become UFA to sign a 2-3 year deal and sign a reasonable deal right, they will be looking for term and $$$. So id opt for Williams for one year or go for a young guy like Kapanen. If  however, we draft that speedy midget goal scorer with our pick, then  i would sign Williams or Pavelski for no more than 2 years until our midget is ready. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Ok, hello Toronto,  Fletcher here..Im gonna offer sheet Kapanen, id like to work out a deal..Take your pick, Haag or  a second round pick which i will have when i trade Haag somewhere else. So the younger guys you listed didnt become UFA to sign a 2-3 year deal and sign a reasonable deal right, they will be looking for term and $$$. So id opt for Williams for one year or go for a young guy like Kapanen. If  however, we draft that speedy midget goal scorer with our pick, then  i would sign Williams or Pavelski for no more than 2 years until our midget is ready. 

 

I would opt for Brett Connolly.

 

I think J Dub stays in Carolina or retires.

 

Nyquist would be my 2nd option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

What kinda $$ and terms you figure they are looking for? We just overpaid for a 7yr deal . Guys who are 27, 28 are looking for 6 year deals generally.  I dont know what their salaries were but obviously they are looking for a nice  raise . It would be cool for Williams to finish up in Philly, he is a true winner and can really show our guys how to be winners too. 

Edited by RonJeremy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

It would be cool for Williams to finish up in Philly, he is a true winner and can really show our guys how to be winners too. 

 

Yes, but then Hextall should have signed him a couple of years ago.  Williams is Captain of the Hurricanes.  I highly doubt he is leaving with the season the Canes had.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

What kinda $$ and terms you figure they are looking for? We just overpaid for a 7yr deal . Guys who are 27, 28 are looking for 6 year deals generally.  I dont know what their salaries were but obviously they are looking for a nice  raise . It would be cool for Williams to finish up in Philly, he is a true winner and can really show our guys how to be winners too. 

 

Not sure but talking to them is free.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hf101 said:

 

I'd like to see Aube- Kubel get a shot at making the roster.   He put up 16 goals and 30 points in his first season with the Phantoms, so it really isn't out of reach for him to score 20 goals with the Flyers.

 

I would too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hf101 said:

Why would you trade a young good defenseman for a third line player?    And why do you think not one single forward prospect in the Flyers system can earn a spot on the roster this fall?  I think the desire to acquire Sammy's son is more of a "wouldn't it be great if another Kapanen played on the Flyers than an actual need.

 

If the Flyers could get Kapanen for Hagg, I would not only drive Hagg to the airport, but I would also pack up his apartment. He was statistically one of the worst defenders in the NHL last year. The only thing Hagg has going for him is that he's big and he hits. He can't handle the puck if his life depended on it. He's a mediocre defensive defensemen as per all of his advanced stats. Hagg is pure garbage and if some team thinks they can turn him into an elite shut down guy, all the more power to them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

Ok, hello Toronto,  Fletcher here..Im gonna offer sheet Kapanen, id like to work out a deal..Take your pick, Haag or  a second round pick which i will have when i trade Haag somewhere else. So the younger guys you listed didnt become UFA to sign a 2-3 year deal and sign a reasonable deal right, they will be looking for term and $$$. So id opt for Williams for one year or go for a young guy like Kapanen. If  however, we draft that speedy midget goal scorer with our pick, then  i would sign Williams or Pavelski for no more than 2 years until our midget is ready. 

 

The contract is designed that Hayes can be traded after year 3. It's actual a well structured contract the Flyers signed him to. And before anyone says "well, he's making more than Couturier", Couturier signed his contract knowing that eventually there would be others that would sign bigger contracts than him. That's the reality of things.

 

In terms of the final move the Flyers make, I don't think Gostisbehere is off the hook just yet. I say that because the right side is now Niskanen/Braun/Meyers. The left side is Provorov/Sanheim/Hagg or Morin. Gostisbehere is clearly the odd man out.

Edited by BobbyClarkeFan16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

 

If the Flyers could get Kapanen for Hagg, I would not only drive Hagg to the airport, but I would also pack up his apartment. He was statistically one of the worst defenders in the NHL last year. The only thing Hagg has going for him is that he's big and he hits. He can't handle the puck if his life depended on it. He's a mediocre defensive defensemen as per all of his advanced stats. Hagg is pure garbage and if some team thinks they can turn him into an elite shut down guy, all the more power to them.

 

I know you don't like Hagg, but if he was paired with a better defenseman I highly doubt he would seem as bad as the season he had last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Gostisbehere is clearly the odd man out.

 

For the right price.

 

And it ain't no 3rd line RW.

 

Or a backup goalie.

 

It better be good.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Most Liked Posts in This Topic

    • 2
      Post
      A guy that hit 20 once, two years ago, just got $7M...   🤣
    • 2
      Post
      Just sign Connolly for 3rw and keep 11th and ghost. Consider selling high on ghost next year or the year after
    • 1
      Post
      I'm completely game.   We're talking about Marner on the other thread--because it's been 5 minutes--but I really think this is more realistic. And i just really like that kid's game.   I'm okay with Kapenan on Patrick's wing, but I'll be really looking forward to a Farabee-Frost-Kapanen line.
    • 1
      Post
      We can always dump JVR or Voracek when Frost or Farabee are ready.
    • 1
      Post
      I hope he's right that they'd rather keep him, and of course, they should listen. I just worry that Fletcher not just loses a Ghost trade, but loses it badly. Not to mention he still has two RFA defencemen not locked up when teams could be lining up to throw around offer sheets (in general, not just at Philly). He could suddenly find himself short all of his puck moving LD (not likely, but possible).   On top of that, moving Ghost means that you have one pair that's fairly inexperience
    • 1
      Post
      At this point, there is really little reason to move him. That's not saying we won't move him, only that there's really no reason to do so.   This off-season has been hard to watch. I went from being ambivalent but hopeful in Fletch's GM abilities to being stressful of what he might do next. Memories of the Homercoaster are flooding in. What wires together, fires together.   Why Hexy had to go and open his mouth, and why he couldn't get rid of the Hak disaster before it was t
×
×
  • Create New...