2019-20 Iowa Wild and Prospects

Mayhew needs to get a shot at NHL. It is demoralizing for the players if they shine in the AHL, and don't even get a chance. If the organisation don't see a way to give him  a good shot at a spot, they should trade him. There should be interested trade partners.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Pronman's Top 72 Players outside the NHL

3 Wild players made this list including (spoiler alert) Matt Boldy.  Not sure I agree with it, but even he agrees the reports are mixed on this guy.  

Pronman was the guy saying not to panic about Boldy not lighting it up in December. He also said if Boldy is continuing to have problems in March, then there may be cause for concern...

I'm waiting for March to roll around to see if he continues to say Boldy is a high end prospect or if he starts waving red flags...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Pronman was the guy saying not to panic about Boldy not lighting it up in December. He also said if Boldy is continuing to have problems in March, then there may be cause for concern...

I'm waiting for March to roll around to see if he continues to say Boldy is a high end prospect or if he starts waving red flags...

The skating is still bad.  I don't think its going to get much better, only hope it happens is because he adds strength.  But I'd find it hard to believe the USNDT didn't emphasize strength training a lot already.  

No points again for Boldy this weekend against UMass-Lowell.  By that same token, McBain and Warren didn't register any points either for BC even though they won both games.  Boldy played on the wing again, with McBain as his center...not many shots either.  I suppose the Boldy lovers will still rationalize this as him just struggling to adjust, blah, blah, blah...

Firstov had two goals last night though...leads UConn in scoring.  Same age, came from the same developmental league playing in their freshman season in the Hockey East Conference...but Boldy is the more promising prospect?!?!  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

No points again for Boldy this weekend against UMass-Lowell.  By that same token, McBain and Warren didn't register any points either for BC even though they won both games.  Boldy played on the wing again, with McBain as his center...not many shots either.  I suppose the Boldy lovers will still rationalize this as him just struggling to adjust, blah, blah, blah...

Firstov had two goals last night though...leads UConn in scoring.  Same age, came from the same developmental league playing in their freshman season in the Hockey East Conference...but Boldy is the more promising prospect?!?!  

I am not sure LIG. Like I said before, something is going on with his mentality to show high level of hockey as well as with his skills during this season. 

Sokolov is continuing to shine for the Iowa Wild team( by having already 11 goals; 5 assists;+/- +10 in 23 played games). He placed 1 single team goal and was #3 star of the previous game and placed 2 goals and was #1 star of the last game. We won that game in OT with a score 4:3.

According to the Iowa Wild main page  -

"Sokolov’s two tallies extended his goal streak to four games and point streak to five, both of which are career-highs for the winger. His four-game goal streak is also tied for the longest active streak in the AHL and since Jan. 11, his five tallies rank second among all skaters in the league."

From the good news also - Mason Shaw had his 1st game in AHL after a long period of rehabilitation from the last year injury which he got during the playoffs time. 

From other news - Gerald Mayhew did not play last 2 games. Is he injured?

20 hours ago, Alexandron said:

I am not sure LIG. Like I said before, something is going on with his mentality to show high level of hockey as well as with his skills during this season. 

Or, maybe he's just not that good?  He wouldn't be the first #mnwild prospect we ever had whose totals were inflated by playing on a really good team.

Sokolov has been playing well lately and showing off his NHL-calibre shot.  Iowa plays Chicago today at Noon which should be a pretty spirited game.    

15 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Or, maybe he's just not that good?  He wouldn't be the first #mnwild prospect we ever had whose totals were inflated by playing on a really good team.

Sokolov has been playing well lately and showing off his NHL-calibre shot.  Iowa plays Chicago today at Noon which should be a pretty spirited game.    

Yeah, agree, that version(he is not as good) regarding Boldy is not excluded too. Will see in a couple of seasons.

Regarding Sokolov - agree too, he is showing his NHL- caliber shot . The valuable part of him, from my observation, he could be very helpful during the crucial moments of the game - PP, OT, SO, which he showed in Iowa.

Problem with both Mayhew and Sokolov is that they probably need a top six line slot. And there just isn't any room for them because of all the NTC/NMC's that exist on the Wild's top six: Zuccarello, Zucker, Parise, Staal, and Koivu. That one last spot is being taken up by Fiala. He's actually producing, so they're not going to move him off his spot with Parise.

Maybe the Wild fall on their face here before the trade deadline and GMBG can move some pieces to make room for these younger guys, but If I know the Wild, they'll start winning here and go on a mini streak that will get them either into the final wild card spot by the trade deadline or within a point. Which means GMBG won't make any moves so as not to upset the team chemistry. 

Or maybe if they are still out of contention guys like Staal will start worrying more about getting traded than putting the puck in the net (like last year) and the whole team will circle the drain and then GMBG will make those moves to give guys like Sokolov and Mayhew a chance...

Iowa Wild team is playing now the afternoon game(01/20/2020) against Texas Stars team. After 30 minutes of game score so far is 0:1. Kahkonen  is in the net. Gerald Mayhew is playing too. Stars team is currently on a six-game win streak, which is the longest active streak in the AHL.

We were able to break Stars 6 games win streak and won this game with a final score 4:2. Kahkonen stopped 29 out of 31 shots on goal towards his net. During this game Mayhew put his 27th goal of this season; J.T. Brown had a winning goal and assist; Menell had 2 assists(total 25 assists) and Anas had an assist too(total 31 assists this season).

Iowa Wild team,unfortunately, lost last game on Wednesday in SO with a score 3:4 against Grand Rapids Griffins. Gerald Mayhew (league-leading in goals) was able to place 2 goals during the game(his 28th and 29th goals of the season), and Menell had 2 assists. Kahkonen stopped  43 out of 47 shots towards his net (his season high in AHL). Anas; Mayhew and Sokolov had a chance to shoot during a shootout time, but only Sokolov was able to place a goal into the Griffins net. 
According to the Iowa Wild news:
" - Forward Gerry Mayhew’s first goal Wednesday set a new franchise record for goals in a single season, breaking the mark he set during the 2018-19 campaign.
- Mayhew’s 29 goals heading into the All-Star Weekend is the most by an AHL skater since Alexandre Giroux’s 34 in 2009 with Hershey.
- Defenseman Brennan Menell earned his 100th career point with an assist Wednesday night."

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Tough way to lose, up by one with less than a minute left.  Grand Rapids' ties it and then they win in a shootout.  Sam Anas got invited to the AHL All Star game along with Brennan Menell and Gerald Mayhew...

Thanks LIG. Sincerely, I am proud for them. They all three merit that invitation by showing an outstanding results for the Iowa Wild team this season.

It’s nice to see the Wild finally leave the Baby Wild alone. Let them gel and develop a winning culture. 

I do feel bad for guys like Mayhew who are playing lights out, but when he had his shot here with the Wild I don’t think he really took advantage of it. Now it may be too late for him. We’ll see after the trade deadline. 

14 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

It’s nice to see the Wild finally leave the Baby Wild alone. Let them gel and develop a winning culture. 

I do feel bad for guys like Mayhew who are playing lights out, but when he had his shot here with the Wild I don’t think he really took advantage of it. Now it may be too late for him. We’ll see after the trade deadline. 

Unfortunately, he was not able to take any advantage here because played a minimal time at the 4th line, but still was able to place 2 goals in 7 Wild games. Some other players from the big club have a hard time to put 2 goals even in 20 games. Actually Mayhew put tonight his 30th goal this season in the win 4:3 against Manitoba Moose team (Mat Robson was in the net). Interesting,   Gerald Mayhew  is now 4 goals behind of the 2009 year record when Alexandre Giroux  scored 34 goals by playing in Hershey team. I am thinking that he has a chance to beat Giroux's 11 years old record and even to reach 40 goals level.

Other good news,  we were able to win a shutout game on Friday against Manitoba Moose team with a minimal score 1:0. Nico Sturm placed a single winning goal from a primary assist of Gerald Mayhew during that game. Kahkonen stopped 33 shots out of 33.