Raffl: "when we play top teams, boys show up"

Jsterry666

14 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Seriously? 🤔

Yes, I don't watch every game  so I'd be happy for you to tell me  about the  games where  you saw poor effort though. 

The Kings game on NYE was bad too, they made some terrible mistakes that resulted in immediate goals early in that one, they seemed a little demoralized. 

The fact that they don't go to the 1974 play book when they are getting beat doesn't constitute poor effort to me though; So we may not be comparing apples to apples either 

4 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Which is also what AV said- the bit about parity. 

It's absolutely true that in any given game any team can beat another team.

But parity with the bubble Habs - and a 4-1 home loss - and OT/shootout regular season wins against the Bruins and Blues are two different things.

Flyers need to "get up" for top teams and eke out regular season moral victories. Blues and Bruins can play below their top game and get points in the standings.

I'm hoping we can see what this team can do in the playoffs. But they're going to need to beat teams below them in the standings to get there. No better example than the Habs who wish they has the six points they gave up to Detroit.

Two Cup Final teams know what it takes to get there and most likely have that extra gear to get to on the way.

A team that hasn't won a playoff series in seven years looks for regular season moral victories and gives up points on the way.

I'm happy to give them credit for the three of four wins against top competition. I'm not giving them an excuse for laying an egg at home  against the Habs.

Thankfully neither is the coach.

And I readily admit that this group doesn't have a long leash with me after the worst decade of hockey in organizational history.

Prove. It.

Edited by radoran
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Yes, I don't watch every game  so I'd be happy for you to tell me  about the  games where  you saw poor effort though

The entire recent west coast trip, to include Hurricanes. They lost 5 out of 6, giving up 5 goals a game. They were projected to beat most of these teams and had several coming off back to backs.

Why do you think we are having this discussion and why Raffl made those comments?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CoachX said:

The entire recent west coast trip, to include Hurricanes. They lost 5 out of 6, giving up 5 goals a game. They were projected to beat most of these teams and had several coming off back to backs.

Lose 5 of 6 against teams they c/should beat. Win 3 of 4 against teams ahead of them. Lose against the Habs.

That's a classic 9 steps back, six steps forward, two steps back.

Overall that's five big points in the standings. That five points is the difference between a guaranteed playoff spot and a bubble wild card team right now.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CoachX said:

It is needed, and i suspect highly unlikely. In fact I think we will see more of the same malaise in play over the next 3 games, with them losing all of them

Classic.

Any other team shuts out one of the best teams:

Their fans: "Plan the parade bitches!" 

Flyers fans: "We're doomed. I want to kill Santa Claus!"

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

Classic.

Any other team shuts out one of the best teams:

Their fans: "Plan the parade bitches!" 

Flyers fans: "We're doomed. I want to kill Santa Claus!"

15 hours ago, CoachX said:

It is needed, and i suspect highly unlikely. In fact I think we will see more of the same malaise in play over the next 3 games, with them losing all of them

I really think coach X is preparing to go pro with his trolling, he's been quite masterful recently.

Just now, mojo1917 said:

I really think coach X is preparing to go pro with his trolling, he's been quite masterful recently.

Yeah, he's being very trolly. I laugh though. It's good material, at least some of it. We're all Flyer fans, as long as we reserve the real hate for Yinzers and Leafs fans, it's all good. 

There is a different lens that we see through though. CoachX's lens is sh!t-stained it appears, you and I a little less so. 

• Like 1

I like to think my lens is like a pair of binoculars, clear, but magnified. Since the Pens got Mario, we have seen them win multiple championships with an endless flow of superstar players. We have managed to not be able to produce the our own superstars who can deliver the same results, even once. Now we have a team that we have watched over the last seven seasons make 3 playoff appearances, all first round losses. The defense has been revamped during that time, but the offensive core has remained. And of course the never ending revolving door of goalies

At this point, you can be optimistic or pessimistic, but I think its obvious and logical to look through whatever lens you chose, to see that this team is not good enough to contend

• Good Post 1