Dougie Hamilton breaks leg

yave1964

A fluke play could prove a disaster for the Carolina hurricanes who are in the middle of the playoff hunt as all star Dougie Hamilton who has been having a career year broke his leg in a game a couple of nights ago against Columbus,

This is huge, Hamilton has been the glue that has kept Carolina in the thick of things with 40 points through 46 games 4th best total among all defenseman. He underwent surgery to repair a fractured Fibula on Friday. So far no timetable has been announced, anywhere from months to the rest of the season are rumored.

Wow, that sucks. I actually like the guy. 

That really does make the playoffs difficult for the Hurricanes. Not impossible, but difficult. 

I guess I can stop sending offers kn fantasy, now. 

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 1

Man, Hamilton really did take that old saying literally, eh? :shifty: 

In all seriousness, this is a big blow for the Canes, though ironically, since the team still does play a complete team game, they should still be in the playoff mix and even be able to do some damage if they do get in.

Obviously the team is better with a Norris trophy candidate on it than without him, but I can see the rest of the Caroline defense picking up the slack (Slavin and Pesce combined maybe can make up for Hamilton's production), and of course, the team rolls 4 legit lines and seems EVERYONE loves shooting the puck.

For Hamilton personally, this is especially horrible.
After years of expectations, moving from team to team, and even some people labeling him a "bust", he finally was putting together a season that showed why people were high on him to begin with.

Hopefully, he can get back soon and then continue what he started either at season's end this year, or at the beginning of next year.
I may not be a Hurricanes fan, but I am a fan of good talent, even if its from an opposing team, and Hamilton definitely started to show he has the chops to be mentioned right up there with the likes of a John Klingberg or even a Victor Hedman as far as offensively gifted defensemen who are pretty well rounded.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

mentioned right up there with the likes of a John Klingberg

I don't comprehend the directional preposition in that sentence. 

IMO, Klingberg has work to do before being mentioned up there with Hamilton. 

5 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Was just trying to come up with defensemen off the top of my head who showcase offensive ability, yet can still do other things really well in other areas.
Not sure what is the deal with the ENTIRE Dallas team (that can be a discussion for another thread), but I get the feeling Klingberg and a few others on there are being held back by either systems being played or misuse in the lineups.

Kling is definitely better than he has shown, still drives possession for his team....but the overall results still aren't there.
Guys like him, Benn, Seguin, Radulov….they don't suddenly 'forget' how to play at a high level. Something is off with that team.
Perhaps at this point in time, Klingberg is a bad example, but even so, I haven't heard him called a 'bust' by anyone, anywhere, whereas with Hamilton, I have heard and read that....albeit, he was proving them wrong this year.

• Good Post 1

@TropicalFruitGirl26

I've always been a Hamilton guy. I have to figure there's something in the locker room with him because--especially in Calgary--he's been good on the ice. Last year was a little off for him, but he was very good the year before. 

The tell for me was going to be next year. I don't know, he seems to have good first years with a team and then falls off. Hard to say now whether whatever happens next year is that phenomena or the leg. 

Edited by ruxpin

3 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

@TropicalFruitGirl26

I've always been a Hamilton guy. I have to figure there's something in the locker room with him because--especially in Calgary--he's been good on the ice. Last year was a little off for him, but he was very good the year before. 

The tell for me was going to be next year for me. I don't know, he seems to have good first years with a team and then falls off. Hard to say now whether whatever happens next year is that phenomena or the leg. 

Good points.

I too have noticed Hamilton makes an initial great first impression with a team, then seems to tail off.
That said, I think things may be different with the Hurricanes. Why?
Well, for one, he is 26 yrs old now. The seemingly traditional age where defensemen are considered "fully mature" at the NHL level.

Also, he has been bounced around from team to team, and I gotta believe people have been in his ear about "look, you gotta be consistent to have a team want to keep you long term", while at the same time, "Ok, ok...but look, Team X, Y, Z, still want you on theirs"
That's gotta be good for his confidence in knowing his skillset is wanted and that it is on HIM to make sure being traded again is not an option.
His maturity now should help in that area.

Finally, the Hurricanes just make playing the games fun!
In Boston, it was all about "shut the other team down, shut the other team down"....granted, that IS a defenseman's job, but I think Hamilton is the type of guy who can play defense, but would also like to showcase himself, his linemates, and play at the other end often too.
In Calgary, there were more offensive opportunities, but in essence, and when at their best, Calgary too is more of a defensive team. Hamilton was let loose more over there, but defensively, that team is still led by guys like Giordano, Brodie, and Hamonic, and those guys, in the big picture, are more about shutting forwards down and hitting.

In Carolina, their defense truly IS a good offense! And I think the way they play is tailor made for a guy like Hamilton.
Like you said, the tell will be next season and what he will look like.
I wouldn't even use the leg as an excuse because by that point he would have had an entire off season and then a following training camp and exhibition season to get up to snuff physically.

It will all be about what he has between the ears and whether or not he truly HAS matured to the point where he can finally be a mainstay with a team, help them to multiple playoff berths, maybe win a title, grab himself some personal hardware along the way, and have fun doing it the whole time.

• Good Post 1

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

I dunno. Klingberg is off lately but has twice come in 6th for the Norris and had a 58 and 67 point season.

Hamilton was showing signs of getting there this year, but Klingberg's overall body of work is above his

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Well, for one, he is 26 yrs old now. The seemingly traditional age where defensemen are considered "fully mature" at the NHL level.

Good post, but this here could be the changing factor.

4 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

@TropicalFruitGirl26

And thanks for not pointing out that this is already his second season in Carolina.  LOL

@J0e Th0rnton

No doubt, but you're not helping my argument.

Well, I DID say he makes good first impressions, then tails off...I never said anything about what season it happens in...2nd, 3rd, just that he does tend to tail off, so pointing out what season Hamilton is in Carolina is basically irrelevant.  :)

Maybe he tails off NEXT season (his 3rd with the Canes)....or maybe the guy we saw this season is the guy he really is....I am banking on the latter.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Well, I DID say he makes good first impressions, then tails off...I never said anything about what season it happens in...2nd, 3rd, just that he does tend to tail off, so pointing out what season Hamilton is in Carolina is basically irrelevant

No, but sadly I did.

But yeah, your wording was better because he does seem to make a good first impression and then tail off.  Like you said, when that happens doesn't really make a difference.

And Joe is right that Klingberg has had better numbers.   I'm with you about Dallas.  It has to be system or style of play or whatever. 

• Like 1

Klingberg and Dallas.

The Stars have put together a different team, in an age where teams are going run and gun,  fast style, speed and youth is the end all and be all the Stars are an exception. They have put together a highly skilled but veteran team, a half a step slower than most of the league but they play a defensive first style, an amazing duo in net, defenseman who are skilled who play defense first and every forward must play a 200 foot game. It has worked for decades, as more and more teams forget that style and go young fast but inexperienced the Stars have actually become a bit of a relic playing old school hockey. Heiskanen and Klingberg have suffered a bit statistically because of it as have Seguin, Benn, Radulov, Hintz, ect… but they are one of the toughest outs in the game. I know this thread was/is about Hamilton but with Klingberg being brought up I wanted to get my two cents in, the Stars have become my adopted Western conference team this year, it is good seeing these kids frustrated by a disciplined team that values winning as a team over individual statistics. Klingberg is IMHO example A of this.

• Like 1