The Minnesota Wild Sign Kirill Kaprizov to 2-year deal

And how about a historic NHL legend 42 y.o. Pavel Datsyuk (drafted in 1998 year in the round 6 ; #171 overall by Detroit Red Wings) who is having multiple(18) awards in his career and he still is playing in KHL as a forward- captain of Avtomobilist Yekaterinburg team (in 51 played games this season had 35 points( 12 goals;23 assists;+/- +12) and in 4 Gagarin playoffs games this year he had 2 assists). Here is a description about him written by Matias Strozyk in 2012 :

"A fantastic offensive player with excellent two-way skills. Very useful on both powerplay and penalty-kill. Datsyuk is extremely skilled with the puck and a supreme stickhandler and passer. A first-class set-up man and strong skater. Sometimes has issues with large defensemen due to his relatively small stature but is capable of protecting the puck and himself thanks to balance and natural skill. "

Is  a similar characteristics having a Kirill Kaprizov ? Absolutely. Kaprizov is like an identical copy of Datsyuk playing for our team. Hope, he will get in his career as many awards as Datsyuk or at least a half.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, lynxrattle said:

A very good article by Tony Abbott, thanks for that. Hopefully any Calder voters will read it! LeBrun's tweet looks silly now.

Probably pissed that Lafrenière is still struggling and won't get the Calder. Stützle, Suter and even Kurashev are way ahead of him.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

6 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

If someone were to continue with the BS, he/she'd probably like to know why the heck was he selected ONLY in the 5th round? By any team.

Someone noticed he was worth a pick guys slip by every year like said late bloomers lots of reasons teams pass on a guy. 

2 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

A very good article by Tony Abbott, thanks for that. Hopefully any Calder voters will read it! LeBrun's tweet looks silly now.

And yeah Datsyuk is very similar to Kaprizov!

2 hours ago, Alexandron said:

And how about a historic NHL legend 42 y.o. Pavel Datsyuk (drafted in 1998 year in the round 6 ; #171 overall by Detroit Red Wings) who is having multiple(18) awards in his career and he still is playing in KHL as a forward- captain of Avtomobilist Yekaterinburg team (in 51 played games this season had 35 points( 12 goals;23 assists;+/- +12) and in 4 Gagarin playoffs games this year he had 2 assists). Here is a description about him written by Matias Strozyk in 2012 :

"A fantastic offensive player with excellent two-way skills. Very useful on both powerplay and penalty-kill. Datsyuk is extremely skilled with the puck and a supreme stickhandler and passer. A first-class set-up man and strong skater. Sometimes has issues with large defensemen due to his relatively small stature but is capable of protecting the puck and himself thanks to balance and natural skill. "

Is  a similar characteristics having a Kirill Kaprizov ? Absolutely. Kaprizov is like an identical copy of Datsyuk playing for our team. Hope, he will get in his career as many awards as Datsyuk or at least a half.

Hes a good comparison it would be great if Kaprizov has a career like Datsyuk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Math said:

Probably pissed that Lafrenière is still struggling and won't get the Calder. Stützle, Suter and even Kurashev are way ahead of him.

Your more then likely right

And yeah Datsyuk is very similar to Kaprizov!

Yes he is now to get a couple of players to go with hi

6 hours ago, Bear said:

Hes a good comparison it would be great if Kaprizov has a career like Datsyuk

If he follows that path he could be valuable to the Wild even past his career as a scout. I'd imagine he would have the nose for sniffing out some hidden treasures from Russian juniors.

• Like 1

If he follows that path he could be valuable to the Wild even past his career as a scout. I'd imagine he would have the nose for sniffing out some hidden treasures from Russian juniors.

Or at least to take care about a hidden treasure in the Iowa Wild team , a natural sniper Dmitrii Sokolov who was producing about 40-50 goals for 2 seasons in a row in OHL when played together with Andrei Svechnikov. I think Kaprizov could provide Sokolov with a perfect assists for sniper shots plus a language barrier will be minimal for building a strong chemistry among them and Zuccarello. I am waiting for Sokolov tryout in the big club. Why not?

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

6 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Or at least to take care about a hidden treasure in the Iowa Wild team , a natural sniper Dmitrii Sokolov who was producing about 40-50 goals for 2 seasons in a row in OHL when played together with Andrei Svechnikov. I think Kaprizov could provide Sokolov with a perfect assists for sniper shots plus a language barrier will be minimal for building a strong chemistry among them and Zuccarello. I am waiting for Sokolov tryout in the big club. Why not?

Wouldnt hurt to give him a chance to see what they could do together Sokolov is running out of time here.

• Like 1

Definitely a must try it situation. Our organisation has been too old school. The NHL has changed a lot and we need to find ways of quickly finding the right players from the lower leagues. We are an organisation that trades away Tuch without realising the potential. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bear said:

Wouldnt hurt to give him a chance to see what they could do together Sokolov is running out of time here.

Completely agree. It would not hurt at all to give him a try together with Kaprizov and maybe will get some tricks out of him too. Kirill could be a very nice teacher. Agree also -  time is running extremely fast for the youngsters as well as for us (fans) too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lynxrattle said:

Definitely a must try it situation. Our organisation has been too old school. The NHL has changed a lot and we need to find ways of quickly finding the right players from the lower leagues. We are an organisation that trades away Tuch without realising the potential. 

Sad truth. Without of enough tryout we are not able to find a treasure. Personally , for me, if the player in his young career netted more than 30-35 goals in one season, then we should merit our careful attention to his future potential by a tryout in the big club.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, lynxrattle said:

And Leddy...

:bonkingheadonwall:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

Sad truth. Without of enough tryout we are not able to find a treasure. Personally , for me, if the player in his young career netted more than 30-35 goals in one season, then we should merit our careful attention to his future potential by a tryout in the big club.

A tryout and maybe a tryout where the player is put into the role he is hoped to fulfil. A hoped for scorer would get games in the 1st line and then 2nd line and PP as well. If they put the player into a grinder role, they'll grind and we'll never see if the scoring ability is there.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2021 at 9:50 AM, lynxrattle said:

A tryout and maybe a tryout where the player is put into the role he is hoped to fulfil. A hoped for scorer would get games in the 1st line and then 2nd line and PP as well. If they put the player into a grinder role, they'll grind and we'll never see if the scoring ability is there.

Completely agree with that point. Sniper should be more a sniper and grinder should be more a grinder. Sometimes we need to sacrifice a grinder's role towards a sniper's goals. Selection must be more careful in these directions. It is an art to find the right one.  

1 hour ago, Alexandron said:

An interesting article came up today on ESPN  how Kaprizov is transforming the Wild team, which is very similar to the Capitals team when Ovechkin arrived. Dean Evason was the witness of that transformation then.  

https://www.espn.com/nhl/insider/story/_/id/31071980/how-sensational-kirill-kaprizov-transformed-minnesota-wild

Lots of interesting stuff in this article. Fletcher tells that Flahr was the guy wanting to draft 97, Guerin tells what 97 answered when asked if he wants to have a Russian player to help in him adjusting to the NHL...

Edited by lynxrattle
Added impressions on the article

• 2 weeks later...

I found at Russo twit a Kaprizov personal practicing with Zuccarello on redirecting pucks in shots on goal. Nice. Hopefully, they will be successful during the games too. Maybe they will involve Rask  also in their practicing? I have seen recently a successful double redirection  of the puck into the net in regulation during the watching some highlights from other divisions .

• Like 2

It seems other teams utilize deflections and shotpasses all the time. It would be interesting to see some stats, if the Wild really is late on that party. Whatever the truth is I feel we should emphasize deflections, shotpasses and shooting at the skates (you can redirect, even if you can't kick) a lot more.

I saw that practice video too. Kaprizov hit those pucks easily. Easier in a practice like that, than in a game, of course.

• Like 2

On 3/26/2021 at 12:46 PM, lynxrattle said:

It seems other teams utilize deflections and shotpasses all the time. It would be interesting to see some stats, if the Wild really is late on that party. Whatever the truth is I feel we should emphasize deflections, shotpasses and shooting at the skates (you can redirect, even if you can't kick) a lot more.

I saw that practice video too. Kaprizov hit those pucks easily. Easier in a practice like that, than in a game, of course.

Agree, from my observation, deflections are one of the main key of winning games, especially during playoffs of the modern professional hockey.