Jump to content

HF.net Conn Smythe FHL - Official 2021 Season Thread


Recommended Posts

  • 1 month later...
13 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Heyyyyy.....where are the chatters????  

 

 

Where have all the chatters gone?
Long time passing.
Where have all the chatters gone?
Long time ago.

 

 

Doesn't quite have the same ring to it, huh?

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

 

 

Where have all the chatters gone?
Long time passing.
Where have all the chatters gone?
Long time ago.

 

 

Doesn't quite have the same ring to it, huh?

 

Definitely not. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Allllrighty then....not that anyone is talking on this thread (Cmon Conn Smythers.....WTH are ya? )
But, we have a trade to report....
Between the newly minted Bronze Owls and Puttin On The Foil (yea, I know... The Foil in a trade...shocking stuff....) :shifty: 

Owls get:
G--Braden Holtby

Foil gets:
G--Tristan Jarry
D- Jake Muzzin (IR)


I think the goalie swap was more about which GM liked which goalie more.

Looking at the numbers, both goalies are actually running about the same....with Jarry trending upwards a bit lately, and Holtby continuing to underperform (or he is performing where he should be, according to some).

Personally, I don't trust the Penguin defense, nor do I buy into Jarry being a full time starter, especially behind a poor defense.
Again, he and his defense have looked better as of late, and I am thinking The Foil are banking on that is who they really are.

Holtby has been a massive disappointment thus far, but I am clinging to the belief that he CAN do more and even if it looks like the Canucks will miss the playoffs, VAN will spike at some point, play to their abilities (whole damned team seems to be underperforming), and they can at least finish strong, helping the Owls late in the FHL season.

Owls seem to be in pretty good shape in most areas (previous management looks like they did a good job), so all that is going on now with the team is Yours Truly putting her personal touch on things.....and hopefully not break anything. :bigteeth: 

Jake Muzzin was thrown in the deal as a bonus..... his future with the Owls wasn't too bright as the team has tons of defenseman that can pretty much do what he can....on the flipside, once he recovers, the Foil may end up with a nice solid, all around defender playing on a highly offensive (in more ways than one... lol) Toronto team.


 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Allllrighty then....not that anyone is talking on this thread (Cmon Conn Smythers.....WTH are ya? )
But, we have a trade to report....
Between the newly minted Bronze Owls and Puttin On The Foil (yea, I know... The Foil in a trade...shocking stuff....) :shifty: 

Owls get:
G--Braden Holtby

Foil gets:
G--Tristan Jarry
D- Jake Muzzin (IR)


I think the goalie swap was more about which GM liked which goalie more.

Looking at the numbers, both goalies are actually running about the same....with Jarry trending upwards a bit lately, and Holtby continuing to underperform (or he is performing where he should be, according to some).

Personally, I don't trust the Penguin defense, nor do I buy into Jarry being a full time starter, especially behind a poor defense.
Again, he and his defense have looked better as of late, and I am thinking The Foil are banking on that is who they really are.

Holtby has been a massive disappointment thus far, but I am clinging to the belief that he CAN do more and even if it looks like the Canucks will miss the playoffs, VAN will spike at some point, play to their abilities (whole damned team seems to be underperforming), and they can at least finish strong, helping the Owls late in the FHL season.

Owls seem to be in pretty good shape in most areas (previous management looks like they did a good job), so all that is going on now with the team is Yours Truly putting her personal touch on things.....and hopefully not break anything. :bigteeth: 

Jake Muzzin was thrown in the deal as a bonus..... his future with the Owls wasn't too bright as the team has tons of defenseman that can pretty much do what he can....on the flipside, once he recovers, the Foil may end up with a nice solid, all around defender playing on a highly offensive (in more ways than one... lol) Toronto team.


 

I am playing you this week and getting crushed in a few cats that I always win. You definitely inherited a solid club and when you put your signature spin upon it I feel confident you are definitely going to be right there until the end.

 

  I like Jarry a bit better, agreed about the Pens defense still waiting on Burke and company to do their first deal. Muzzin was at best an afterthought, I alrealy have Reilly and dont really like two defenders from the same team.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

I am playing you this week and getting crushed in a few cats that I always win. You definitely inherited a solid club and when you put your signature spin upon it I feel confident you are definitely going to be right there until the end.

 

It is bitter sweet .... @TropicalFruitGirl26 is going to give us fits for the rest of the season.  I agree she inherited a strong club.  My son was in tears when I had to take his team away from him.  He was excited to be matched up against you.  He knows about TFG and is happy in a sense that a very seasoned FHL GM took over his team.  He told me he will be rooting for TFG for the rest of the season.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

 

It is bitter sweet .... @TropicalFruitGirl26 is going to give us fits for the rest of the season.  I agree she inherited a strong club.  My son was in tears when I had to take his team away from him.  He was excited to be matched up against you.  He knows about TFG and is happy in a sense that a very seasoned FHL GM took over his team.  He told me he will be rooting for TFG for the rest of the season.

Yay!
I have fans! 😃

You can tell him I will do my absolute best.... the team will be treated with the same importance and will to win as my regular teams in other leagues.

And between you and I, Doc, I hope whatever the reason was for his suspension, he learns, maybe can come back next season, and maybe even retake the team again....perhaps it even gets promoted to All Stars and he can play against the big boys there!

I will be more than happy to try and get the team high up in the standings, get promoted to The ASL, win it all if I can, and turn the reigns back over to him if you see fit that to be a possibility.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

I am playing you this week and getting crushed in a few cats that I always win. You definitely inherited a solid club and when you put your signature spin upon it I feel confident you are definitely going to be right there until the end.

 

  I like Jarry a bit better, agreed about the Pens defense still waiting on Burke and company to do their first deal. Muzzin was at best an afterthought, I alrealy have Reilly and dont really like two defenders from the same team.

 

 

And you know, it isn't lost on me at all that the two GMs directly in front of me are you and Doc!
Because I play you guys in the other leagues, I realize you two are NO minor league also-rans...haha...

And because I have an almost male-like competitiveness about me, that doesn't sit well. I MUST have 1st place!   :biggrin: 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

BTW, guys...

Who else is in Conn Smythe who is also on this site?

I know AKOF, Doc, Yave, FD, myself...that's five.
Don't know the rest...at least, I don't think I do.

 

Hale (Funky Cold Zdina) is helping out ....he is in All Star and NAHANA.

Klomas98 (though he is hardly ever active on here) he is Ice Capades ...

 

everyone else is a causal GM 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Yay!
I have fans! 😃

You can tell him I will do my absolute best.... the team will be treated with the same importance and will to win as my regular teams in other leagues.

And between you and I, Doc, I hope whatever the reason was for his suspension, he learns, maybe can come back next season, and maybe even retake the team again....perhaps it even gets promoted to All Stars and he can play against the big boys there!

I will be more than happy to try and get the team high up in the standings, get promoted to The ASL, win it all if I can, and turn the reigns back over to him if you see fit that to be a possibility.

 

Without going into details, he made an egregious mistake by hiding certain online actions from his mom and I. He had a similar incident last year and he was strongly warned with moderate consequences.  His mother and I simply could not overlook his actions from the other evening.  

 

Based on how he was doing this year, I strongly believed his team was constructed good enough to finish top 6 and be asked into the ALL STAR for next year.

 

As his parent I am hoping he as learned his lesson and will regain some trust in the eyes of both my wife and myself.  I will cross that bridge in September to see if he he plays again.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

 

Without going into details, he made an egregious mistake by hiding certain online actions from his mom and I. He had a similar incident last year and he was strongly warned with moderate consequences.  His mother and I simply could not overlook his actions from the other evening.  

 

Based on how he was doing this year, I strongly believed his team was constructed good enough to finish top 6 and be asked into the ALL STAR for next year.

 

As his parent I am hoping he as learned his lesson and will regain some trust in the eyes of both my wife and myself.  I will cross that bridge in September to see if he he plays again.  

 

Say no more.
I hear ya loud n clear.

My just turned 14 year old is quite the challenge himself.
Things that were easy to deal with, discipline-wise due to behavior, aren't so cut n dry anymore.
We try to deal fairly with him, but when certain things are done, action has to be taken, no matter how much griping he does.

Also makes it weirder that last summer, he passed me in height (not that its a great feat to do so, seeing as I stand only 5'5), so now, he is at about 5'6+ and growing, and I have to get up on my toes a bit to look him right in the face when I am unhappy about something he did. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

My just turned 14 year old is quite the challenge himself.

 your son is 1 year younger than mine .....Mine will turn 13 in May and academically far exceeds his peers.  That is part of the problem.... he routinely outscores his peers in academics and has grown a big head and thinks he knows everything. (common theme among teens today)  Essentially he acts like he is 17 or 18 in a 13 year old body.  So yup... I totally understand your POV.  However .... despite what he did .... I love him to pieces.  Hence the reason this hurts so much.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We raised seven, the YOUNGEST is 19 attending college at Miami of Ohio (same as one of her sisters did). THANK GOD we are past the teen stuff. Actually, other than teen angst we only had one who was a massive problem who said she hated us and couldnt wait to get away. The funny thing, she and her husband bought their home almost in our backyard, our grandkids walk over whenever they want. In other words the one who couldnt wait to get away is the one we cannot get rid of, lol. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ice Capades is hilarious , send him a trade offer he always responds with some of the funniest stuff. We have done a deal or two over the years from when he was in all star and chatted a bit in here even without a trade coming together he is a funny dude.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

We raised seven, the YOUNGEST is 19 attending college at Miami of Ohio (same as one of her sisters did). THANK GOD we are past the teen stuff. Actually, other than teen angst we only had one who was a massive problem who said she hated us and couldnt wait to get away. The funny thing, she and her husband bought their home almost in our backyard, our grandkids walk over whenever they want. In other words the one who couldnt wait to get away is the one we cannot get rid of, lol. 

 

That's enough for almost a top nine for hockey!
Certainly a full defense core with an extra :bigteeth: 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Ice Capades is hilarious , send him a trade offer he always responds with some of the funniest stuff. We have done a deal or two over the years from when he was in all star and chatted a bit in here even without a trade coming together he is a funny dude.

 

 

I remember Ice Capades as being Bambi On Ice from years past.
He probably won't deal with me.

My rookie year in FHL, playing in one of the minor leagues Doc had set up through ESPN, he was the odds no favorite to win, smashed through everyone in the regular season, talked a bit of trash....then I go and beat him in the Finals winning my lone FHL title.  :rolleyes:

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

 

That's enough for almost a top nine for hockey!
Certainly a full defense core with an extra :bigteeth: 

The youngest lives on campus and her sorority is literally right across the street from Cady Arena where they play Hockey and she is a HUGE hockey fan. I told her that next year when Covid is over she has to meet and date a hockey player who goes to the NHL. No pressure.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

My rookie year in FHL, playing in one of the minor leagues Doc had set up through ESPN

 

OMG ..ESPN platform ....that is like years ago ...... have we really been doing this that long! LOL

 

EDIT: my lone championship was when we were still on CBS Fantasy Hockey.....that was like 2013 ......

 

Edited by pilldoc
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

 

OMG ..ESPN platform ....that is like years ago ...... have we really been doing this that long! LOL

 

EDIT: my lone championship was when we were still on CBS Fantasy Hockey.....that was like 2013 ......

 

 

Yea, I remember when I was first invited to try fantasy hockey by you and Hf.
I was very skeptical, thought it was silly even.

Then I gave it a shot and it became quite addicting.
The old ESPN board where we used the point system (+3 for goals, 0.2 for face offs, etc).

I remember watching the scoreboards from our leagues and depending on what was going on in games, the numbers and colors would light up like a pinball machine on my screen!  :bigteeth: 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Trade to announce!!

DARTH CHILD RECEIVES

Mike Smith

Timo Meier

Ryan McDonough

 

FOIL RECEIVE

Mikael Granlund

Sam Reinhart

Ryan Pullock

 

I have a glut of goaltending and Smith has been lights out but makes me nervous with his injury historyand the defense in front of him. Still, he is the prime add of the deal. Both Meier and McDonough were waiver adds I was streaming but both are servicable.

 

 Granlund is a faceoff machine who scoresa bit and qualifies at the wing and center, Reinhart has always since his first day in the league been a second half monster so I am gambling on him. Pullock is one of those underrated players who scores a little but gets a nice combo of shots/hits/blocks.

 

 Full disclosure I was trying for Kuznetsov but that was a non starter for Darth, he replaced him with Reinhart and I decided to pull the trigger. Wishing him luck with Smith hoping he continues his monster year for him but I am pleased with the depth I added.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yave robs...errrr, pulls off another deal! :ph34r:

I too believe Pullock may be the best player you got from that deal. Underrated indeed.
If the Sabres ever pull their horns out of their bisons, Reinhart may be a decent add as well.
Granlund...well, I like Granny actually, but his fantasy value has been spotty at best.

For Darth, Timo Meier seems to be heating up.
I almost added him myself, but still not sold on the Sharks as a whole.
Smith is good as long as he is healthy, but I think EVERYONE knows that by now.
McDonagh is good for peripherals and is one of those players that is MUCH better on the real team than he is on a fantasy one.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Aaaand another trade

 

pa40 flyers fan receives

 

Pavelski

Weber

 

foil receive

Doughty

Josh Anderson

Gudas

 

He wanted faceoffs and scoring, I wanted depth and hits/ a bit of everything. Both got what we wanted.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Trade Report:

Bronze Owls get:
LW - Jonathan Huberdeau (FLA)
G  - Jake Allen (MON)

Darth Child gets:
C - Vincent Trocheck (CAR)

 

 

The Owls and the Darths went back n forth a little bit as I wasn't in a hurry to trade Trocheck.
He IS the best player in the deal, however, while he hits many categories, I feel I have enough overall on the team to cover him, especially in goals and faceoffs, and I think Huberdeau will help my PP numbers a bit more as well as add on to my assist totals which seem to be a notch below elite.
Trocheck obviously, upgrades the Darths in a few categories.

Huberdeau alone, as good as I think he is, would not have done it for Troch, so in comes Jake Allen, super backup, to upgrade me from Detroit's Jonathan Bernier.
Since the Owls carry 4 goalies (Varlamov/Sorokin, Holtby, Allen), Allen simply has to perform well whenever the Habs give him a start, which he has been doing.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...