What is wrong with the Flyers and how do you fix it?

Fizz

12 hours ago, ruxpin said:

There is zero chance the flyers buyout Myers.  It's utter nonsense.  Trade him?  Sure.  Not my first choice, but sure.  But buyout makes no sense on any level.   

I prefer to go after a Cup winner than Jones...

They need a physical presence back there to when Morin isn't dressed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I prefer to go after a Cup winner than Jones...

They need a physical presence back there to when Morin isn't dressed.

and IF Morin dresses regularly?

I read that article that says Larson is a pretty good option. I mean, if you just want a defenseman who won a cup, there's Luke Schenn

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoachX said:

I just don't think the Flyer brass think that of Sam...as much as we like him.

2 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I read that article that says Larson is a pretty good option.

I read he was wanting to sign with Vancouver. But yeah i would take him in the top 4 for the right price.

3 minutes ago, CoachX said:

if you just want a defenseman who won a cup, there's Luke Schenn

Yeah Luke let's sign him because that is ALL i want a guy who has won a Cup. That is it just one box to check off is how you read that?? SMFH.

:bonkingheadonwall:

• Haha 1

I've been thinking about this, and I think signing a guy of Nisky's caliber would be the best. I just don't know who that is. So if they pass on Jones, and Hamilton, and get a Larson, or Savard, or whoever, as long as he is a top pair guy, things will stabilize. I just don't think Myers and Sanheim will suck that bad again. I think Morin can be a regular, barring injury. Hopefully York comes up and Braun goes AWAY

I also think Hart bounces back

But GUT the ever living hell out of that offense

36 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I read that article that says Larson is a pretty good option. I mean, if you just want a defenseman who won a cup, there's Luke Schenn

This is actually how I feel about Savard.   When I'm looking for Cup winner,  I mean someone that was an integral part of the team, was through the whole season, understood the ups and downs of a winning culture, etc.   Not a Johnny-Come-Lately who came from a loser organization at the deadline and --while an important add on--was just "also there."

I want to import culture, and I'm not sure 3 months (even on a winner) meets that criteria.   While Schenn was there longer, I don't think he qualifies in that I want the person with cup-winning pedigree to be top 4.    They don't have to be top pair (preferable, obviously) and I only need middle 6 on the forward lines, but 3rd pair and a long career of "Ooph!' doesn't do it for me.

I think Savard checks some other boxes and in absence of what I'm describing I'd settle for him if it's not expensive, but I'll view it as settling.   IMO, much better than Gus at this point.   Maybe better than Braun.  Maybe.

The comparison to Jones.     Eh, poe-tay-toe/pattatta, but Savard at least has the winning cup of coffee and likely doesn't gut my team.  I can then gut the team more wisely on other priorities.

Edited by ruxpin
  • Good Post 2

@OccamsRazor

I'll tell  you what really bothers me about Savard, aside from what I just wrote to Coach.

He was -8 in 14 games in Tampa.  With Vasilevskiy in net behind him.    That's simply unacceptable.   I don't think he's much better than Braun, actually, and with the exception of the last 3 months has a lesser resume than Braun.    He gets you some physical, but I think the opposition will just skate around him if they have any wheels.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

@OccamsRazor

I'll tell  you what really bothers me about Savard, aside from what I just wrote to Coach.

He was -8 in 14 games in Tampa.  With Vasilevskiy in net behind him.    That's simply unacceptable.   I don't think he's much better than Braun, actually, and with the exception of the last 3 months has a lesser resume than Braun.    He gets you some physical, but I think the opposition will just skate around him if they have any wheels.

The plus minus in regular season while trying to adjust to a new team and partner isn't a concern.

However if you are going to note it can you acknowledge his even in 20 playoff games while giving Sergachev a very good partner going against the other teams top and 2nd lines.

I mean Hedman only finished +1.

Savard can do the same i think for Travis Sanheim being able to get him going offensively while giving him a partner to hold down the fort when he pinches.

And if you want make Tampa an offer for Cernak before they lose him for nothing to Seattle to try and slot beside Ivan he finished +12.

Regardless i think the Flyers could use two defesnemen...Savard and Martinez might work too.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

However if you are going to note it can you acknowledge his even in 20 playoff games while giving Sergachev a very good partner going against the other teams top and 2nd lines.

Yeah, I can definitely acknowledge that.   I think that's actually fair.  And I'm not going to hold his +/- in Columbus against him.  Just a disaster of a team there and the goalies were terrible (I had one in fantasy hockey and dropped him quicker than...well, faster than guys I actually like.  Anyone who's in the fantasy leagues with me know I go through players faster than Burger King goes through drive thru people.

• Like 1

@OccamsRazor

Am I understanding that you value Savard as a suitable partner for Sanheim? Um, yeah, I don't thnik you will ever see that winning cup with the team making those moves. They need to bring in a guy to pair with Provy, and hopefully for multiple years

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah, I can definitely acknowledge that.   I think that's actually fair.  And I'm not going to hold his +/- in Columbus against him.  Just a disaster of a team there and the goalies were terrible (I had one in fantasy hockey and dropped him quicker than...well, faster than guys I actually like.  Anyone who's in the fantasy leagues with me know I go through players faster than Burger King goes through drive thru people.

uh isn't Jones on that team? So his suk isn't a by product of anything team related, it just IS

1 minute ago, CoachX said:

Am I understanding that you value Savard as a suitable partner for Sanheim?

Yes absolutely. If you want a deep playoff stabilizing the 2nd pair is huge.

Think about this where would Tampa be without Mcdonagh and Cernak?? Seems like Hedman and Rutta get all the credit but McD and Cernak did a lot of heavy lifting.

And Savard helped stabilize the bottom pair and he and Sergachev looked very good together.

4 minutes ago, CoachX said:

They need to bring in a guy to pair with Provy, and hopefully for multiple years

This is where i said Martinez comes in....you said you want a guy like Nisky. Well to me this guy is the closest out there that i see without a trade. Who knows how much better Vegas would have been had he not been playing with a broken foot.

So basically two guys you can add by just offering them contracts....no crazy trades.

Provorov - Martinez

Sanheim - Savard

York - Myers

Morin

And if you want to get really crazy you could throw a huge package together for Barkov....

Patrick, Myers, 2021 1st Andrea and Ratcliffe....just putting something on paper for example only.

• Like 2

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

Provorov - Martinez

Sanheim - Savard

York - Myers

Morin

I'm fine with this.  I'm also fine with flipping Sanheim and York.

I actually think Sanheim/Myers on the third pair would be a really deep, solid team--so long as we have two strong pairs above it. 

I like some of the guys like Zamulov and some others that are waiting in the wings, but I'm thinking maybe they become trade chips in this scenario.

On the other hand, if you bring in Martinez to pair with Provy and Jones slots in next to York, that's a pretty cool defense, too.   Just more expensive.

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

I've been thinking about this, and I think signing a guy of Nisky's caliber would be the best.

Hello Mcfly....you literally said it an hour ago...are you drinking already???

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

I'm fine with this.  I'm also fine with flipping Sanheim and York.

I actually think Sanheim/Myers on the third pair would be a really deep, solid team--so long as we have two strong pairs above it. 

I like some of the guys like Zamulov and some others that are waiting in the wings, but I'm thinking maybe they become trade chips in this scenario.

On the other hand, if you bring in Martinez to pair with Provy and Jones slots in next to York, that's a pretty cool defense, too.   Just more expensive.

JONES?!

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I actually think Sanheim/Myers on the third pair would be a really deep

I just don't think these two need to play together.

At least until Myers sorts out his decision making issues. Myers has all the tools to succeed he just needs to think smarter and process quicker and maybe he starts to play to expectations.

But honestly i am open to trying anything to get this defense to do one thing very good first and foremost.

PLAYING DEFENSE!!!!! This is what Tampa did so well. The whole team forwards too.

This is paramount to helping their young goaltender.

Do this first and i think the offense will come.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

I just don't think these two need to play together.

Remember when we were all saying that they have to play together?    Good times.

I don't disagree with you; it's just the irony of it all.