Offseason power ranking:

yave1964

13 hours ago, Imran Awan said:

Penguins. Stanley Cup Champions did not have to rebuild, they returned everyone including Schultz on a cheap contract.

Welcome, my best friend is from Turkey. Great to have you.

On 7/17/2016 at 6:39 PM, yave1964 said:

After the draft and the free agent frenzy, here is my power ranking, counting down from 30 to 1:

30) Senators. did absolutely zero to fix their defensive depth.

29) Canucks. At sea without a clue. Signing Eriksson gives them the softest top line in the game.

28) Leafs. But with Marner, Nylander and Matthews they are on the right track.

27) Coyotes. I like their draft but they are a long way from contending.

26) Avalanche. Faded badly to miss the playoffs, did nothing to get better.

25) Devils. Got Hall and resigned Palmieri but still too many holes.

24) Jackets. Did nothing in the offseason but lots of young talent.

23) Sabres. Okposo nice signing but nothing in net slows the growth.

22) Bruins. Backes for Eriksson is at best a wash, no depth on defense dooms team.

21)  Jets. They are set to soar with depth everywhere but need to see it before moving them up.

20) Red Wings. Replaced Datsyuk with older forwards, did absolutely nothing to fix glaring weakness on back end.

19) Wild. Staal sounds motivated to fill crater at 1C. Has been lousy for 3 years.

18) Flames. Had as good of an offseason as any team in the game and could make giant leap.

17) Oilers. They lost Hall but adding Larsson, Lucic and Puljujarvi gives the needed depth. Playoff contender.

16) Rangers. Lost Staal, Stallberg and Yandle, adding nothing. They are in clear decline.

15) Hurricanes. Slowly the forwards are catching up with the brilliant young defense. Should be a playoff team this year.

14) Kings. Lost Lucic added nobody. No cap room.

13) Canadiens. That is if Price is healthy, if he misses time they are still bottom five.

12) Hawks. No depth. Zero. Nada. If one or two of big 5 break down will be much lower.

11) Sharks. Cup hangover is a real thing and they were 6th in West last year and caught lightning in the postseason.

10) Flyers. Strong finish, more kids on the back end, Weise and Gordon fix glaring holes.

9) Islanders. Relying on kids to step up to replace Okposo. Aging goalies are worrisome.

8) Blues. Not as deep losing Brouwer and Backes and Elliot but still have tons of talent.

7) Predators. Pushed eventual conference champ Sharks to 7 games. Subban and Johansen bring energy.

6) Stars. No goalies but deep everywhere else.

5) Ducks. Someone has to be the best in West by default.

4) Panthers. Brilliant offseason, division champ 10 percent better.

3) Capitals. Leagues best regular season team returns everyone they wanted to. Still in the conversation as leagues best.

2) Tampa. The gold standard for team building from within. The next five years they are going to be in the top 5 teams every year.

1) Penguins. Stanley Cup Champions did not have to rebuild, they returned everyone including Schultz on a cheap contract.

At first glance, a real solid job. Disagree with a few of them, but on a whole, nice work. I feel the Leafs will be middle of the pack, increased scoring, better goaltending, if they can put a mobile defense in place, they might just be a playoff team. The Devils will be in the mix. Adding Hall at the same time as Henrique is due to have his best point producing year makes the top pp very dangerous. They will be responsible and play a tight game, depending on special teams to win games. Habs have a shot at being top 10 if Price is ok ...adding Shaw and Weber to a team that went 10-0 to start last year when Carey was healthy....that should not be overlooked.

Yes FC is right. The Turkish flag the star is on the side with the cresent opening on the side. They are real similar. 

But welcome here anyways.

Never been to Pakistan but i've been to Turkey.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/17/2016 at 6:39 PM, yave1964 said:

4) Panthers. Brilliant offseason, division champ 10 percent better.

Id say way to hi for my Cats. Yandle was good pickup as a player but horrible contract that in a few years will be handcuffing us. We got softer and more expensive.Id guess now, we still dont make it out of first round of playoffs.

• 1 month later...
On 7/18/2016 at 11:09 AM, BluPuk said:

I can still recall (like it was yesterday) my Leafs' last cup win over the (then mighty) Habs. Sweet! That was 50 years ago this season!! (sigh)...

I haven't seen it, so it didn't happen. (My pro sports philosophy.) This franchise has won 0 Stanley Cups in my books.  :572958de506bc_lookingboard:

The most successful NHL franchises of generation X (my generation) are:

• New York Islanders
  • Edmonton Oilers
  • Montreal Canadiens
  • Detroit Red Wings
  • Pittsburgh Penguins
  • New Jersey Devils
  • Chicago Blackhawks
  • Los Angeles Kings
  • Colorado Avalanche

The Leafs are at 0. I don't believe they've ever won anything. I think they faked all of those banners just like the moon landing! ;)

Speaking of moon landings... can you believe that nobody has ever been back to the moon or gone to Mars or anything since the original moon landing? The longer we go without accomplishing anything in space, the more ammunition it provides to the conspiracy nuts out there. :(

Archived