Playoffs 2021 Opening Round: Boston Bruins vs Washington Capitals (BOS Wins 4-1)

Bruins vs Caps  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Who takes the series

• Capitals break out the brooms 4-0
    • Capitals donate just a single game win in 5
    • Capitals win a good series in 6
    • Capitals are pushed but win in 7
    • Bruins sweep 4-0
    • Bruins dominate in 5
    • Bruins are competitive and win in 6
    • Bruins edge out Caps in 7

1868270579_bruinsvscapitals.jpg.c5797af4ce46557edc34a99956399182.jpg

Opening series between two hard hitting teams.
Obviously, the Caps already won a game, so a Bruins sweep is impossible, so that poll option is null.

Still, lots of hockey to be played here, any and all discussion about this series can be done here.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to Playoffs 2021 Opening Round: Boston Bruins vs Washington Capitals (WSH Leads 1-0)

•  

Thought I would ‘transfer’ my post of yesterday in the other place, to here.

————————

For most of the year, the debate on which young Caps goalie, Ilya Samsonov or Vitek Vanacek, would lead the team in the playoffs, remained unresolved.  The consensus was not to go out of the way to trade for yet another netminder.

So...if you had 39-years and 359-days old backup Craig Anderson being the winning goalie for playoff game 1...you are tonight’s big winner!

As former late-night talk show host David Letterman was frequently wont to say:  “You can’t make this stuff up.”

Is it too much to ask that the Caps somehow win this series with each of four goaltenders getting a win?  Maybe tonite they pull Anderson after falling way behind, then comeback to get Pheonix Copley the win?  Then They lose twice then a game 5 win for Samsonov then Vanacek healed enough for a game 7?   Sorry I guess Letterman was wrong you can make this stuff up.

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to Playoffs 2021 Opening Round: Boston Bruins vs Washington Capitals (Series Tied 1-1)

Game 2: Bruins had the moxie at the end of the 3rd; then took advantage of the failed clearance in the first minute of OT.  Hate to see it as a Caps fan but not surprised to see the Bruins being the team to respond in the clutch.  

Sticking with the Bruins in six prediction.  Hope I’m wrong.  Can’t get the head and heart in the same place on this.

I can't figure out if I hate or love Marchand. He's like that annoying little brother that keeps spoiling all the parties, wants to be there all the time, but never knows how to behave himself.

1 minute ago, lynxrattle said:

I can't figure out if I hate or love Marchand. He's like that annoying little brother that keeps spoiling all the parties, wants to be there all the time, but never knows how to behave himself.

I'm decided.
I hate'em (on the ice anyways).

Guy is an elite player, but plays like a damned a-hole more often than not.
He might be a wonderful human being off the ice, I don't know, but on it, I hope he gets his snout planted into the end boards!  😆

The hate for Marchand is real of course, but not from me...

If he played on any other team, i'd probably loathe him as well, but when he's a pain in the ass on the ice, then pots the OT winner, my heart is happy.

• Like 1

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to Playoffs 2021 Opening Round: Boston Bruins vs Washington Capitals (BOS Leads 2-1)
1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

:bonkingheadonwall:

My feelings exactly!  If I knew the OT would end on such an ‘Ilya-advised’ way (as you put it) I’d rather have seen Boston win in regulation.

With very few exceptions (1990, 1998,  2018) it is maddening to watch this team each spring.

God i love playoff hockey ! Games likes this give me Agita....

Ovi's goal, awesome, just knowing where ti be on the ice, and taking a sweet pass from Mantha.

Taylor Hall's goal...jeeezus.

One perfect tip gets by Rask, Marchand with the equalizer semi-late....heart racing by now.

Double OT.....and one bad communication by Samsonov and whatshisface, leads to a game winner by Smith....who made the sick pass to Hall earlier. And Scums with Tuukka using his blocker as a fist....

All in all, i'm happy to be up by one rather than down.

8 hours ago, SaucyJack said:

‘Ilya-advised’ way

Was AO screaming at him when he left the bench??

I couldn't tell who he was directing his rage too?? 

Or was it towards someone else??

38 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Was AO screaming at him when he left the bench??

I couldn't tell who he was directing his rage too?? 

Or was it towards someone else??

Apparently he was speaking in Russian, so towards Samsonov.

3 minutes ago, lynxrattle said:

Apparently he was speaking in Russian, so towards Samsonov.

Ok man he was giving it too him....it was a very bad lackadaisical play that cost them the game.

But it was his first ever playoff game....Marty Biron would have been proud of that turnover.

Edited by OccamsRazor
#boubonup

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

who he was directing his rage to?

The WaPo article (Samantha Pell) suggests it was towards Sammy.  

w/o Sammy it would’ve been a regulation loss, he played great except that last bonehead move.

I dunno maybe Putin give Ovie latitude criticize other Russkie shape their heads towards glorious Cup victory, da?

• Haha 1

Russian coaching system is very authoritarian. They are not shy of saying it how it is. It might be too harsh for some, but if one gets to the NHL one must be able to take a lot of heat, and deal with it.

Meh, sucks for sure but both rask and samsonov were rock solid...sammy just picked a bad time to have an "ooops" moment.

And if you are a caps fan, you want him back in net for game # 4...if not, you kill his confidence.

1 hour ago, Brewin Flames said:

And if you are a caps fan, you want him back in net for game # 4...if not, you kill his confidence.

Exactly he is a kid making his first playoff appearance.

He will learn from it.

Best thing he can do is brush it off own it and move on the the next play and try to make up for it.

• Like 1

How could any neutral be rooting for the Caps?  Neutrals want to see entertaining quality ice hockey.  This Caps power play is pathetic.  

I started noticing this in the 2nd half of game 2 with a couple of anemic man-advantage tries.  Now my assumption is that the coaching staff are at least semi-competent.  So when we see:

- a power play rush start with crossing their own blue line then consistently passing backwards before crossing center

- a dump and chase about 3/4 of the time instead of a controlled carry with possession

...that this is the PP plan.  This must be what the coaches have instructed them to do.

It’s a tacit admission that this team lacks the requisite offensive puck carrying skills normally seen in a genuine Cup-contending squad.  The coaches have largely given up trying to have them do anything better.

Count these boys out even if they eke out a game 5 win.  

I guess it shows, as many here pointed out, that their trading deadline decisions didn’t help, either.