2021-22 Iowa Wild and Prospects

lynxrattle

1 hour ago, lynxrattle said:

It is why drafting the college guys are always risky.

All they have to do is refuse to sign and they are free to sign where ever they want.

Until the fix this loophole guys will continue to exploit it.

He was just a 7th rounder but that is besides the point.

You spend the time drafting and developing them and when they don't like the situation for whatever reason they get out of their rights being owned by just not signing by the deadline.

Then they are free to go where they want with no compensation to the team that drafted them.

It needs to be fixed where the drafting team can still retain their rights for a few years or something.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

All they have to do is refuse to sign and they are free to sign where ever they want.

You spend the time drafting and developing them and when they don't like the situation for whatever reason they get out of their rights being owned by just not signing by the deadline.

Then they are free to go where they want with no compensation to the team that drafted them.

It needs to be fixed where the drafting team can still retain their rights for a few years or something.

Thanks for the explanation. I did not know these nuances. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking recently about our goalie situation in the club. We have much better but still not too consistent goalies for our team. If no deal with Filip Lindberg, then we certainly should look for one out of 2 first rounder drafts this season for a goalie. Solid consistent goalie is a key for the team's success. Like our talented goalie prospect Lindberg did together with UMass team against 3 or 4 Minnesota teams during NCAA tournament and NCAA Frozen Four tournament this season and won it. Maybe he doesn't like to play in Minnesota and this is why he did not want to sign an agreement with our GM? Maybe he is preferring to play in Massachusetts for the Boston team?   Then we should look for  one or two Russian goalie prospects during this drafting season. It seems they always have some nice success during their career like current  Varlamov and Sorokin for Islanders; Vasilevskyi for Lightning; Varlamov before and Samsonov now for Capitals; Khudobin for Stars; retired Bryzgalov for Ducks... Why not to have this option in our Wild club history tryout too? Maybe that will help to bring the team to the top of Stanley Cup Finals? 

Sad news happened today - Iowa Wild General Manager and the Wild Assistant GM  the legend Tom Kurvers died after a long battle from a lung cancer. He was 58.

Here is a link to read from a Michael Russo article:

https://theathletic.com/2658482/2021/06/21/tom-kurvers-wild-lung-cancer/?source=emp_shared_article

Our deepest condolences to his friends and his family.

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/2/2021 at 3:41 PM, OccamsRazor said:

Well actually we didn't really spent that much time trying to develop him at all.  He didn't want 7th rounder money and figured he could get more as a free agent.  We'll see how that works out for him.  The Wild have drafted a lot of college players and this is one of the few times this scenario has happened to us.  IMO, I think it is short-sighted of him not to come to the Wild.  Minnesota's goaltending depth is relatively small.  Talbot, Kahkonen...and then Hunter Jones and that's about it.  If you're a goaltender looking for an opportunity, and I'm Lindberg then I could see myself getting placed into that #3 spot without too much trouble.  And since Talbot is only signed for 2 more years, if he performed well in Iowa he could find himself in Minnesota as a backup in 3 seasons.  That isn't too bad.  

2 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Well actually we didn't really spent that much time trying to develop him at all.  He didn't want 7th rounder money and figured he could get more as a free agent.

Yeah i get it but it still needs to be changed it doesn't work that way for kids who went to juniors.

Prospects should be allowed to just not sign with the team who drafted them and just be able to sign where ever they want regardless of the reason. Teams should be able to hold onto their rights for at least two years after they leave school. The rules need to be fixed to address this.

7 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah i get it but it still needs to be changed it doesn't work that way for kids who went to juniors.

Prospects should be allowed to just not sign with the team who drafted them and just be able to sign where ever they want regardless of the reason. Teams should be able to hold onto their rights for at least two years after they leave school. The rules need to be fixed to address this.

You don't have to explain it to me.  Nah, I'm fine with it being the way that it is.  Its always a fear, but IMO it makes it the team's responsibility to try to establish a relationship with these players even if they haven't signed a contract yet.  If that rapport is there, most college players sign with the club that drafted them.  

• Like 1

A nice article came up from hockeywilderness.com site regarding our prospects.

Rossi:

https://www.hockeywilderness.com/2021/7/7/22566806/minnesota-wild-top-prospects-marco-rossi-draft-picks

And regarding Boldy it was mentioned also from same source:

https://www.hockeywilderness.com/walk/2021/7/8/22566089/wilderness-walk-wild-trying-to-convince-menell-to-come-back

Menell should feel the incentive to want to be back.  The question is will the Wild give him the chance to prove to himself and the rest of the league that he can play and score a longer NHL deal?  

I think he's proven he's a more than capable player at the minor league and European league level.  

Marco Rossi skating through cones is pretty blah to me.  Yea, its great for a short video but it doesn't mean they're NHL ready no matter how fast they weave their way through.  

3 hours ago, Alexandron said:

A nice article came up from hockeywilderness.com site regarding our prospects.

Rossi:

https://www.hockeywilderness.com/2021/7/7/22566806/minnesota-wild-top-prospects-marco-rossi-draft-picks

And regarding Boldy it was mentioned also from same source:

https://www.hockeywilderness.com/walk/2021/7/8/22566089/wilderness-walk-wild-trying-to-convince-menell-to-come-back

Oops. My mistake. Regarding Menell...

They all (Rossi, Boldy, Menell...) should prove how good they are at any level at every game. None of them had a chance to play at least few games last season in the big club. Hope, this coming season we will be able to see them here too as well as other promising prospects. 

(shrugs)  I think Menell has nothing to prove at the minor league / European league level anymore.  You either think he's ready or he's not NHL-calibre.  That's why he wants a 1-year (1-way deal) and I don't blame him for that.  I'll give him credit, he's not afraid to take the road-less-traveled and has done so from his playing days all the way back to his late teens.  

Jr. B, to the WHL, to the AHL, the KHL and hoping or the NHL.  Not drafted.  Not many players from Minnesota can say they took that kind of path.  

Boldy I think is probably a lock to make Minnesota's roster.  Rossi I think its more 50/50 especially with the lost season.  I think they'd like to see him develop chemistry in a Top 6 role, but having him show he can thrive in Iowa might be the transition to that opportunity.  I think Boldy impressed enough of the team's brass / coaches that they'll want him with the big club right away.  

• Like 1

Sadly, but Dmitry Sokolov is expecting to return to Russia according to the Michael Russo info.  Hopefully, our center Alexander Khovanov will be able to come back from Russia to Minnesota this season. And maybe, our defenseman prospect Brenan Menell will be able to sign at least 1-year contract and to play for the big club. Like Menell, we have the other not drafted player Nico Sturm, who showed tremendous work ethic in 58 games played for the Wild team during 3 seasons. Last season (50 games) was especially productive for him (11 goals; 6 assists; +/- +10) and in 7 playoffs games(1 goal;1 assist; +/- +1) by playing  mainly in the 4th line. 

• Like 1

I am not sure if anyone saw this tweet.  But it was a video from 2018 of a conditioning skate at Tria during training camp.  Boudreau was having a group of players go through his infamous conditioning full-ice circuit.  

Sokolov was in that group and right away he was the slowest off the start.  And even as guys started to get tired and slow down, Sokolov damn near slowed to a slight glide.  Boudreau tried to encourage him to get moving...but he didn't either have the air, the legs or the desire to really hustle out and finish the drill.  

IMO, that kind of tells you why he didn't make it.  NHL shot, but everything else isn't really there.  Its why he dropped in the draft, its why he flamed out as a prospect.  

Khovanov IMO, is teetering on a similar flame out.  What happened last year in Russia was a big red flag whether the coach is a jackpipe or not.  He went to Russia because he felt he was too good for the AHL, but was then relegated to playing at a lower level and even then he was just ok.  That doesn't look too good.  Its time he comes back to North America and demonstrates he can be coachable and capable in the AHL with Iowa.  

Right now, and I'd give Khovanov about a 20% chance of making an NHL roster and that's probably being generous.  He has about a season to figure it out, because I feel confident we'll have Marat Khusnutdinov coming over next year as his KHL deal should expire then.  I've never heard of any sort of coaching drama with him at all.  Just praise...

So right now...here's what Iowa looks like according to CapFriendly.  

Forwards

RW - Mitchell Chaffee 

RW - Nick Swaney

C - Damien Giroux

C - Joey Cramarossa

RW - Ivan Lodnia

C - Connor Dewar

Defense:

D - Fedor Gordeev

Goaltenders:

Dereck Baribeau

Hunter Jones

Reportedly, the Wild want to sign back Luke Johnson, Kyle Rau, Dakota Mermis and RFA's Mason Shaw, Brandon Duhaime and Will Bitten.  Still that leaves some roster spots to fill.  

I haven't heard any talk about keeping AHL vets Andrew Hammond, Gabriel Dumont, Matt Bartkowski or Gerald Mayhew.  All of them were pretty good soldiers through the last few years and the purgatory that was being on the taxi squad.  So they may just pick these players back up too unless they have other ideas or want to chase an NHL dream someplace else.  

I think Adam Beckman, Ryan O'Rourke and Daemon Hunt have to play in major junior this year, or with the big club.    

I know it was mentioned up above, but if I'm Filip Lindberg and unless I think someone is going to give me an NHL gig immediately I don't understand why you wouldn't want to take a gig with the Wild.  He would probably in at the #3 or #4 goalie in the entire organization at this point.  It doesn't make sense to me unless he just wants to go and play in Europe.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Forwards

RW - Mitchell Chaffee 

RW - Nick Swaney

C - Damien Giroux

C - Joey Cramarossa

RW - Ivan Lodnia

C - Connor Dewar

Defense:

D - Fedor Gordeev

Goaltenders:

Dereck Baribeau

Hunter Jones

Reportedly, the Wild want to sign back Luke Johnson, Kyle Rau, Dakota Mermis and RFA's Mason Shaw, Brandon Duhaime and Will Bitten.  Still that leaves some roster spots to fill.  

I haven't heard any talk about keeping AHL vets Andrew Hammond, Gabriel Dumont, Matt Bartkowski or Gerald Mayhew.  All of them were pretty good soldiers through the last few years and the purgatory that was being on the taxi squad.  So they may just pick these players back up too unless they have other ideas or want to chase an NHL dream someplace else.  

I think Adam Beckman, Ryan O'Rourke and Daemon Hunt have to play in major junior this year, or with the big club.    

I know it was mentioned up above, but if I'm Filip Lindberg and unless I think someone is going to give me an NHL gig immediately I don't understand why you wouldn't want to take a gig with the Wild.  He would probably in at the #3 or #4 goalie in the entire organization at this point.  It doesn't make sense to me unless he just wants to go and play in Europe.  

Among all mentioned prospects I really would like to see a tryout in the big club Adam Beckman ASAP, who showed an outstanding offensive skills.

12 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Among all mentioned prospects I really would like to see a tryout in the big club Adam Beckman ASAP, who showed an outstanding offensive skills.

I think he has to play in Spokane or the big Wild.  Not until his junior season is over can he report to Iowa.

19 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Forwards

RW - Mitchell Chaffee 

RW - Nick Swaney

C - Damien Giroux

C - Joey Cramarossa

RW - Ivan Lodnia

C - Connor Dewar

Defense:

D - Fedor Gordeev

Goaltenders:

Dereck Baribeau

Hunter Jones

If Ryan O'Rourke has to go back to Jrs versus the AHL (where we played last year) is a wasted year of development for him.  He held his own just fine last year for a very young kid.  Just my $.02.  Also, if we are going to get through the ugly buyout years, they had better get these kids in the AHL soon and just 'hard pass' on the old deadwood - Rau, Shaw, Dumont, Bart, Mayhew.  There is nothing left to see with them.  Keep one max....

• Like 2

9 hours ago, EmptyShelf said:

If Ryan O'Rourke has to go back to Jrs versus the AHL (where we played last year) is a wasted year of development for him.  He held his own just fine last year for a very young kid.  Just my $.02.  Also, if we are going to get through the ugly buyout years, they had better get these kids in the AHL soon and just 'hard pass' on the old deadwood - Rau, Shaw, Dumont, Bart, Mayhew.  There is nothing left to see with them.  Keep one max....

I don't think so.  He didn't get a lot of power play time with Iowa.  He'll get that back in major junior.  Is it as great as being in the AHL, probably not.  But its just one season, or he can go and take his game to Europe but I think the Wild would prefer having him playing in North America.  

• Like 1

I just looked at Iowa Wild schedule 2021-2022.  Probably, this coming season is going to be the most interesting and the most difficult for the Iowa team in their history because they are going to play against 10 teams instead of usual 6-7 teams during the regular season , which is starting on October 16th.

The Wild also re-signed Andrew Hammond too.  So that means they have 3 potential goaltenders in Iowa in Hammond, Jones and Baribeau.  

Sokolov was cut loose...which was no surprise.  Shaw, Bitten, and Duhaime were all sent qualifying offers.  

Forwards

RW - Mitchell Chaffee 

RW - Nick Swaney

C - Damien Giroux

C - Joey Cramarossa

RW - Ivan Lodnia

C - Connor Dewar

C - Kyle Rau

Defense:

D - Fedor Gordeev

D - Riese Zmolek

Goaltenders: