Red Wings acquire Nedeljkovic

Red Wings acquire, sign breakout star Nedeljkovic

The Detroit Red Wings have acquired breakout goaltender Alex Nedeljkovic from the Carolina Hurricanes for a 2021 third-round draft pick and the rights to pending free agent goaltender Jonathan Bernier.

TSN.ca Staff

•  

Alex Nedeljkovic

Alex Nedeljkovic , Getty Images

The Detroit Red Wings have acquired breakout goaltender Alex Nedeljkovic from the Carolina Hurricanes for a 2021 third-round draft pick and the rights to pending free agent goaltender Jonathan Bernier.

Nedeljkovic, who was arbitration-eligible as a restricted free agent this summer, signed a two-year, $6 million deal with the Red Wings shortly after the trade.

Nedeljkovic, 25, posted a 15-5-3 record this season with a .932 save percentage and a 1.90 goals-against average. He went 4-5 in the postseason with a .920 save percentage and a 2.17 GAA.

A second-round draft pick of the Hurricanes in 2014, Nedeljkovic had appeared in a total of just six NHL games prior to this season.

Bernier, 32, posted a 9-11-1 record with a .914 save percentage and a 2.99 GAA in 24 games with the Red Wings this season.

The third-round draft pick is the 94th overall pick in this year's draft, which originally belonged to the Vegas Golden Knights.

As a Wings fan I am over the friggin moon with this deal. Simply delighted, never saw this coming at all.

Ned is a Cleveland boy from the Polish town of Parma, the kid can flat out play in net. I thought the Canes moving on from Mrazek and Reimer meant that they were handing the keys to the untra quick young kid, as a closet Caniac I simply do not understand this deal for them. I like Bernier, really, but he is more or less Reimer, clearly there is another move coming in net after this one.

Detroit, we have zero goalie prospects who will ever appear in an NHL arena without buying a ticket. Ned/Greiss give us an outstanding duo the best since Howard/Mrazek were on top of their gameseven or eight years ago. The cost of a goalie who we were not returning and a third, Yzerman has won this one hands down.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Wow....Has Stevie Y found his Detroit version of Andrei Vasilevskiy?

I remember when Vasy was brought on as Ben Bishop's back up, many including myself always hoped Bishop wouldn't continually go on the IR list because while Vasy looked good, we just weren't sure....he seemed to have holes in his game, but also showed flashes of brilliance.

Fast forward to Alex Nedeljkovic, who showed flashes of brilliance, while at the same time showed some holes in his game.

Vasilevskiy simply needed the confidence of the coaching staff and the actual game playing time (as we all know now, Vasy THRIVES under a big workload), and then he would do the rest!

So could Yzerman see the same possibilities in Ned?

The Detroit defense of course, will need to be strengthened.... even Vasy was the beneficiary of a good defense that improved even more over time, allowing him to hone his game.

An exciting time for Red Wings fans to get a goalie like Ned in their ranks.
Not just some guy who they are throwing in there to see if he sticks, but rather, a guy with a very GOOD chance of actually sticking.

Nice work once again, Mr. Yzerman.

• Like 2

wow .... agree with @TropicalFruitGirl26 never saw this coming.  I'm shocked the Cane's parted with him.  I'm not sold on Mrazek / Reimer combo in net.  Canes fans are pissed .....

Is this a BAD joke?..Bernier really?..back to the PK days unless there’s a plan over trading a starter for a backup Sheesh!..

Overpaying for a starting goaltender at three-f**king-million a year? Are you shitting me? We had depth. Suddenly we have nothing.

This has to be some sort of delayed April Fools day joke

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

As a Wings fan I am over the friggin moon with this deal. Simply delighted, never saw this coming at all.

Ned is a Cleveland boy from the Polish town of Parma, the kid can flat out play in net. I thought the Canes moving on from Mrazek and Reimer meant that they were handing the keys to the untra quick young kid, as a closet Caniac I simply do not understand this deal for them. I like Bernier, really, but he is more or less Reimer, clearly there is another move coming in net after this one.

Detroit, we have zero goalie prospects who will ever appear in an NHL arena without buying a ticket. Ned/Greiss give us an outstanding duo the best since Howard/Mrazek were on top of their gameseven or eight years ago. The cost of a goalie who we were not returning and a third, Yzerman has won this one hands down.

Congrats @yave1964 ..your team seems to have found a goalie you have been missing. 

• Like 1

HOW THE HECK DID STEVIE PULL THIS ONE OFF?!!

WHAT A FREAKING STEAL!!!

I have no idea how Yzerman did it, but if ANYONE was questioning his ability to run a franchise, question answered! Emphatically!!

Spike rates this trade a 10/10!

13 minutes ago, SpikeDDS said:

HOW THE HECK DID STEVIE PULL THIS ONE OFF?!!

WHAT A FREAKING STEAL!!!

I have no idea how Yzerman did it, but if ANYONE was questioning his ability to run a franchise, question answered! Emphatically!!

Spike rates this trade a 10/10!

Yzerman pulled something similar years ago poaching away Ben Bishop from Ottawa for Cory Conacher. 

• Like 1