Enlighten me:Chara's new record 108.8 mph

Guest The Quigster

Well... you haven't been watching for a while, b/c even as far back as 92/93 when Al Iafrate set the record at 105.2 mpg he had a skate in style. I'm only 31, but I don't remember anything but the "skate in and shoot" style for this competition.

(Iafrate video).... even worth a look for the Skullet he's rockin'.

@doom88

I just don't know how you go about policing that. Would a ref go and test every player's stick before a game? I think validating the results of such a rule would be tough. That is unless you made them all go back to wooden sticks (which might be interesting).

Ban stick models that don't meet tested requirements.

As far as wooden sticks go, I wish I knew why defenseman on PK don't use them. A defenseman without a stick is crippling on PK.

Now that I think about it, a return to wooden sticks could be interesting if paired with a reduction in goalie equipment. It could yield some incredibly athletic saves (goalies can move quicker, easier with less sumo action) on a more regular basis.

Well... you haven't been watching for a while, b/c even as far back as 92/93 when Al Iafrate set the record at 105.2 mpg he had a skate in style. I'm only 31, but I don't remember anything but the "skate in and shoot" style for this competition.

(Iafrate video).... even worth a look for the Skullet he's rockin'.

Meanwhile...Al Iafrate was a freak of nature. He was shooting it almost as hard with 1990 technology. The sticks they use today almost certainly add quite a few MPH.

Al Iafrate was nice, but the ONLY guy that should be mentioned here in reference to wooden sticks is Al Mcginnis. Before I give an excerpt, I will way in on my personal belief:

The current technology has as much detriment as it does advancement as compared to a wooden stick. The easy ones are:

1) Breaks easily (I actually had one snap on me going into the corner with a checker on my back and pretty much speared myself.

2) Has almost zero feel. It takes a LONG time to get used to not feeling almost zero weight of the puck on your blade.

I am torn between both. It took me a long time to find a stick in current technology that I felt comfortable with. What I will say is that just remember that the torque and bend are a replica of the wooden stick. Think leclair (in a Flyers sense). He always played with a wooden stick and had one of the heaviest (not necessarily fastest, but heaviest shots in the NHL).

I disagree with any banning. Of all the equipment to regulate (other than the curvature length (ps. when is the last time you heard that penalty challenge?)), the stick would be the last. The shoulder pads and elbow pads would be the first for me.

sorry, forgot this (I am not sure why I can not edit my post and paste this, but oh well):

The power of his shot grew into legend on January 17, 1984, in a game against St. Louis.[51][52] In his first full season with the Flames, MacInnis took a slapshot from just outside the Blues' defensive zone that struck goaltender Mike Liut on the mask. The shot split Liut's helmet while the puck fell into the net for a goal.[17] The power of his shot, and the fear it inspired in his opposition, led to MacInnis' success as an offensive-defenceman, especially as a threat on the power play.[53] He won the "Hardest Shot" competition at All-Star Game skills competitions seven times between 1991 and 2003.[1] He occasionally topped 100 miles per hour (160 km/h), including his win in the 2000 All-Star Game.[54]

sorry, forgot this (I am not sure why I can not edit my post and paste this, but oh well):

The power of his shot grew into legend on January 17, 1984, in a game against St. Louis.[51][52] In his first full season with the Flames, MacInnis took a slapshot from just outside the Blues' defensive zone that struck goaltender Mike Liut on the mask. The shot split Liut's helmet while the puck fell into the net for a goal.[17] The power of his shot, and the fear it inspired in his opposition, led to MacInnis' success as an offensive-defenceman, especially as a threat on the power play.[53] He won the "Hardest Shot" competition at All-Star Game skills competitions seven times between 1991 and 2003.[1] He occasionally topped 100 miles per hour (160 km/h), including his win in the 2000 All-Star Game.[54]

good history lesson!

No discussion of hardest shot can be complete without mention of Bobby Hull. His shot was allegedly clocked at 118 mph. Don't know how they measured it, I'm guessing he got up a full head of steam before shooting it.

Apparently true.

Apparently also true, but not really reported at the time, is that Hull's toupee also traveled in excess of 100 MPH, landing near the large picture of the Queen in the old Winnipeg Arena.

It wasn't a toupée silly, he had implants!

He may well have gotten plugs (like Lavi?), but he had a toupee at first, for awhile at least. Ask anyone old enough who followed the Jets/lived in Winnipeg back in the WHA days....

He may well have gotten plugs (like Lavi?), but he had a toupee at first, for awhile at least. Ask anyone old enough who followed the Jets/lived in Winnipeg back in the WHA days....

Ok, I'll take your word for it (I don't why but I will). I just remember the plugs.

This has nothing whatsoever to do with slapshots, but my mind wanders.

About Al Iafrate; Anybody see the movie Fargo? The guy who ran Steve Buscemi through the wood chipper is a dead ringer for him.

He once showed up for pre-season fat as a hog. Management gave him sh!t for it. His answer was that he'd tried to skate during the summer, but it made blisters on his feet.