Wild sign Merrill to a three year deal

IllaZilla

One more year probably would be OK for Merill, but 3 years kind of a lot.

Regarding Pitlick. According to his stats this is his best year in NHL. In 20 games 11 points (6 goals; 5 assists; +/- +1 ) by playing mostly in bottom lines. Strange decision.

Here is more to read on Pitlick's future:

https://www.hockeywilderness.com/2022/1/11/22878664/minnesota-wild-transactions-nhl-news-rem-pitlick-waivers

Interesting , Fiala has 7 goals in 33 played games this season and Pitlick has 6 goals; 5 assists in 20 played games, but was playing much less.

Rask has 4 goals and 6 assists (10 points) in 22 played games for the Wild team

Frederick Gaudreau is having 2 goals; 8 assists; +/-  -2(total 10 points) in 27 played games and is not on waivers.

Gaudreau is a right shot and takes face offs. That’s why he’s still on the roster. 

Both Rask and Pitlick are left shot centers. Rask takes face offs, but Pitlick doesn’t. The Wild knew they’d get Rask through waivers because no GM in their right mind would pick up that $4M cap hit. If Pitlick gets claimed, no loss. 

Still kind of scratching my head why the Wild claimed Pitlick in the first place…

And yeah, I think three years is a bit long for Merrill, but I’m guessing it is to get them some certainty through the next three seasons when they have $14M in dead cap space. 

Edited by IllaZilla
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

Possibly the cap disaster future is already beginning to show its ugly head. If, expect more weird sounding solutions.

Maybe even some trades of higher salaries to some needy teams for just picks...
Everybody knows ao our cap hit woes so no deals in our favor anytime soon.

Locked on Wild (look on YouTube)in his last issue presented very talented view on Merrill extension and Pitlick on waivers situation. It will be sad for me if someone will take Pitlick. I still remember his the most nicest goal from a sharp angle to a Blues goalie helmet into the net. He is a very hard working player and I would prefer him more in our team above Gaudreau, Rask, Duhaime.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Here is more to read on Pitlick's future:

https://www.hockeywilderness.com/2022/1/11/22878664/minnesota-wild-transactions-nhl-news-rem-pitlick-waivers

Interesting , Fiala has 7 goals in 33 played games this season and Pitlick has 6 goals; 5 assists in 20 played games, but was playing much less.

Rask has 4 goals and 6 assists (10 points) in 22 played games for the Wild team

Frederick Gaudreau is having 2 goals; 8 assists; +/-  -2(total 10 points) in 27 played games and is not on waivers.

It's past the 1:00 deadline, Any word on Pitlick being taken?

16 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

Wow. An idiotic decision by Bill Guerin.

I'm not happy about it either but with Ek, Greenway and possibly Kaprisov returning, Many have to be moved.
Rask no doubt will go back to Taxi Town, But who else to keep Rossi and Dewar up here.
Boldy should be staying.

Why Guerin did not put on waivers Duhaime, Gaudreau, who are having much worse stats than Pitlick? Both played more time too. Duhaime 4th round draft was making about same money as Pitlick  3rd round draft. I was not surprised at all that Pitlick  was taking right away , who had a hat trick during the 1st game for the Wild team, and who had a superb goal during the Winter Classic game.

I even would be happy that Greenway will be on waivers too. Without him team played not bad at all.

9 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Why Guerin did not put on waivers Duhaime, Gaudreau, who are having much worse stats than Pitlick? Both played more time too. Duhaime 4th round draft was making about same money as Pitlick  3rd round draft. I was not surprised at all that Pitlick  was taking right away , who had a hat trick during the 1st game for the Wild team, and who had a superb goal during the Winter Classic game.

I even would be happy that Greenway will be on waivers too. Without him team played not bad at all.

Duhaime and Gaudreau are still on the team because they are doing their jobs as third-fourth liners. They aren't shiny, but they get the job done. Teams need role players just as much as they need scorers. 

As much as you hate Greenway, he's doing his job too. I get that he is incredibly frustrating to watch. But every year he's increased his point totals while playing less games. 

Pitlick got caught up in a numbers game. The only options the Wild had to send to Iowa without waivers were Boldy, Duhaime or Dewar. Boldy and Duhaime are doing their jobs, so they're not going to Iowa. Not sure why they didn't send Dewar. Unless it's because Dewar makes less than Pitlick. Or like @lynxrattle said, Pitlick wasn't fitting in to the role they wanted him to play.

Edited by IllaZilla

16 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Duhaime and Gaudreau are still on the team because they are doing their jobs as third-fourth liners. They aren't shiny, but they get the job done. Teams need role players just as much as they need scorers. 

As much as you hate Greenway, he's doing his job too. I get that he is incredibly frustrating to watch. But every year he's increased his point totals while playing less games. 

Pitlick got caught up in a numbers game. The only options the Wild had to send to Iowa without waivers were Boldy, Duhaime or Dewar. Boldy and Duhaime are doing their jobs, so they're not going to Iowa. Not sure why they didn't send Dewar. Unless it's because Dewar makes less than Pitlick. Or like @lynxrattle said, Pitlick wasn't fitting in to the role they wanted him to play.

I think Pitlick  was fitting better this team according to his +/- plus 1 stats than Duhaime +/- - 4 and Gaudreau +/- -2 stats.

And I never said that I hate Greenway, I even said some positive good things about him during his play, but beside his last 2-3 games when he was able to play well, he did not do well in his previous games this season. 9 points (4 goals; 5 assists; +/- + 13) in 26 played games which is not a lot by playing lots of time in a top line. I missed Brodin, EEK, Kaprizov when they were injured. I do not miss Greenway, Spurgeon, Duhaime, Gaudreau when they were injured or sick. This is my personal opinion regarding these players.

Duhaime was kept over Pitlick for size and grit. The team can only have so many small guys if they are going to make a run in the playoffs.

The only unfortunate part is losing Pitlick for nothing. I am sure Guerin would have liked him to clear waivers, but has no control over the dumpster fire Canadians.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tomdog said:

Duhaime was kept over Pitlick for size and grit. The team can only have so many small guys if they are going to make a run in the playoffs.

The only unfortunate part is losing Pitlick for nothing. I am sure Guerin would have liked him to clear waivers, but has no control over the dumpster fire Canadians.

Good point about Guerin's wishes. I agree there. Pitlick is worth something, be it a pick or whatnot, but he is NHL caliber. Unfortunately the Habs noticed that too.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tomdog said:

Agree, we lost him for nothing. Actually, I do not see a lot of differences in their sizes. Duhaime 6'2"(188 cm) ; 201 lbs (91 kg) and Pitlick 5'11" (180 cm); 198 lbs (89 kg). Pitlick's grit was better than Duhaime's. +/- +1 for Pitlick; +/- -4 for Duhaime. As well as he was more healthy than Duhaime; no sick on Covid protocol and no injury for this player. Duhaime had both.

Guerin signed Pitlick last fall (October 6,2021)on waivers from Nashville, Guerin lost him this winter (January 12,2022) on waivers to Canadiens. End of story.

Here is already Wikipedia presentation of Rem's Pitlick career:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rem_Pitlick