Sobering Loss; Sobering Assessment

Guest Howie58

If they get blown out by Detroit, a likely scenerio, then the Snider Holmgren Comcast spin will start in earnst. If Laviolette is the fall guy I will divorce this team forever and move to NHL Center Ice. When you don't have a farm system that deveops players like the Red Wings do, and have done consistently with excellence, you get the slop that we have consistently seen the past 20+ years with this Flyers franchise. Excuse after excuse year after year. It makes it hard for a local hockey fan to get on board with this franchisee's as their local NHL team. I am so tired of hearing Snider say he does everything to win, then does not do everything to win because of the stupid personnel decisions of this franchise. Ok, let's see what this genius Holmgren does. The Pronger situation masks the real situation. Dump and chase does not work in the NHL today with the size and skill set of our forwards. We do not have an Alpha Male beast center on the whole team. There needs to be a better defensive puck control system with better backchecking and defensive scheme. The D is truly porous and lightweight, no grit or meanness. No blue line fear. Thrown around like rag dolls. By the NY Rag Dolls. Start moving pieces now like Carle, Colburn, Lilja, Gus. Get a mean SOB crease clearing D Beast for the Pronger money. Even if Pronger comes back, you get a washed up 37 year old with a bad pumpikin head and a financial lead anchor. Pronger was arguably the second greatest D man after Off, very diffent styles, but The Alpha make D Beast. But, time to move on. Tell him to retre and Comcast take the insurance money. Goalie? This is on Holmgren. This was his defining off season moment. Maybe with a D in front of him Bryz would look better. Let's see if the Flyer Homerism gets a back seat to Comcast greed here. Got to sell the seats and merchandise. Flyers Hockey is Big Business.

BOI: I think Detroit and Nashville might teach us something about player development. I am not sure if things change a lot until Snider's passing.

Best,

Howie

@Howie58

I'm surprised to say the least that you would lead off with Bob being the #1 problem. He played as well as Lundqvist and there was nothing at all wrong with his positioning. If you don't challenge shooters in the NHL, they will pick you apart. You have to rely on your teammates to prevent back door passes and they didn't do it. I actually don't think the Flyers played badly yesterday, except on the PK. No way should he have been pulled given the way he played yesterday.

Hartnell's interference call was bogus in my book and in any case, he can't stop crashing the net and doing what he does to be successful. Mez deserved his penalty but I wouldn't call it stupid. That kid of stuff happens and I can understand why no one thought the Ranger's 28th ranked PP would explode for 3 goals. It was a shocker.

Terp: I don't think Bobo's play is necessarily all his fault. Reese and or his inexperience may be factors. That said, I think his presence here is confused--if they wanted him as a budding starter, they should have gotten an elder statesman in the off season, not Bryz.

Best,

Howie

Why don't you 'move along' if you are going to be rude. It was just an idea. Didn't say it was the case.

That wasn't intended to be a personal attack, but more of a strong point. Someone else recently wanted to blame the goalie coach, and I seriously couldn't figure out why. No rudeness intended.

Lavy is a solid NHL coach. And he has a Cup with a very average Carolina team with a very average goalie. I also grew up with the kid in my home town so I am here to tell you Doom he was a good player with a good head on his shoulders. McCarthy can go tomorrow and I will be happy. No more homerism. Go outside.

Are you saying I'm going all homer (fan of home team, not Flyers GM) on this forum? I posted in support of Lavy, and instead suggested that the guy who I think is the D coach is garbage. I will stick to that statement, and don't think it is a homer thing to say at all.

Are you saying I'm going all homer (fan of home team, not Flyers GM) on this forum? I posted in support of Lavy, and instead suggested that the guy who I think is the D coach is garbage. I will stick to that statement, and don't think it is a homer thing to say at all.

I would agree with you. I like all of Howie's points though.

@doom88

I wonder if Jody Shelley doesn't wind up as an assistant coach somewhere ala Craig Berube, he has a clear love of the game and has been one of jagrs pupils... and just seems to like being associated with hockey.

I don't know much about what chief knows about the pp/PK as a coach , other than he never struck me as a student of the game in his playing days, and I go all the way back to Hershey with him, So I am surprised to see him as a guy that Lavy would keep when he came aboard.

@SoCalFlyfan

This team has played much better on the road than at the wells faraway center . The ticket prices have pushed the fans out of the venue and onto center ice. There is no home ice advantage to that hulking structure. Maybe the travel helps the youngsters to focus on hockey.

Unlike you I'm not supremely disappointed by this team, only the 51 million dollar man.

"This team has played much better on the road than at the wells faraway center"

So it's the fans fault we're terrible at home ? Tickets don't come cheap at MSG and the Rangers are unbeatable there. Cmon' , sure the Philly fans blow, but you can't blame them for Lavi's inability to adjust his broken system or the fact that a goon is responsible for our special teams.

"This team has played much better on the road than at the wells faraway center"

So it's the fans fault we're terrible at home ? Tickets don't come cheap at MSG and the Rangers are unbeatable there. Cmon' , sure the Philly fans blow, but you can't blame them for Lavi's inability to adjust his broken system or the fact that a goon is responsible for our special teams.

no, just saying that the team plays better on the road, judging by your comment you're expecting a loss tonight; and that may happen, Detroit is very good at the Joe, but they are playing with a back up keeper and our guys focus better on the road. Now whether it's because there aren't 13000 people waiting for something to go wrong and the other 7000 don't give a sh!t or because there's less distraction; i don't know but this team has not played well at the WF center since it came into existence. when i've gone to games in that palace the crowd hasn't been able to be a factor, like in the days of the spectrum.

kind of like what happend with the colts going from the RCA dome to the Lucas Oil center.